1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Screen Tearing

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Varska, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varska

Varska Tentacle Wrangler

This is the only problem I am having, flawless game otherwise so far.

Consistent screen tearing whether or not I have it full screen, windowed, different resolutions, forcing v-sync on or off using the nvidia panel

GeForce 670gtx
    Ivybridge 3570k

StrayArctic likes this.
  2. Varska

Varska Tentacle Wrangler

Bump :3

3. StrayArctic

StrayArctic Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having the same issue, always having screen tearing while the fps is always at 60 with v-sync off and on.

gtx770
    haswell 4670k

4. Trunn

Trunn Intergalactic Tourist

Had some heavy tearing that was fixed by resetting all NVIDIA options to default.
    I think I still see a bit of it, but it's at least almost unnoticeable now.

GTX 660 Ti
    i5-4670K

5. Screen tearing is usually caused by vsync turned off

My suggestion is turn vsync on

or if vsync ON is a problem try

vsync OFF and fps limit to the screen frequency -1 (btw also checks the frequency windows settings are set to the max your monitor supports)

Like this picture I took some days ago

[​IMG]

6. Trunn

Trunn Intergalactic Tourist

Okay, after posting I continued experimenting since, though what I did helped, it wasn't quite as unnoticeable as I first thought.
    Had already tried what class101 is suggesting, but for me that didn't help with the tearing.

Was poking around in starbound.config to see what different things do and I actually think I managed to actually get rid of it entirely.
    Though I still don't know exactly what they do or why this helps; Setting "renderSleep" and "waitForUpdate" to false seems to do the trick.
    I think renderSleep's intended function is to not waste energy updating the screen more than necessary, while waitForUpdate I thought would have something to do with making the game speed dependent on the FPS, which it doesn't seem to do.

Still need a lot more testing, but I should have gotten myself lunch hours ago. After I get something to eat I'll continue experimenting and post updates if I figure anything out.

7. NewYears1978

NewYears1978 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am having the same issue. If I run the normal client I get BAD screen tearing. Doesn't matter if I force on Vsync in inspector or anything.

Running OpenGL there is no tearing..but then I get FPS issues when recording.

8. NewYears1978

NewYears1978 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Turning off Vsync in the config file seemed to fix it for me.

I have FPS issues even on my GTX 680 though when using the normal client. Using the openGL client is flawless, but when I try to record I drop FPS to 30...

Just can't win with this game :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.