1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED RPG Growth 1.92

Adds RPG-like growth (stat points and classes) to Starbound

1. ThornyFlora

ThornyFlora Pangalactic Porcupine

I'll double check, but I'm really not certain how this could be happening. Here, take a look at the code:

I believe that this bug is occurring for you, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't make any logical sense for it to be happening the way you describe it.

2. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for showing me the code! It didn't occur to me before, but I compared the code for the file "monsters\ivrpgmonster.lua" in the current version (8.3) with the same in the old version (8.2) (yes, I save old versions), and found something in the Affinity Check part:

I'm a bit rusty about my coding, but I think the first If statement is missing something? Like, without a == something, it'll automatically return true? Which would mean that regardless of whether I'd picked an affinity or not, I'd get the outcome of one as it applies to attacking monsters.

Looking back at how it played out in the game, the effect looked very much like the Overload effect from the, what's it called, Arc Affinity? Chained spreading electric damage, and a slowing (as shown by a yellow outline). Don't know why I didn't see any other Affinity damage effects, though, but there's only so much I can figure out from raw undocumented code at a glance. ;)

Anyway, I then tried a little dirty coding and replaced the 8.3's Affinity Check section with that of the 8.2, no other editing. Then put the mod in a clean sandbox installation of SB, no other mods, fresh start character, and ran it. No Overload effect. Put in the untampered copy of 8.3, tested, Overload.

So there you have it. For some reason, the Affinity Check part of the code is the culprit here. I honestly don't know why this thing only happens to me - I'm assuming that you've playtested to see if you can reproduce the error - but using the code from 8.2 does fix the issue. Oh yeah, needs to be corrected for npcs too.

With my luck, pasting in the old code will probably cause some other complication further down the line, but eh.

Anyway, hope this helps.

3. ThornyFlora

Ok, that does solve the confusion. It will be fixed next patch :) . I was under the impression that Lua returned false when a value was either 'false', 'nil', or '0', but if that isn't the case, I'll have to make some dirty edits. Thank you for finding this issue and looking through the code (made my life easier).

4. Mooncalf99

Glad to be of help! Plus I needed to brush up on my coding, so thanks for the practice. :)

5. ThornyFlora

ThornyFlora updated RPG Growth with a new update entry:

Patch 1.33 - Fixed Affinity Bug

Read the rest of this update entry...

6. ThornyFlora

As you can see, I pushed an update that should fix the error. Please confirm once you have the chance!

7. Mooncalf99

Confirmed to be working fine now!

8. ThornyFlora

9. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

I really love this mod as it adds something to invest my gameplay time in other than mine/kill/repeat. Some feedback in case it hasn't already been said - the slime monsters you fight on the moon base mission with the Erchius horror drop way too much experience in my opinion. I leveled up when I first got there then got past halfway just killing the slime people. I got something like 250 experience from one group by killing them with a rocket. Seemed a tad much.

10. Constantinople

Constantinople Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is this mod be comparable with Frackin Universe? Are there any other known mods that conflict with it?

Thanks

11. Mooncalf99

It's compatible, if that's what you're asking. It doesn't conflict with anything in my load order, and I have a pretty big one.

12. Constantinople

Constantinople Scruffy Nerf-Herder

13. Volkey

Volkey Space Spelunker

I its me Volkey again. I decided to try and play this again. I followed the instructions on this video to unpack your .pak file for the mod. I did that and put it in my mods folder and still no luck. I will keep trying though. Also, if you have a better way we can communicate like Skype or Steam, that will be appreciated. Thanks!

14. ThornyFlora

You can join our Discord server and talk to me directly via it. Otherwise, you can just friend me on Steam if you'd like.

15. Volkey

Volkey Space Spelunker

I never really got into Discord so Id prefer Steam.

16. ThornyFlora

Please find me on Steam then. My profile is 'Chaika? Yes. Chaika.', and you can also find me by looking for RPG Growth on the workshop.

17. Volkey

Volkey Space Spelunker

Sorry I did not reply sooner. I added you on steam. My nick is just Volkey.

Thanks

18. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

I've looked through the google doc, but I can't really settle on a class that suits my preferred melee weapon, the spear, well.

The Ninja would be a perfect class for me, if staves included spears. Though besides shurikens I'd also love to make better use of the bow, if only for the many useful drops that gives. If shurikens acted as hunting weapons, that'd be perfect. Though balance wise, maybe it makes more sense to give this boon to the explorer, where all weapons explorers use give the drops as if it's a hunting weapon?

19. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

I'm really excited for the next update for this. I used to get bored easily playing Starbound but whenever I start burning out, I find myself wanting to just go out and kill stuff for experience.

20. An Interesting Plant

An Interesting Plant Void-Bound Voyager

Woah hey hi. Where do I find Living Meteors/Living Meteorites for the Knight quest chain?