Ring planets

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by godtier, Mar 8, 2016.

1. godtier

godtier Phantasmal Quasar

I've been playing starbound for a long while, but only just now I've noticed something, there are no planets with rings, like saturn, I feel like this small detail would add more variety to planets, even if it's only visual.

2. Tomas Swageroni

Tomas Swageroni Scruffy Nerf-Herder

eyyy sounds pretty good

soulsword3 likes this.
  3. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

This never occurred to me. Wow, yeah we need this.

soulsword3 likes this.
  4. Centonux

Centonux Space Hobo

Maybe even make the rings something you can go too, seeing as rings are just a buncha rocks. Maybe a sort of an asteroid field?

Rookas, soulsword3 and S.A.A. like this.
  5. BigBlueFish

BigBlueFish Void-Bound Voyager

:yoda: Add this you will

6. Brockster17

Brockster17 Phantasmal Quasar

And mabye the asteroid biome for ringed planets would have sand- like blocks instead of asteroids and they would act like platforms. They could have different types of metal and junk blocks in them.

7. Hoddmimir

Hoddmimir Cosmic Narwhal

Even just visual, this is a great idea. It would change the view while on the planet too, which would be awesome. I suppose planets with rings might be more likely to have meteor shower weather effects.

Tlactl, Wingidon and RobedRebel like this.
  8. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

well, they could make the asteroid layer only appear on ringed planets.

Wingidon and Hoddmimir like this.
  9. RobedRebel

RobedRebel Void-Bound Voyager

Exactly I have been thinking the same thing! :)

10. SnailsAttack

SnailsAttack Void-Bound Voyager

As long as it's visible from the surface. ;)

11. Vyrvin

Vyrvin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't like the ideas of people in the comments, don't take this as a insult.
    I have a better idea.

The planet's rings will be visible from navigation ofc
    But i would just make the planet's rings as a background on the surface of planet.
    Just something simple.

Shaggyd0g likes this.
  12. ArmaniQ2512

ArmaniQ2512 Space Hobo

Yeah I agree Vyrvin, it would be better just as decoration for the navigation and background.

13. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Very good point! Considering rings are basically clusters of asteroids, it would be good if we could go over to the rings and mine them for resources as well.

14. Grave Knight

Grave Knight Subatomic Cosmonaut

Dust. Rings are a cluster of dust. It would only have a visual affect. Though being able to explore asteroid belts would be cool.

soulsword3 likes this.
  15. soulsword3

soulsword3 Void-Bound Voyager

Exactly,why not?

16. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh yeah, this would be cool and not super hard to implement

17. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Tho, keep in mind that, at a cosmic scale, those rings got reaally thin dimensions, being sommfink like 10 kms thick

18. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Now with the 1.3 update, we could have planet rings! When you close up on a planet, you will see the planet in the center, it's ring around it, and their moon (if it has any). The planet ring can act as an asteroid field, a large pile of debris, or even technological things like a swarm of satellites/spacestations/structures!

19. 111sonic111

111sonic111 Void-Bound Voyager

I imagine it as more of a duplicate of the actual planet, possibly more like an asteroid field with biomes. imagine finding a village, one ore two houses on one asteroid, multiple asteroids interestingly connected together.