Sea Monster?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reneeisxena, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

Ok please don't laugh but I've heard that there is a sea monster that appears in the ocean between the far left dock and the one next to Willy's. In that area where the little boat that brings in the jellies at the end of the summer.

Has anyone ever seen this? Is it real and when and how does it appear? I play only on a PS4 so I've wondered if this is exclusive to the PC.

If anyone has a screen shot of the Monster please share it.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

It's not a sea monster, it's a Merfolk. He can rarely show up in the ocean.

• plagueborn667

plagueborn667 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I saw it the other day and went to look it up. It's a merperson but u can't catch it. Purely cosmetic. I was like dude! Wtf was that???

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

Full info with screenshots on the wiki: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/The_Merpeople

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
          • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

It is rare! I'm coming up on 2,000 hours in game, and I fish a lot. I've seen him maybe four times. Always seems to be right by that corner of Willy's wharf.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

You posted that and something went *click* in my memory. I realized what it was after a second.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The merfolk appears in exactly the same spot where the new boat content is due to be added. A boat that is at least hinted may be a glass-bottomed thing or a submersible. I wonder-- are we going to see this little background joke expanded into a more detailed story element in the coming update? Hmmm! Pure speculation, of course, and it's likely just a coincidence... but it's a fun thing to imagine!

BentFX and ManaUser like this.
              • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

I'm gonna say probably just a coincidence, it's a dock after all, that's where boats go :p
                Would definitely be fun if the merfolk would show up once in a while in the next update!

• davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I have also seen it several times, I was always going to take the hook in that area, to see if it fished whatever it was, I thought it would be some strange fish xD

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

True! But the wharf area is pretty decent sized, with a lot of side piers and even that one that goes all the way off to the east where you catch the Crimsonfish. On the other hand, if that boat belongs to Willie, it only makes sense he'd tie up right in front of his own place. Ah well, it was just a fun thought.

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

Merfolk huh, ok. Now I want to see one. Guess I'm gonna be doing lots of fishing on the dock. Does he/she/it only appear around the time of the luau? I am determined to see it now. I will let you know if I do.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

As far as I know it can pop up anytime. The Luau dialogue is just a little easter egg-- a bit of local background CA threw in, it's got nothing to do with actually seeing the creature. (In fact as the Wiki points out there's no in-game confirmation that that thing in the water actually /is/ a merperson. That's just a reasonable conclusion given there's no other clue what it's supposed to be! I still think it's a Deep One.)

Reneeisxena likes this.