Modding Help Resizing Farmer Sprites?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by silrae, Apr 20, 2016.

1. silrae

silrae Void-Bound Voyager

So, I've been trying to make the farmer sprite (currently only the girl one) a little shorter just by two pixels, but I've come across a few problems.
    The biggest problem that I have right now is the blinking animation is completely messed up. I don't really know how to describe it, but here's a gif of what I mean:
    Normal:
    [​IMG]
    Edited:
    [​IMG]
    (disregard the weird torso on the edited gif, this is still a wip)

I've tried to edit and move the eyes in the farmer_base file, but the location of the eyes doesn't change, only what type of eye it shows will change. If I can't figure out how to fix this I'll probably give up on editing the farmers lol.

The second problem I have is the shirts all have to be resized to work. In the gifs you can see how the torso is shorter in the edited gif; that's what I mean by the shirts have to be resized. If I don't resize them they look like this:
    [​IMG]
    This isn't really that huge of a problem, it's just more of a nuisance.

Anyways, has anyone worked with the farmer_base file (specifically the girl one)? If you have, is there any way to fix that blinking problem? I've attached the png file that I've been working on for cross-referencing, but I've only changed the walking animation so far. Thanks in advance! :nod:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

The draw position for that is hardcoded into the game, in short, you cant mess with the farmer like that cause CA never thought of it being needed to mess with the farmer like that.

• silrae

Ah I see, so I guess there wouldn't be a way to change that position by just editing xnb files. That sucks, I would've liked a shorter farmer I hate that the original sprites are taller than almost everyone :/ I guess I'll settle with just editing the build of the sprites rather than their height. Thanks for the info!

• Nivea

Nivea Starship Captain

Shame you cant scale the farmer like you can your pets....

• NeonCoconut

NeonCoconut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It really does suck. I don't mind my female farmer being taller than the girls, but it annoys me that she looks taller than the guys. I like my men taller, lol.

• silrae

Yeah it does suck, I was hoping to make a mod that offers different heights for both farmers, but I doubt I'll ever be able to figure out how to change the animation positions and such. It would've been cool if concernedape had put in a height option in character customization.

• NeonCoconut

NeonCoconut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, you never know, maybe he'll add it in in a future update? I hope so, anyway.

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

Can you use a hair with bangs to have it cover the extra blinking eyes? ^_^

• silrae

Yes, but the bangs would have to cover the entire forehead like this:
                    [​IMG]
                    Side-swept bangs won't cover it:
                    [​IMG]
                    I also have a suspicion that some eye animations in cutscenes might not show up, but I'm not sure.

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

I'm pretty okay with that =P Its a shame that SO MUCH needs to be edited just to shorten the farmer girl. Ever since I saw the height difference first mentioned, its all I see. Same with half the town's female population being bow-legged. Whats up with that? =P (see Maru and Leah and Abigail compared to Haley and Penny? Hmph!)

[​IMG]

• silrae

That's actually what made me want to make a shorter farmer mod! Too bad that might be a bust tho :/ I'm trying to change the legs of the female farmer too to bow-legs, but the animations are a real headache to edit. Right now I'm using Abigail as a reference, but I might switch to Leah since she's closer to the female farmer's original height.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
                        • silrae

So, I tried erasing the eyes in the sprite png file to see if that would stop the blinking problem, but now this shows up:
                          [​IMG]
                          I'm not sure where those pixels are coming from (I don't think they're on the sprite sheet), so I can't erase them. I don't think there's a way to actually fix this, so I'll probably stop being stubborn and drop the shorter farmer idea. If someone finds a fix, I'll pick this back up again

Jinxiewinxie likes this.
                          • soss

soss Tentacle Wrangler

i think you've gotta go into the farmer renderer and look at the code and try to figure out what draws what. i've got like maybe 1 percent of a clue how it works, but at least it's nice to know that people hate the clunky tall farmer as much as i have grown to

• Stifario

Stifario Space Hobo

That won´t bother me.

• Cheese_Thanos

Cheese_Thanos Space Hobo

I know im like 5 years late to this but what if instead of moving the head down, what about moving the legs and shadow up? would that be possible?