[RP] The Darastrix Clan - Yth Lleisgar Tenamalo!

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by Bughunter, Jun 30, 2015.

1. LeeJohn

LeeJohn Phantasmal Quasar

The trait system doesn't necessarily have to take this form, though it does seem to be the most efficient solution.
    One problem it brings along, however, is that it takes away certain liberties, typical for RPs - something worth considering.

Alternatively, when it comes to the "sliders" version, I would make it so that there are categories, with trait sets of minimum 2 and up to 6, e.g. like so:

[​IMG]
    And that lets a character be balanced between two kinds of traits, with a catch - if you go for two at once, you get a smaller bonus for both of them, whereas if you go for just one, the bonus is bigger, but just for that trait. You can also go for two of them at once but with a stronger emphasis on just one, or leave it at the middle - again, jack of all trades, master of none.

So then again, in here an assassin or a thief would go for 100% sneaky or 75% sneaky + 25% swift.
    Melee fighter would rather go for sure-footed, maybe with a bit of swift.

[​IMG]

And so on.

However, come to think of it, that is just graphically representing character descriptions... With that little advantage that it prevents creating OP characters by default.

EDIT: Yay! Second page begins! :DD

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    Bughunter likes this.
  2. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

Personally, I think that if we do use sliders for character stats, magical affinity should be a separate chart from the rest of combat. "Weapons" is extremely broad, unarmed combat isn't mentioned, and the magic system is complex (and unique) enough to warrant its own sliders.

I propose that separate "combat affinity" and "magical affinity" sliders are made. Combat affinity could slide between one-handed weapons (shields would fall under this category, although blocking in general could just use the "sure-footed" stat), two-handed weapons, bows, firearms, magic and unarmed combat. In addition, he number of points invested into magic could directly correspond to the number of points available in the magical affinity slider. People who only practice magic off-hand would only know magic of an element or two, while magicians could then choose between elemental mastery or a more balanced set. And as a tiny bonus to convenience, people who don't practice magic at all won't even have to bother with the sliders.

Bughunter likes this.
  3. LeeJohn

These were just examples, but you're right.

One more thing I'd ad is a flat slider, balancing between magical and non-magical warfare, and then two subsliders: Pentagonal for Elemental magic, and Triangular for: Hand to hand, armed melee and armed ranged warfare.

How about it?

Bughunter likes this.
  4. The Demon of Borders

Yeah, that could work. I do kind of think that firearms would warrant their own category (being a recent emergence in the setting) but the dexterity needed for bow skills would at least partially transfer over.

If I understand the flat slider system correctly (invest points as you like in magic and non-magic, then distribute the respective points in their corresponding sub-sliders), then I'm all for it.

LeeJohn likes this.
  5. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

Sorry that I can't contribute much, I don't use the PC on mondays, tuesdays, and every other friday, saturday. and sunday.

6. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

The thing is I don't want RPer's to feel limited by anything. The old RP was mostly conversation, movement, and small amounts of conflict that were mostly based on group decision, but I wouldn't mind outcomes being semi-random.

7. The Demon of Borders

Hm. It's a tough choice, but it is a choice. We could just put faith in people and "judge" their characters the old-fashioned way, skipping any forms or sheets. I'd be entirely for something like the old roleplay, since I've been craving that kind of creative freedom for a while. But if this roleplay ends up getting bigger, then I'd more strongly consider proper formats and sheets. While it is restrictive, it'll help keep people in line and hopefully stop things from getting too crazy.

Simply put, we can survive without any hard limits, but that'll be tougher to keep up the more people sign up.

8. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

We could go without any restrictions until we hit a certain point. Though it might be hard for the people who have been rping to put those restrictions in.

9. LeeJohn

At this point we should leave it up to the participant whether they want to apply these restrictions now, or later. Also, I'd strongly recommend using the first system I described, due to it's simplicity and flexibility. We just have to design the perks first.

Bughunter likes this.
  10. AlakazamCat

AlakazamCat Void-Bound Voyager

What do you want yourself to be called by? I would like to be called Ala or you can call me Alakazam
    Do you like Dragons? Hell ya! Who doesn't?
    Do you accept the rules? Yes I accept the rules
    Why do you want to join? I want to join because Dragons are my favorite mythical creature and I also like RPs

11. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

I accept thee into the c̶u̶l̶t̶ group of dragons! Enjoy and create your dragon. That makes 4 members, so 3 more and we can start.

12. AlakazamCat

AlakazamCat Void-Bound Voyager

Alrighty! Time to share my dragon info. :lickitung:

Name: Ultro Bilaes-Trekis

Type: Pyroclastic Dragon (a cone of super heated ash accompanied by waves of crushing sonic force)

Descriptions: A serious Pyroclastic Dragon, that likes to help other people when they are in need. He makes friends easily with strangers and he also loves to have company around him. Sometimes he can be a bit annoying, but helpful.

Backstory: Born and raised on the plane Gehenna, it was an hard life for Ultro. His parents would do all the hunting to ensure that he would stay safe. Then one day his parents were going out to get food for young Ultro, then they never came back. Ultro soon discovered his parents had died from a battle against other dragons. From that day on Ultro became the best he could be by using his father as a role model. Ultro once said,"Never rely on someone else to do your own work especially your parents."

13. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

What other information do you guys need? I don't mind starting with fewer than 7, especially since it will attract more people with stuff going on.

14. LeeJohn

I had an idea to populate the world using colorful noise generation... If I could have your permission to download the map, I'd make an attempt and then a color key, which will determine the village's allegiance. How about it?

15. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

Uh. What.
    Are we doing this again? Last time we held an RP we were called the worst role players by Omni. And after that we were also forced to use the conversations system for RP. You sure we can do better this time, guys?

Arch-Mage Zandor likes this.
  16. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

I wasn't in the weird rp that we did a while back. I mean the original stuff.

17. The Demon of Borders

I'm pretty sure that was the original one. We got kicked from the roleplaying section for having too poor of a post-to-wordcount ratio.

Alucard I and Arch-Mage Zandor like this.
  18. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

Not only that, but some of the posts were clear unabated shitposting

19. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

I thought the space one was the one in the convo.

20. The Demon of Borders

Yeah, I remember that one, but I do still recall the Darastrix RP being a conversation. Hell, I can read through it right now.

Either way, it's not a big deal.

Bughunter likes this.