1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Save files are encrypted now :c

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reciful, May 29, 2013.

1. Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

Looks like I actually have to play the game to see those new items...

Also the new stage two looks freaking amazing. My only concern is that it's too easy compared to the current one.

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Oh great. What about all of that progress I had already made? What use is it now? Encrypted save files help nobody, and hurt everybody. Why use encrypted save files? Why? And how are we to import our old saves from the last build? I already unlocked most of everything, I don't need to do it again. It was fun the first time, but now it's just work that's being forced upon us. Well, I guess I should try and figure out how to decrypt the save files now.
      You weren't doing that before?

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

I got too lazy to look for the T3 items (namely Happiest Mask and Old Box) and decided to edit them in just to see what they did. And I have to study for finals, not play Risk of Rain. But it's really tempting to go and look for the items.

There's a new .dll file called "ultracrypt.dll". Maybe deleting it will change things.

I feel like the rationale behind encrypting save files is simply so people don't do what I was doing and actually play the game the way it was supposed to be played. However, I would like an official version of a currently encrypted save file with all the old items unlocked. It's not really like the achievements are challenging, though.

• Treadlight

You have had more time to play the game than I have. People who want to edit the files will decrypt encrypted files to access what they need to, it's not stopping anybody. Also, I'm almost certain that deleting that DLL will result in the game becoming unable to save anything.

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

I just tried it, it throws an error upon opening the game but the save file isn't encrypted any more. It also saves properly. Huzzah.

Edit: Presumably it'll allow me to load an old save file, too.

• Treadlight

Okay, I tried doing a single thing in the game to see how the encryption was like, and got this:
              [​IMG]
              I'm showing an image, because when I copy it to here, I get this:
              );o<ddi SPNEc~a
              Don't worry, copying that to your save.ini file still results in the proper gibberish.
              This will unlock the Sprouting Egg. I'm now going to go look up what the heck this DLL is:
              SPNEc~a
              EDIT: Well, dang. They don't say what the encryption method is on the DLL's thread. I might as well just find out what each line to unlock each thing is.
              Also, this proves that they can use unicode characters. I will keep this in mind when posting in the Spelling and Grammar thread.
              EDIT 2: Okay, it's not line based anymore, it now separates each statement with one of these:
              ''
              It doesn't appear here, but it's there. Copy those quotes to your clipboard and past them in notepad, and remove the quotes. That is the symbol that separates statements. This means that there are two statements in what I have posted previously. Here is the statement that will unlock the Lemurian's LOG:
              B\Xcc~n

• hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

Hahaha! Next time I'll just throw in an already completed save file that you can just edit the name of (Save_unlocked.ini), but for now, tell me if this works. http://www.mediafire.com/download/qxno4bu5rtm9row/Save.ini

• Treadlight

There are decrypting functions that come with that DLL, I hope it's compatible with 8.0, as this may be my only hope. (My little brother owns the full version of Game Maker 8.0)
                  Thank you, although I'll still restart from scratch. I'd prefer to start with the specific items I had before, rather than with everything.

• Reciful

Reciful Orbital Explorer

• Engio

Engio Space Penguin Leader

Thank you hopoo

• Treadlight

I would like to mention, despite my arrogant sounding words on the matter, I do believe that encryption of save files is a good thing for a public release.

• Firenze

Firenze Aquatic Astronaut

Sorry to be "THAT GUY" but you realise this is a beta yeah?

Save file losses are a normal thing. This stops a big pile of cheating monkies from unlocking stuff by just editing a save...

Alvin Flummox likes this.
                        • Orionthefree

Orionthefree Lucky Number 13

Personally I don't mind unlocking everything again, As Firenze mentioned it is a Beta. I feel that having to start over again garners a little perspective to how things look from a clean slate, from the vantage of a new player opening the game for the first time. I mean, obviously we have the time put in and the skill gained playing previous iterations of the Beta but still, I feel it is part of the playtesting experience.

Firenze likes this.
                          • Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

I was in the Darkspore beta, a game where you can find items and level up as a player and customise characters; having to start again from scratch there induced a bit of sadness, but it's not actually that bad. This game is very replayable and doesn't necessarily give you the same experience each time you play - it doesn't really matter that you need to unlock certain items again, because it only takes one or two runs to do so.