Say NO to Mid-Combat Construction

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Kajnake, Jul 25, 2016.

?

Do you agree with:

1. Buliding dirt towers mid-combat is annoying/cheap

27.8%
  2. Blueprint, erase and fill mode's for matter manipulator is a cool idea

33.3%
  3. Dungeon-not-being-able-to-mine-until-dungeon-objective-gets-completed is a cool idea

50.0%
  4. Blueprint, erase and fill mode's for matter manipulator is a GREAT idea

33.3%
  5. It's all just a waste of developers time and resource

16.7%
  6. Jelly bean

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kajnake

Kajnake Void-Bound Voyager

It has been enough...
    So many conflict's have been avoided thank's too Matter Manipulator, but that's even worse!
    Imagine giant castle ruins... With a bunch of opened chest's, alive guard's, with a LOT of dirt everywhere just imprisoning every single guard making them useless... That way everyone that had a matter manipulator and mined a lot just took out the dangeroust's dungeons on every planet leaving no loot for properly prepared heroes with guns and blunt and melee and magic and others. Gun shops loose on price to the point that dirt is the only thing that cost a bunch, but dirt is on every planet! The whole concept of something that was someday called economy no longer exists! Since then the greatest heroes hided on the lonelyiest planet there is and they wait, until the dirt supplies will run out compleletly and the world will someday need them again. Until that time, they will probably play poker games, chess, and cuddle their little fluffalo's on their little farm, but under the farm there lies incredible ammount of weapons, magical stuff, lazer's and bullets. Just waiting until they get to be used again. Someday... Someday.

What i mean is- Do something so matter manipulator wont be the best solution, where the victim, and the attacker dont gets hurt. And the wonderfull heroes that are actually using weapons wont be punished by death for fighting, not imprisoning random cultist camps, jumping across the "floor is lava" dungeon part, not buliding dirt path across it, trying to fight "Super" creature that is on every planet in number of 1, not buliding 2 pillars and platforms accross them imprisoning the beast and doing cheap shots from higher ground.

What would you say that there would be another tool? The blueprint tool. For the planet manipulator to work, player would first need to draw some blueprints with the material he desires, and then switching to matter manipulator and filling the blueprints?
    For better visualisation ill write it as i would imagine it work:
    Player chooses dirt from his hotbar and instead of buliding dirt tower straight away, he draws matter manipulator and blue light lights on, then he starts drawing blue glowing outlines of block placement he see's fitting, erases some by switching to alternative, red mode, and when the blueprint is done he switches to green matter manipulator mode and fills the blueprint with not the material he's holding, but with the material he draw the blueprint with.

Also- Dungeon-not-being-able-to-mine until the objective get's done (Opening a chest, slaying the boss, destroing the evil statue or something) that would show as a quest when player is near the dungeon, and only after player complete's that, dungeon ornaments and block could be accesible by matter manipulator

Thank you for reading my suggestion. Big <3 to all humanity and not-humanity!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Zisi

Zisi Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure how this is even a problem... why would you bother using dirt when you can just kill them all? In some distant past iterations the next tier mobs would insta kill you, just finished a 1.0 playthrough, everything is pretty non threatening, I just don't understand why anyone would bother walling off enemies now.

THAT SAID, I agree in principal. However there are some edge cases where this would be annoying, for example a mob that is "in combat" with you, but not reachable by you, because you can't dig to it while in combat. For preconstructed encounters like the story missions and challenges this is controllable, and of course they do have it disabled in those cases. Outside of that though it gets significantly harder not to run into problems.

Kajnake likes this.
  3. Kajnake

Kajnake Void-Bound Voyager

After some thinking i agree with you, but i still think that constructing blueprints, then filling them would be fun :nurunaughty:
    You are bringing civilization to a wild, jungle planet, and you don't have enough reasources to bulid a really good looking home, so you are buliding blueprint instead, then you gather those materials and filling the blueprint would be almost automatic.
    That would get so much that odd satisfaction to buliding (Im talking about kind off satisfaction)
    But i started thinking about putting torches, buliding quick ladders from platforms...
    And yeeeaaah
    It would be really annoying when you're not doing anything in particular
    Or big
    Or really pretty
    So i think it should be optional
    I guess i'll edit my suggestion then?
    Or i should not bother?
    I dunno 乁(• ε •)ㄏ

4. Lintton

Lintton Guest

This is a loaded poll. :(

5. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

You could extend this logic and say that ranged weapons are 'cheap' or really anything that deviates from a romanticized, subjective experience.

