1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Satellites Pack (Discontinued!) 9/18/17

Adds space station dungeons into the game, as well as spots for players to build their own!

1. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Shadow Wolf TJC submitted a new mod:

Player-Built Space Stations - Want space colonies? Well, at least you can build your own now!

Read more about this mod...

2. Shadow Wolf TJC

3. kenanthebarbarian

kenanthebarbarian Phantasmal Quasar

Ugh, just started a new character and got an awesome starting system, and now you drop this gem? Are you suuuure it requires deletion of the universe contents, or could the spaces maybe spawn once you travel out of existing universe systems, like with the Mysterious Stars mod?

4. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

I get the feeling this probably does work like Mysterious Stars. I doubt you'd need to completely delete your universe for it to work.

Very cool mod though, in fact I had the idea to do the same thing, I guess I was beaten to it! :p

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  5. Xavius

Xavius Cosmic Narwhal

As an idea, you could make some floating pre-built Space Stations that can randomly spawn.

As well, some form of icon (even if it's just a pixel art of a Space-Station icon similar to your Mod Icon) would be nice, just to make them easier to find in planetary clusters.

6. Shadow Wolf TJC

You may be disappointed even more once orbiting dungeon mods start to appear. I've already asked the community if they'd be interested in designing some.
    Already planning something similar as an add-on mod. ;) (Making dungeons is hard work though, so be patient please.)

7. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

I know CF intends to implement some sort of player built space stations and I'm excited to see what they intend to do with it and how they want to go about it. I think it will be part of the building player progression path. You make it so there are areas where we don't need to clear a ton of tiles and it's got the proper spacey background, which is awesome and all but for now I'll just wait for CF to bring this feature.

8. Xavius

Xavius Cosmic Narwhal

Well, I look forward to that. As well, I hope that, at some point, they add in the ability to land on Gas Giants, with giant floating rocks (like an asteroid field) with Bespin-style cities in the clouds, as well as permanent strong winds you have to shield yourself from or risk getting blown around when you jump.

9. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

I have some ideas regarding this. It could be set up similarly to this mod, only, you'd beam down onto 2 blocks in the upper atmosphere, so it'd have the space background. Threats: Radiation, no breathable atmosphere. As you went lower you'd enter the atmosphere and a modified version of the sandstorm weathertype would be used to create strong vortex winds. These would kill you in seconds, so you'd need to build a structure to protect yourself.

Once you got low enough, you may find liquid helium and hydrogen, and harvest it for some kind of use. It'd freeze you to death if you touched it though.

I should think as well, that once you entered the atmosphere there'd be a unique G-Force threat that would hurt & eventually kill you regardless of any kind of structure you built. It would serve the purpose of making the lower parts of the atmosphere inaccessible. In order to harvest the gasses in the lower atmosphere (helium and hydrogen), you would need to go into the threat zone and take damage, making it difficult work but rewarding.

Anyways, this is offtopic. I'm gonna test this mod with a pre-existing universe later, and see if it can be used without universe deletion.

10. Xavius

Xavius Cosmic Narwhal

I was thinking higher up is lots of clouds int he background, perhaps even Cloud blocks to hold you up intermixed with something like the Meteor Rock blocks (after all, you can be a touch pseudo-sciencey with Starbound) so that you can move around if your're careful (and perhaps get mods or tech for jetpacks and the like) with the wind getting harsher the higher you go, and the total 'map' being waaaaay taller than normal. The reason for being way taller would be so there could be six distinct layers to each Gas Giant, which would each have increasing gravity and slightly different terrain generation. The last layer before the 'Core' (which would be liquid He-3, similar to the infinite lava cores of normal planets) is a combination of Liquid He-3 and Compressed Helium blocks. The Liquid is usable as a super-fuel (something like 30 fuel per unit of the stuff) while the Compressed blocks are shiny, rough blocks that can be either smelted into Refined Helium Blocks (similar look to Mirror Blocks) or put through a Refinery to turn into Liquid He-3.

