1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Risk Of Rain: The Second Storm (Fan Made Rewrite of the original)

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by RiokuTheSlayer, May 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer Phantasmal Quasar

So, recently I played Risk Of Rain. I thought, "Man, this is really laggy. It's made on Game Maker, so even for what it is, it's rather good.

So, I thought, with my limited knowledge in the scripting world, why not rewrite it in Unity and try it here instead? With quite a bit of optimization, it'll probably run better than it does normally. Of course, this is asking a lot, since it has thousands of things on-screen sometimes. But I'm gonna try.

EDIT1: I've been talking about this elsewhere(Youtube, and just to my friends and such in general.), and people seem to really like this idea. This forum may not be very fast, but hey, It's a good thing I'm patient. We've made a lot more progress than I thought we would have by now, which is great! I'll probably post something on the Steam forums as well about this. Maybe. But anywho. That's a quick update.

So, Progress Tracker:
    Gameplay, 3%
    Enemies, 30% (AI is nearly done for almost all enemies, since most of them will share the same AI)
    Items, 3%
    Objects, 1%
    Original Content, 1%
    New Content, 1%

TODO list:
    --Add Items, and other objects
    --Add the Random Stage gen
    --Add the Stages Themselves
    --Optimize it to be the same/better than the original performance wise

So yeah, there's obviously not much at all right now. But I'm working on it.

THE TEAM:
    Me, RiokuTheSlayer- Main Dev(AI, Math, interaction with objects)/Loreist/Misc
    CowCatcher- Main Dev(Characters at the moment)/Animations/Misc

Thanks for the support! ^_^

UPDATES:

Super Beta Build:
    The first two items have been added, and a sprite for a brand new item.(Spoilers, no peeky peeky. Wait until you play for yourself to see it :p)
    Goat Hoof and Soldier's Syringe.
    Chests are animated and open when the player presses the use button. No item spawns yet, I'm working on weights.
    Enemy AI tweaks, finished jumping for them mostly.

Made another brand new item, also a secret.
    Merged the two seperate projects, breaking a lot of things. (Walking, Backgrounds, the HUD, a few more things.) Still playable, but there's no jumping.
    Found a way to remake the levels of the game, so I'm getting to work on that pretty soon. For now, there's just a test level.
    Chests now only open when the character is standing right over them. Still no item spawns, working on that.
    Few tweaks to physics, of course.

Official Beta Build - NOTHING HERE:
    Putting this here for when we get to this stage, which is actually coming a lot faster than I though.

Risk Of Rain: Second Storm(With Original Content Only) - NOTHING HERE:

Same as above. By this stage, if Hopoo hasn't noticed the project, they'll start to.

Risk Of Rain: Second Storm(With All New Content And Original) - NOTHING HERE:

Yet again, same as above.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
      cowcatcherer and Dolphinflavored like this.
    • Boro

Boro Void-Bound Voyager

Isn't this illegal?

• Burby

Burby Phantasmal Quasar

I was questioning the legality about this as well. However if you manage to pull this off properly I think it's worth sending a message to Hopoo and Pastuleio to discuss this. If it actually makes for a better engine with possibly more options, I do believe that they could be up for making this happen.

• RiokuTheSlayer

I'm not planning on making anything monetary off of it, And it's staying closed until I do get permission anyway. It's not going well at the moment, I'm no good at scripting movements myself, Things like AI and general game behaviors are my thing, not how the AI gets executed and such. I'm still working on it, it's just not going very fast.

• cowcatcherer

cowcatcherer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been mucking around in Unity for some time and if you want i could try to re-create the characters sprites and animations (optimally extract the files but that might not be possible with my limited skill level) and possibly re-create some of the enemies.

• RiokuTheSlayer

Thanks, but sprites, animations, ect, aren't really a problem. I can get those no problem. A lot of my problems, as I said, are that I'm no good at putting the structure of a game together, just adding stuff onto it. So if I could find someone to write all the basic things like character/creature movement then I could do the rest. I find smooth movements hard to do in Unity. I keep running into problems.

• cowcatcherer

if you make a homing ai for the missiles i could make the engi. do you already have the commandos animations and movement or should i make him too?