I would say that using your MM as a weapon is a unique-(ish) thing to Starbound and therefore it is playing the game proper (the way that driving a car is proper in a racing game). Ultimately, if you find this behavior distasteful, you are afforded the freedom to abstain from participating in it-- as well as the luxury to avoid playing with people who do :)

Although, as stated before, blowing thine enemies to smithereens with grenades and rockets is A LOT easier, faster and $$$PROFITABLE$$$ I think a blueprint-like mode could be useful in a copy-paste way to quickly form large structures but, I wouldn't want it as the MM's standard mode of operation.

Dungeons used to be locked by shield generators that would need to be deactivated before you could use your MM on the dungeon's structure. I have mixed feeling about this--as you have stated, this does undermine (pun unintended) the challenge of the dungeon however, to prohibit the use of the MM at anytime is to subvert many of the games very core concepts. This is a game that has dungeons and dungeons should be challenging but In the end, it's a game all about the hero who saves the universe and his/her all-powerful matter manipulator so, dungeons are just going to have to take it on the chin.

Crossfang likes this.
  6. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I would considering this a real problem if Starbound was difficult in the first place, this game is so casual it makes Dark Souls a piece of poetry. Really, using dirt to avoid fighting guards is like saying you like eating soup with a fork (I did once, took forever)

But in honest seriousness, the whole point of having guards fill up a placeis to make the experience "seem" rewarding, like there was some sort of challenge for the player to have, rather than just raid the whole place clean. And it would take longer to use dirt than just murdering the lackluster guards and monsters set on said dungeons.

7. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

It makes stuff easier, to be sure, but there's a very simple fix to this.

Give enemies the capability to destroy blocks.

The main problem with using the MM tool mid-combat is that only players have this option. Nobody else can place or dig blocks, so they have no idea what to do when the player draws a cage around them and suddenly they're being poked in the foot through a hole with a spear.

Instead of taking the ability away from players, give the ability to the enemy.

More options > Less.

8. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

this is a good idea.

9. AngelusNox

AngelusNox Void-Bound Voyager

Worst Idea ever.
    Did not work in "similar" games, got removed because everyone hated it and it added a ton of new problems.

10. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

I think it is a cool idea, but i feel like the developers could implement other stuff instead. It would be cool if it were added and building would be faster, but i don’t feel like it needs to be added immediately.

11. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Not totally agreed, but, okay. How about...

... uh... OH! Y'know how your crew teleport to you when you get out of range? What of enemies can do that? You trap them behind a wall or something they can teleport to you after a few seconds of trying and failing to path their way into an attacking position.

12. nomad ninga

nomad ninga Star Wrangler

also a bad idea if you need to run a away this would completely stop you, and if one of the mobs jumps in front of you your just dead, maybe in survival up if you take damage you couldn't build for 5-10 secs

also if something cant get to you do to the natural blocks it could now get to you making ranged weapons even worse.

13. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

Honestly, the solution is pretty simple; bring back dungeon shield generators. There was no reason at all to remove them. Make it so that, just like in legacy versions of the game, dungeons are equipped with a generator that prevents the player from modifying terrain within its field of influence, and allow the player to shut down and destroy the generator once they reach the end, or one of the "end" points, of a dungeon.

But to be perfectly honest, I never actually tamper with dungeons anyway. It's both more fun, more time-efficient, and more monetarily rewarding, to play through dungeons normally. Not only did 1.0 make combat a lot more fun, but it made it a fair amount easier, to the extent that...yeah, one rarely ever dies in this game except by something stupid like panicking and getting overcome by flying monsters, or just plain old getting struck by a meteor.

14. nomad ninga

nomad ninga Star Wrangler

i only die to bats and being pushed down bottomless pits.

15. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

It wasn't necessarily so casual much earlier in development, depending upon your luck. My character just escaped(depending upon race) the game told me, and now I had to survive here in the middle of nowhere. Luck of the draw and my luck IIRC was my first character spawned on a forest planet with acid rain and I think a sub-biome had meteor showers(or was that another play through?). You had to eat, maintain temperature, and started with a MM(not up-gradable), a flashlight, 10 torches, and some seeds(no edible food), and a terrible starter sword.

I got good with the hunting bow and good at moving, but before that died many times. I was initially frustrated, but that became all the sweeter once I could keep myself alive finally. It had a great feel.