Running a server on raspberry pi?

Discussion in 'Other' started by kerbingamer376, Jul 24, 2016.

1. kerbingamer376

kerbingamer376 Aquatic Astronaut

Hi,
    would it be possible to port starbound's server to the raspberry pi? The hardware is capable, but it runs of an ARM core, so the standard binaries don't work. Any help?

nomad ninga and kitramos like this.
  2. clockmister

clockmister Void-Bound Voyager

Jesus just get a better Pc and or computer not a raspberry Pi there horrible and I don't think that's possible to fix.

3. kerbingamer376

If it's capable of a small-scale minecraft server,a web server a telegram bot server, and basically any other server, why not starbound? With the new pi 3 being even faster, you could run a small-scale starbound server, no problem.
    As for the binary compatibility, I mentioned it in my OP, asking for a raspberry pi version.

Mod edit: removed deleted quote

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
  4. Dunto

Dunto Guest

If you're just trying to suggest a port, I'll move this thread to Suggestions.

5. kerbingamer376

Uhh, raspberry pi are no longer the 500mhz things they used to be. The raspberry pi is a full computer, with processing power to match.

6. clockmister

What I mean is the Pc is Just programmed differently meaning You might as well just get a Fully windows system not a kind of rubbish raspberry Pi system.

7. kerbingamer376

You have obviously never seen linux. You can have linux on a raspberry pi, and it is way better than windows anyway (faster, no viruses, customisation), and has starbound builds for x86, so porting the server to pi could be as easy as using a different gcc on the source code.

8. clockmister

Wait so your whole conversation of can I get it working is useless because of Linux xD

9. kerbingamer376

No. The server already runs on linux. So does the game, unless you are too stupid to see. It'd just have to be recompiled for the ARM core the pi uses. I would do it, but I have no source access.

10. kitramos

kitramos Big Damn Hero

Hey I don't know what the process is but I'd like to +1 this suggestion, I also think it would be handy to be able to run a starbound server on a Pi.

11. nomad ninga

nomad ninga Star Wrangler

linux is far better then windows the problem is that nothing is made for it so every thing lags

12. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Saying "Linux is" is silly. Linux has countless variants. So you you can't really say Linux is better/worse than anything. You can compare builds and say "build X" is better/worse than "windows 10" as far as certain aspects go.

The notion that Linux doesn't get viruses is also silly. The market share is lower where desktops are concerned. But Linux conquered the smartphone war... and Android gets the most infections. Many of them are from people side-loading pirate apps yes. But then with any system the user is the weakest security link. I haven't gotten a single virus on my current W7 machine since I built it years ago(well I did run Linux Mint for a while too).

And of course Linux has had several high-profile and rather severe vulnerabilities found in recent years. In many cases the affected devices will never be patched. This isn't a small issue.

Now despite all I'm saying, I do think about going back to Linux Mint/Cinnamon now and then. That's a pretty smooth OS.

And as for the PI's, I assume you aren't speaking of the original, so maybe. Heck the PIs can run W10(for free) if you really wanted. I know Starbound has Linux ports, but not compiled for ARM. I don't know if anyone has any software that attempts X86 emulation on ARM? Perhaps have you tried a VM etc?

Really though if you have enough CPU cores, I'm not sure I see the advantage of this anyhow. You can play on your own local server. Someone mentioned they actually get better FPS that way anyhow.

13. Spodi

Spodi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is a paid emulation software named exagear. It emulates a Debian x86 environment on a raspberry. Teamspeak works great with it, but I never tested to run a starbound server. I doubt there are enough resources left to run starbound in an emulator. Maybe I will test it someday :-D

But it could work decently if there are binaries to run it natively with ARM.