• RiokuTheSlayer

I stopped working on it for a while, I plan to completely restart it. PM me if you want to start working on it again. I can do all animations, visual effects, AI, Collisions, I just need help with scripting in basic things like gravity, movement, things like that. Im actually better at complex stuff than basic stuff.

• gamerzap

gamerzap Orbital Explorer

Unity is really only one step up from GameMaker. You'd be better off making it with an API than an engine if you want to incoporate everything from Risk of Rain as well as possible.

• RiokuTheSlayer

Well, we'ere just completely remaking the game. Writing it in C#, being based off of Unity, will actually make it a lot easier to do things like modding and such. I just want to see what we can do.

• gamerzap

It would definitely be easier in Unity, but if your goal is to make it much less laggy and buggy than you should try an API instead of an engine. Engine's are made for too general purposes to be as optimizable as regular code. You can still probably get it going pretty fast with Unity, and depending on what your goal is that might be a better idea (if, for example, you were trying to do it quickly and easily or you are trying to learn more about Unity), but if your goal is to make it as optimized as possible and get as few bugs as possible you shouldn't use Unity.

• RiokuTheSlayer

I'm kinda doing both. I just want to see how it goes, really. It'll help me understand things like C# and stuff, but I wanted to do something that may actually be useful.Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind.

• cowcatcherer

i can double that, this project is a huge learning experience for me and also i kind of want to make it moddable if possible (and if given permission).

• RiokuTheSlayer

Edit by Finn Learson: Merged your triple post!

I say we make a presentable version, send it to them, and see what they say.

EDIT: Added a few things, mainly the Team section. Also, AI Is almost done. I'm planning on making one script that all enemies can use, in tiers. Tier 1 for Lemurians, Claymen, ect. Tier 2 for Sand Crabs, Golems, and such. I can tweak the scripts for special enemies like Bosses and such, but the basic structure (Movement, Ai to actually go towards the player, and basic attacking) is done. Next is working on the interactable structures of the game like Chests and Shrines, then Items.

Also! Unity can handle about 1K objects on-screen before it starts lagging. I'm not planning on having over 500. There's gonna be a setting in-game that makes money able to store an infinite amount of value per sprite, so I'm going to make it evenly split between 5-10 gold per enemy if that's turned on. Otherwise, enemies will drop a few different tiers, which will each scale accordingly. (I.E. if there's an enemy that's gonna drop 145 gold, It'll drop one 100 gold, 4 10's, and 5 1's.) I'll make a few tweaks, just so you can still have Money Streams. EXP is gonna be able to store infinite value per one effect as well, but I'm not gonna make that toggleable I don't think

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
                              • JUKE454

JUKE454 Space Spelunker

It is cloning a video game. Which he does not have the authority to do. (as far as my knowledge goes) I don't know what he is thinking, because all he is going to get with this is a big law suit or fine. I'm there are many loopholes around it, but he is copying the exact files and moving them to a new engine. so i'm sure this will get shut down fast. - Good luck anyways

I was thinking about sending an email to tell them to add a modding kit/steam workshop on there summer break, but I don't want to be a pest. :D

• gamerzap

It's illegal if he distributes it, but making it for himself is fine.

• cowcatcherer

actually this isnt public, were actually working on a demo proof of concept to send to the devs to see if they will give us the green light.

• RiokuTheSlayer

What he said :rofl: This isn't going to be public for a long time. As he said, we're basically gonna make a proof of concept and send it to the devs. If they say they don't want us to do it, we'll stop. If they say we can continue, we'll continue. If they don't reply, we'll continue and keep sending them better and better versions until they do.

• RiokuTheSlayer

Update!

The first two items have been added, and a sprite for a brand new item.(Spoilers, no peeky peeky. Wait until you play for yourself to see it :p)
                                        Goat Hoof and Soldier's Syringe.
                                        Chests are animated and open when the player presses the use button while standing over them. No item spawns yet, I'm working on weights.
                                        Enemy AI tweaks, finished jumping for them mostly.

Updated the page again. Just a few things thrown in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
                                        • cowcatcherer

lol actually jumping is in, it just in my test level (for now)

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.