Respawning - Not Cloning, Please - Teleport Idea

Discussion in 'Other' started by Shiokuri, Jan 29, 2013.

1. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

oh god no.
    this would break any potential game economy.

2. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

Good idea, now I can get an epic weapon, and then make thousands more and sell them on tons of servers... :)

3. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

And I think this is confusing two different technologies a bit. One being CLONING and the other being REPLICATING. Maybe if your epic weapon is organic you could clone it... otherwise you'll need a REPLICATOR! Would be kinda cool to have such a thing (it would have to have limitations of course) and you would have to load it with viable material to be used to replicate an object... but I digress...

Miuub likes this.
  4. Dahoga

Dahoga Phantasmal Quasar

I wouldn't consider it "Cloning" or "Replicating" the tools; maybe they are chipped so that if you die they return to the ship in a storage box for you to retrieve after your body is rebuilt/repaired.

5. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

Personally, I kind of like the idea of your gear staying with your body. That makes it more important to 1) Try not to die in the first place, 2) keep some secondary gear that you can use in such a situation (if not only to aid you in recovering your lost stuff), 3) opens up some cool possibilities for possible content. What if we could train a pet to retrieve our gear for us if we died? Or alternately, what if we could build a robot that could seek out our corpse and retrieve our equipment? Plus this also leaves open the possibility that when playing with friends, they can retrieve your gear for you, or guard your body until you return. AND if you're playing with people who may NOT be so friendly, it makes it so they might very well get a nice reward for discovering (or CREATING) your dead body!

6. Arch-Mage Zandor

Arch-Mage Zandor Space Kumquat

Agreed, Whenever I was playing minecraft with friends I loved choosing to either protect their gear from other players or steal it and run off before they can get there

7. Lachee

Lachee Existential Complex

You know what this reminds me off? This:
    [​IMG]

I didn't like paying, however, It did make me more careful in how I fight as i often wanted a new gun, and didn't want to waste my money on dying.

If they include payment, it will be a double edge sword. Many will complain about wasting there money, others, like myself, will like it as it adds a more realistic feel against not dying.

Giving Death likes this.
  8. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

Maybe... just maybe, the way we managed to escape our home planet, was by being cloned? Leaving our present selves behind, free to explore and rule the universe with our new found ability to "begin again" over and over, as long as we control the Space Station, that is. I dunno, I really don't mind the cloning, I can't imagine how respawning could be done otherwise, that would make any sense.

I'm sure the cloning tech has limitations, that prevents if from there being copies of the same entity at a time. Everything you are and wear will break down when you die, preventing any kind of exploit from the device to simply fill your pockets with the most expensive stuff you have, then die over and over, each time reclaiming the loot of your former self, doubling your wealth every time.
    Considering that your shuttle can beam you to planets, it's not so far fetched that it would also be able to grab the corpse of you, gear included, beam the particles/molecules back to the Space Station to be reintegrated to their state prior to your death.
    Though, it would make more sense if it ignored loot and that the cloning chamber simply stored your body, forcing you to go back and reclaim your gear. But I digress, my people need me!
    /Beams up

ArchmageZandor and WoxandWarf like this.
  9. Lachee

Same. Because Tiy has already said that you cannot communicate to your ship underground, so how can you teleport if you die underground?. I still think you should get charged for cloning though, instead of dropping your money on they ground, which isn't very realistic,
    'Hey look, I died, I know, lets drop a set amount of money! Wait Im dead..... Who Cares!?!'

ArchmageZandor likes this.
  10. Lachee

You should also be able to edit the way your person looks from the machine when you configure it because it is recreating you, so why not recreate you in the way you want? (yes similar to boarderlands)

ArchmageZandor and WoxandWarf like this.
  11. Miuub

Miuub Phantasmal Quasar

Ah yes, good point... :unsure:

12. Yettie92

Yettie92 Aquatic Astronaut

By definition, cloning would be more understandable to that of teleportation due to the sheer fact you only need your genetic code and consciousness to successfully recreate yourself, whereas teleportation is moving from point a to point be without physically going through it, pretty much jumping through a dimensional rift or wormhole, or the like and reappearing at point b, wherever it may be, so out of teleportation and cloning, cloning would be easier to pull off, aside from the, you died your consciousness is somehow back, you'd have to go through the trouble of going with what or how something teleports you from your imminent death to safety.

13. LoneRobo

LoneRobo Sandwich Man

I like the teleporting idea. It reminds me of what happens when you "die" in Illusion of Gaia.

14. pitfall

pitfall Big Damn Hero

So this is basically the Borderlands respawn system, except you're healed instead of cloning? lolk

15. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Cloning would fit Starbound better.

Lachee and ArchmageZandor like this.
  16. LoCoZeNoz ZUE

LoCoZeNoz ZUE Tentacle Wrangler

I hate both ideas.
    I would prefer either classical where some magical power/friends/you space ship crew gets you back.
    Either completely classical when you respawn without any explanation.
    Either where you dont respawn at all and you lose the game when you die. (My favorite. WANNA IT)

17. Yettie92

Yettie92 Aquatic Astronaut

one of those healing tanks, you die, they come get you, stick you the tank and get you alive again through that healing factor, depending on you death the longer it takes i suppose

18. Insanitor

Insanitor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it's an awesome idea! :D
    Now, i don't know if you drop you money when you die in this game (played to much terraria) but if you do, then the machine stealing 50% of your money would be "fair"... you might lose alot, or alittle, but you're not a clone ;)

19. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I...don't think it really matters.
    In this sort of game, there's no logical way to reconcile a gameplay mechanic for respawning without sacrificing either "realism" or "suspense".

20. Isoman

Isoman Big Damn Hero

yeah, sorta like how people die and come back to life with there original consciousness intact, not some exact duplicate, but it is you, not a copy,

but in all seriousness the item loss thing is sorta a problem
    EDIT: They transferred your consousness in spore when your ship has been destroyed