1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrapped beta races?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by robbieradiant, Jan 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. robbieradiant

robbieradiant Void-Bound Voyager

hello! i was browsing some steam posts, and in a tutorial I came across this image.

[​IMG]

the person that created it claimed that these were scrapped beta races. does anyone know if this is true? and if so, where can I find more info? i like the designs and really would like to know more.

2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I don't know much about them (since I was not there when the game is in beta), so I can't say if it is true or not (but perhaps yes). But looking at these designs, I think I can explain and predict some (at least according to my opinion and my experience of the game).

That one with the bunny-looking appearances, looks similar to the other race that was removed before the game get in to full release. They are called Rainbows, and they are a placeholder race. They live in the colorful biome.
    [​IMG]

As that one with one eye and light green skin, I don't know their name, but I think they are a minor race that is suppose to be the inhabitant of the eyepatch biome. I mean, I think it's quite obvious, who else would live in a biome with vegetations look like eye?
    [​IMG]

While that one with the blue skin (again, I don't know their name), it looks like they are a race that are made from crystal, and they live in the prism biome. Why? Well, we can find many prism-related ruins and furnitures in that biome that look like that it was made for them.
    [​IMG]

Now for the two purple one (yes, both of them, the one with the tentacle mouth and the one with four eyes and fangs(?)), I think one of them (or both) are the inhabitant of the mutated biome. Why I guess like that? Well, they are purple, and we can find a costume armor that looks like them in that biome. Plus, we can find Alien Fruit in that biome (which, yes, it's purple like them).
    [​IMG]

For that one with tail and lizard-looking appearance, well, maybe they live in the toxic biome. Why? Perhaps you can already guess it. They are green, and they have yellow eyes, which sounds quite perfect with toxic related things. Plus, this biome looks perfect for them.
    [​IMG]

For the rest, I am not sure. But for the penguin-looking, I think it's quite clear that they are replaced by that minor race, Penguin (you now, that cute, little, and fearless flightless bird).

So, that's all. Just remember that this explanation is not a fact, it's just my personal opinion. If you want to know the exact explanation about it (since not even the wiki explain about it), maybe you can ask Brice himself (the creator of the game) about it. Sorry for wasting your time reading my opinion.

Ickura, NuclearSlayer52 and STCW262 like this.
  3. Ambose

Ambose Void-Bound Voyager

the bunny one is in a mod that you can use and download on steam or on the forums its called the Bunnykin

and the penguin one you can download too, its the pengukin.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2021
  4. robbieradiant

those are recreations of these. not the originals.

even if this isn't canon, I like these ideas. i couldn't figure out what some of them were, this helps. though, I don't think the bunnies were the rainbow race, they seem very different in appearance. thank you for telling me about the rainbow race though, adds to my list of races (and this one actually has information!)

5. Ambose

Ambose Void-Bound Voyager

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2021
  6. Daikon Ocelot

Yes, I think there are some mods that try to implement some of them into the game.
    You're welcome. It's just something pass my mind when I first see the design some times ago. The bunny-looking one, yes, I agree, I think they may have another name (and not Rainbows), since, in my opinion, their designs are slightly better than Rainbows. It must be a different race, or maybe a reworked version of Rainbows.

But, looking at all of them, really made me wish CF could somehow revive them and actually implement them into the game. Make them as a minor race perhaps (or at least), and give them a bit of lore to make them alive and integrated with the game.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    STCW262 likes this.
  7. robbieradiant

i'm gonna be honest, i looked up the rainbows and i don't see them as anything even related to the bunny race. especially with the small amount of lore they had, they were clearly deformed apex instead of bunnies.

also, i think you might be interested that i'm making a mod adding these races into the game. playable and npcs.

forgot to reply to this specifically but. the bunnykin looks nothing like the bunnies found in the photo, they're only similar in the fact that they're bunnies.

STCW262 likes this.
  8. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

@Ambose Please don't stack posts. Use the edit function to add to your posts or wait for someone else to reply first. I've merged your posts.

9. Daikon Ocelot

Rainbows is just a placeholder. That's why they look unfinished. They talk like an Apex, their house is just a wooden house with low (or no) aesthetic nor culture, and their color is too "colorful." I am not saying Rainbows and that bunny-looking race is related. I am just saying that bunny-looking race is perhaps and possibly the newer version of Rainbows, replacing Rainbows.
    They do have a very different ear design. The one in the picture is better and customizable (unlike Rainbows looking a lot like Power Rangers).
    I can be quite picky about mods, but perhaps I'll look forward to it.

10. robbieradiant

I'm aware the rainbows are placeholders. They have actual lore and it states that they're deformed Apex, not at all related to anyway to bunnies, so there's no way they could be newer versions.

11. Daikon Ocelot

Rainbows does talk like an Apex, but they are not a deformed Apex, or even an Apex at all (they do talk like them, but it's just the code in the game). And also there is no lore talking about them, they don't even have any lore of their own like the other races did.

Anyway, It seems that you really don't like Rainbows, but it's not my place to judge. I am not fond of them either. I am not the author, and it's all just opinion.

12. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

I'm fairly certain that these old race concepts hail from the alpha days actually, as for those rainbow bunnies, it was pretty clear that they were just apex that had been experimented on if I'm not mistaken (I don't really look into old obsolete assets much heh)

13. robbieradiant

i do like rainbows. i'm really interested in them, but there is lore. in their dialogue. all of their dialogue points to them being deformed apex, in a big ape experiment or something.

Daikon Ocelot and Armok like this.
  14. Daikon Ocelot

I see, but their dialogue cannot be considered as their lore. They speak like an Apex is because they use the Apex dialogue, the Apex code in the game, since they are a placeholder.

The only result of the Apex experimentation according to the lore is that mutant Apex we usually found in their lab, and not the Rainbows.

15. robbieradiant

i don't check the forums much so this is late but. they have ***original*** dialogue. dialogue exclusive to their race. it's not apex dialogue. it's original. to this race. it's not even hidden in the files, it's literally right there. there's readily available pastebins online containing it.

16. Daikon Ocelot

Well, very well then. But it's not something I would take as the current original lore.

Armok likes this.
  17. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

it's worth noting that they were apex in costumes basically, and that their dialogue did imply miniknog experiments, although then again, the deadbeat and alpacas are technically humans in costumes too, while the frogg and agaran are hylotl and floran respectively in terms of "behind the scenes" stuff (although it's pretty obvious with the agaran, and deadbeat as well). Only the penguins, shadows and Fenerox are their own unique species in terms of actual code and sprites

18. Daikon Ocelot

If CF wants to update the game, updating or remaking this minor races would be one of the best choices available.

19. BAM-BIN-0

BAM-BIN-0 Guest

I want spooky bone men back.

chucklefish please.

20. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

pretty unlikely at this point (that is to say, unlikely for any new races to be added in the future, future updates in general aren't out of the question yet), unlikely even back in early access. On the bright side there's a skeleton race or two out there here on the forums mod section/starbound workshop