Security Cameras

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Alternal, Nov 3, 2012.

?

Should security camera's be implemented?

1. Yes they should

30 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. I believe they should

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. This needs some work, let me tell you why...

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

So I recently watched the new building demonstration video and fell in love with it, this game is looking so beautiful.
    Anyways, all of the new furniture blew my mind, but especially the animated ones, like the monitors and electric surges.

That got me thinking though, with this wiring system, why couldn't we have security cameras? What we'd need is a monitor that will fit on the back layer's walls that's big enough to show you whatever is in the vicinity of the camera you put up. I know you'd be able to see out of your walls and everything, but what if you had a massive base and the camera's were 100 blocks away? It could make for some wicked assault games where a team tries to take over a base. But at the middle is someone planning and watching all of the entrances.

Even in solo, you'd be able to see incoming enemies or events.

Islan 12, Noc, Aer_ and 1 other person like this.
  2. bounding star

bounding star Existential Complex

You could have sentry guns next to them....

TheAwesomeAvian likes this.
  3. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

Well shit I totally messed up that poll.
    The second option should say "I believe they shouldn't"

TheAwesomeAvian likes this.
  4. dean

dean Void-Bound Voyager

I just thought of another use for cameras. If you're in multi-player mode and your ship arrives at a new planet a built in camera and display screen could be used to communicate with any other vessels in orbit while you're on the bridge.

The camera could also be used to communicate with those on the planet assuming they have the corresponding technology necessary to send and receive transmissions.

Noc likes this.
  5. Awwkaw

Awwkaw Starship Captain

i don't know if you know bout gunpoint, but secuirity cams could be used that way, it would be awsome

6. CiberX15

CiberX15 Big Damn Hero

Yes, at the very least i think the cams should be functional planet-side, if not capable of ship to ship/interstellar transmissions. There's something to get you thinking, what if a camera planet-side could transmit to the station. You could watch all of the planets you have bases on from the safety and comfort of the station. That however might be taking this to the extreme. From a purely practical standpoint I doubt they would actual keep the planets active when no one was on them since it would use up more system resources.

Still, functional cameras for the win!

7. Awwkaw

Awwkaw Starship Captain

maybe holograms for calls like in star wars :rofl: it would make a nice cumunication system, and make you able to talk to the persons who had given you a quest while on it :rofl:

Islan 12 likes this.
  8. leviticus6

leviticus6 Void-Bound Voyager

i like the idea of cameras on planets viewed from the station. i think it should be limited, though. maybe you can make a camera/spawner thing where the camera only sees the area you would be landing at. it would be a way to view your spawnpoint for enemies, but it only can be used AFTER you have landed on the planet once before, so you aren't just using it to skim planets without landing.

9. Awwkaw

Awwkaw Starship Captain

sound like a great idea, but since you land at a certain spot, then if you dont have the opputunity to scan the planet i'd be fine with this on the first landing

10. leviticus6

leviticus6 Void-Bound Voyager

of course, after exploring the planet you can choose where you land, and therefore it will allow you to move the camera to where your landing spot is (like near a base you choose).

11. Awwkaw

Awwkaw Starship Captain

it's been stated in the livestream that the beam take the highes point of blocks, so i don't think you'll be able to select, it might be unsure thou

12. wsensor

wsensor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I could see right clicking on a computer monitor in game to pop up a window showing an area in camera view to a linked camera.

bounding star likes this.