1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Resolution Changes Every Tme I Start The Game

Discussion in 'Support' started by AnAnchorPoint, Mar 29, 2016.

1. AnAnchorPoint

AnAnchorPoint Space Hobo

This is my first post so I'm not 100% sure how everything works but I love Stardew Valley and I've been encountering an issue lately.

Since the last update, every time I open the game it's in a very small window and the resolution has changed. When I try to remember what settings I had it set on before, it's a lot of clicking different options and testing if I can click out of the client without it crashing. Today I cannot play in Fullscreen Borderless at all because it crashes every time I switch to that option. I really like this option because I stream on Twitch and it's a necessity to be able to click out of the game often.

Any ideas? Is this a glitch or is there a way to set it to default to my preference every time? Any help is much appreciated!

• uberlobster

uberlobster Void-Bound Voyager

Are you using any mods? Are you using the beta 1.07? Which window mode are you using, Fullscreen or Windowed Borderless? What exactly causes your game to crash; alt-tabbing when in a particular mode, switching modes, something else or all of the above?

Please upload your error log as well which can be located in the following directory: C:\Users\%User Account Name%\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\ErrorLogs

While testing my game, I encountered a crash (attached text) once whilst altering the window mode from Fullscreen to Windowed Borderless. I couldn't reproduce the crash but the setting was not retained after resetting and restarting the game multiple times. This is unusual and I don't know if it's related to the update. Anyways, I found a solution which should work so long as you're fine using Windowed Borderless:

Open file explorer to the following directory: C:\Users\%User Account Name%\AppData\Roaming\StardewValley\
      Open the file 'startup_preferences' (right-click, select Open with, select Notepad) and search for the text <startWindowed>true</startWindowed>
      If you change true to false, the game will open in Windowed Borderless. I don't know the other keywords or applicable settings. Replacing the above text with <startFullscreen>true</startFullscreen> resulted in Windowed Borderless mode.

Attached Files:

• AnAnchorPoint

AnAnchorPoint Space Hobo

Thanks for your response! I don't use any mods, version 1.06 (I think? I didn't know there was a 1.07 yet...), Windowed Borderless 1920 x 1080. It crashed twice this morning when I clicked the "Windowed Borderless" option in the game. But now it's fine.

So I will try to go through those steps and see if that works...I'll check back in later! Thanks again!