1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Segfault on chat input

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by EvgEniRus, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. EvgEniRus

EvgEniRus Void-Bound Voyager

Entering too many characters into chat (not sending them, just entering into text field) causes segmentation fault that leaves no trace in game logs (the logs just end abruptly).

Relevance:
    Since /spawnitem commands have to be entered into chat, object data is limited to about 26000 characters. With how custom signs encode their data (literal 'xx00y01=rrggbbFF;' string for every pixel), that's a little more than 1400 pixels, which is not enough for even 6 animation frames! Of course, creative use of image processing directives (instead of just '?replace') may help, but that's beside the point.

How to reproduce:
    Enter somewhere between 26000 and 26300 (at least I never got numbers out of this range) characters into text box under chat, without sending. (Might want to copy-paste first 26000 chars generated by some script, to save time.) Somewhere in this interval, entering next character will crash the game instantly.

Linux Mint 18.2 (Based on Ubuntu 16.04). Starbound (and many other games) lag or crash when using libraries included with Steam and games, so I disable/delete them and install all required libraries from repositories. (Reversing the process is too much trouble to test if the bug would still be reproducible on my system.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018