Sandbox Mode and/or "Skip to FTL"

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Knight9910, Jul 23, 2016.

1. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

I am a C++ programmer who focused entirely on Game Design. I don't need you to give me the break down. Step 1 is potentially a time hog of a day or more. Step 2 is like 30 minutes at most (I hope) for Starbound. You assume their code base is a certain way, when in fact it could be quite different from what you imagine; unless you were hoping I was ignorant to the fact there are countless ways to design and code piece of software/game.

Assuming there are flags with public accessibility currently programmed into the game, this could very well take no time at all. If that is the case, great.. they should do this when they've got a few spare minutes in their next sprint. If not however, this could take well over an hour to complete. Rough guess I'd say 2 days, with 10 work hours of leeway on either side. I got my fingers crossed though that they do have flags, and not an event system which needs several modifications to allow this to take place without throwing a bunch of mission completed garbage on screen while doing it.

I am sorry, you feel I am being, or have been, rude to you. To be honest the only reason I even made my last post was because you were rude to me. The question has in fact not been answered in any sense of the word. Responded to, perhaps, but a response does not equate to an answer. At the same time at no point have I implied your idea is stupid or useless. It has purpose, and that is all an idea needs to be *not* stupid.

You see, when I asked my "snarky one liner" I was being serious, I expected an answer not dismissal. I was trying to be polite in that I wasn't: making a needlessly long post; dismissing the suggestion; implying it was useless. I was showing my position, and trying to understand why you feel it an important suggestion. I came here, to this thread, because I want to see a sandbox mode. Not to dismiss your suggestion. You appeared to have a problem which could be solved however, which seemed to be the basis for your suggestion. Given your basis already has a solution, which using basic reasoning skills would thus make it an invalid basis.. I asked a question.. whereas Lazarus provided a solution. (not to speak for any of his posts after the first one of course)

Now then, one last note - You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I also don't think rebuttal is the right word for the situation, the synonym denial would fit better. Since the question was not "already answered" unless I keep on dead reading the post that has the answer.

With all that nastiness out of the way. Like I said I came here for a sandbox mode. I think the OP could do with an improvement in the form of minecraft-esque inventory/crafting menu where you can access all of the game's items from the basic menus. No need for stations. While it is nice having the admin mode to remove costs and expose a lot of the items not yet learned.. it doesn't feel like it is enough. Too often I've had to search back and forth between stations. Obviously the pixel printer memory leak should be handled before making new features which could very likely use similar code if not reuse the code of the pixel printer which already stores SOOO many items. Having 1 block provide an infinite resource to build with would also be quite nice. The last thing, which I already mentioned, is skipping to the end game. Flag all the missions as completed so that you can replay any of them from the ship's SAIL.

In case you're curious, I still don't want to see this in the game just yet. I would appreciate other things a great deal more. Namely saloons, which I guess are in the Nightly according to someone.. and also wiring improvements like different coloured wires or multiple wire layers.. and logic gate placement directions. A sandbox mode would be a close runner up though. It should only be accessible via admin mode though, imho. That would keep things simple for dealing with multiplayer.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

How does adding alternate method of cheating improve upon just using commands? Sounds to me it's purely so you can justify it to yourself, nothing more.

You may think I am attempting to troll, but I assure you I am not. I just don't need to use a paragraph to get my points across.

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Things are getting a bit heated here, I see. Regardless of who started it, I'm finishing it. Please keep things civil from now on.

4. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

Yes, it is true that there are some issues that are so important that you can't just accept that people disagree with you.

This isn't one of them.

Now, you've made your arguments, I've listened to them and I've given you my responses. I disagree with you. The proper response from you now is to move on, not push harder.

5. Jonesy

I do hope you realize that 'be civil' applies to you as well.

6. Knight9910

Can you point out where I wasn't civil?

7. Jonesy

Your overall tone is very dismissive, and you're essentially telling people to leave if they don't agree with you.

Now, this is off-topic. This thread's seen enough arguing for arguing's sake.

8. Knight9910

I'm perfectly willing to accept that people have different opinions from me. When this point of theirs was first raised, I answered it. I listened to their arguments and I gave them my own. Both sides have had their full point heard. It's over now. So, you see, I'm not trying to stifle debate, it's jut that the debate is already over. It's ended. It's finished. It's done.

Now what I'm trying to do is to have a discussion of the suggestion that I made. What they want to do is to derail that discussion because they can not accept that someone doesn't agree with them. Lazarus in particular has been harassing me for the better part of a month now and has made it clear that he will never stop derailing the thread until I agree with him that the thread is pointless and that we should all just use cheat codes.

That's the reason why I asked you to come here. The problem isn't that they're not being nice, it's that they're still here harassing me and trying to derail the thread. Asking them to be nicer in their harassment doesn't change that. I mean, it would be like if I told you somebody was trying to stab me, and your solution to that was to take their knife and give them a baseball bat instead. What I need you to do is to make them stop hassling me over a debate that was already finished and put to bed forever last month.

9. Jonesy

And if people continue harassing you after you've repeatedly asked them to stop doing something, I'll deal with them. That kind of thing happens. But you need to understand that it doesn't give your permission to be rude back to them.

As I've already said, this is off-topic. Kindly stay on-topic, and stop telling me how to do my job.

10. Jaxatron3456

Jaxatron3456 Space Hobo

I like the idea of this, I think that cheats are too hard as well. For awhile I've used them, but after I saw this, it really sums up everything I ever wanted. Good on you!

P.S. Thank GOD for forum moderators...

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  11. Scavor2

Scavor2 Intergalactic Tourist

everyone went away lol