The Liquid He-3 would cause a 'Cold Damage' debuff identical to the ones from Cold Planets, and can be found as an 'ore' which dispenses the liquid instead of ore items when the block it's in breaks when you find it higher than the bottom-most layer.
    Instead of Radiation, the top two layers are icey-cold like an Ice Planet, while the lowest two are fiery hot.

Ahem, right, sorry. Anyways, just ideas as I had them. It would be an interesting addition to this mod, so you can have Space Stations and Refinery Stations set up in open space and Gas Giants respectively.

11. fyreman666

fyreman666 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While I enjoy reading people discussing ideas, I just want to say that this is a mod I like the idea of. It's less of a hassle than a build-your-own-ship mod, which I would be crap with, and it adds more reasons to explore. True, I don't play on servers or multiplayer (I'm fairly anti-social) but it's still an awesome idea. And I love the thought of pre-built stations and dungeons.

12. Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Heh, yeah. Especially with the teleporters system that they've shown us pictures of in (at least) one of their blog posts.

Question...does this have an 'airlock' sort of system like the build your own ship mod does, though? As in, it starts out that you need the ability to breathe in "no atmosphere" conditions...but you can install air systems, like in the build your own ship mod, that generates air for the nearby area, so long as it's closed off properly.

This is a lot like that mod in that it has near limitless possibilities. :D

13. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

Does this work online? Couldn't find if anyone else asked and I didn't see it on the mod's info pane.

14. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

I imagine not, though this could certainly be possible.

I'm planning on making a mod with placeable hazard neutralization systems. Stuff like air conditioning units for hot planets, heating systems for cold planets, air recycling units for planets with no/breathable atmosphere, radiation deflectors, etc.

No, not unless both the server & client(s) have the mod.

Shadow Wolf TJC likes this.
  15. Xavius

Xavius Cosmic Narwhal

Ooh, for the Hazard Neutralization mod (when you get to it) keep in mind there's pre-existing vents and heaters. The small vents would make for excellent small detail air-producers that don't clash with anything else too much.

16. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

BTW, I confirlmed you indeed don't need to delete your universe for this to work. You only need to generate a new portion of your universe and the empty space dungeon should spawn. It's quite similar to how Mysterious Stars works with existing universes.

Lies! I messed up, sorry. :p It should however be noted that you can preserve specific planets from an existing universe when regenerating a new one.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. Shadow Wolf TJC

Sadly, to my knowledge, and as of now, weather effects and biome hazards don't change when you change to different layers of a planet. Case in point, I've seen it rain in the space above planets, and no matter how far underground I go, I could never escape from a planet's biome effects (which are only tied to a specific biome).

I've also tried adding a radiation biome effect to the generated "empty space" dungeons, but sadly, no luck. I could only get them to have no air.

Anyways, I think you should worry more about high pressure instead of high gravity, since Gas Giants are pretty big, and the "surface" of Venus has an atmospheric pressure that's 92 times that of Earth's, so it could be as bad as being submerged on the ocean floor, if not worse. With that in mind, I would've loved to create a high pressure biome status effect were it not for the aforementioned limitations. Also, extreme winds would only a problem if you tried to resist them. Who's to say that all those floating platforms aren't just drifting with the air currents of these planets? ;)

Finally, what, in the current game, could you possibly harvest from cloud planets that's useful in any way? Personally, I have an idea, where it rains valuable materials, such as Liquid Erchius, which could possibly be collected in specially-designed artificial floating platforms.

18. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

I thought of the pressure hazards, but if I were to make a mod with landable Gas Giants, I wouldn't want to add new hazards if I didn't have to. G-Force &/or pressure hazards would be added only to make it more difficult to harvest stuff on the giants, there'd be no way to protect yourself.

Also, that's odd that threats can't be applied per-layer. In Enraged Koala, I had once made a mod so that the "asteroids" biome at the top layer of planets had no breathable atmosphere. Similarly, you could go to a moon planet, dig under the surface, and find air. Perhaps the threats could be applied via weather, I'm sure there's a way to do it.

19. Shadow Wolf TJC

Unfortunately, weather patterns seem to be static throughout entire planets as well as biome effects.

20. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

That's really unfortunate. Enraged Koala had a lot more flexibility in that regard.

TheSilentObserver likes this.