1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Risk of Rain protocol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alyphen, Nov 5, 2014.

1. alyphen

alyphen Master Chief

It will be a separate download, and run separately from the game (and then you connect from your client). We're not Hopoo, so we have no way of updating their game to use our code or anything. We'll try and make it as easy as possible to set up though.

Java is generally pretty fast to write in, and the performance of the JVM is pretty good.
    That, and my C is absolutely terrible - it would take a few years if I tried to write something like this in C personally.
    The other option that we were considering was Ruby - although for something production-level, we felt Java would be more appropriate (SkyHunter's prototype was Ruby-based)
    That said, if you're writing in Go/C++/whatever, please go ahead! There's nothing stopping you, and I'll be happy to help whenever possible (although SkyHunter is starting a new job soon, so has limited free time)

warxy likes this.
    • letters90

letters90 Void-Bound Voyager

is your spreadsheet up to date?

• alyphen

alyphen Master Chief

It should be - we've been able to get to the point of getting the server to manage character selection and start the game (although there are no enemy spawns, items, etc yet) using it with 1.2.4.
        There might be the occasional thing that is a little outdated, but we do try to update it every time we find something wrong with it.
        If you do find something has changed in a recent version, let us know and we'll verify the change & update the spreadsheet accordingly.

• letters90

letters90 Void-Bound Voyager

Do you have a github page? I don't see a reason for starting from scratch if you already put work into it.

• alyphen

alyphen Master Chief

I believe I linked it earlier in the thread, but here (stormcloud-dev/stormcloud)
            If you're interested in helping out, I'm always in IRC (both #RiskOfRain and ##RiskOfRain on freenode) and there's a Skype chat if you'd like to be added to that.

• KamiKazeJoe

KamiKazeJoe Poptop Tamer

This is excellent work you guys are doing for the game. Wish I could help, but I'm not so code savy from one Java course. Keep up the good work and keep posting the progress :D

• DivinityArcane

DivinityArcane Aquatic Astronaut

Hello.

Not to necro the thread, but is that Skype group still a thing? I'm not too fond of Skype, but I'm interested in writing a server for RoR as well, so any existing information on the networking would be helpful. If worst comes to worst, I could write a proxy logger for it, but why reinvent the wheel.. :)

As a side note, I've written servers for Conquer Online in the past, so RoR should be quite a bit easier.. aside from GameMaker's protocols.. :p

• alyphen

alyphen Master Chief

I'm not fond of Skype either, and SkyHunter's pretty much vanished off the face of the earth. I'm happy to help where you need it - though I'm travelling a lot for work at the moment, I'm usually available on weekends.
                  Stormcloud's been on hold for a little while, since I've been doing some other projects in my free time, but I'm happy to add you to the GitHub organisation if you like.
                  As far as I remember, the server was accepting players and allowed you to join a game, although there were no server side collisions, items, AI, etc. The map loading was almost completed.

• DivinityArcane

DivinityArcane Aquatic Astronaut

Hmm, sounds good to me. I haven't done too much lately either due to work, but me and a buddy really like the game. My Github handle is the same as my username here.