REQUEST Request: Furigana for Japanese

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Xiltos, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Xiltos

Xiltos Intergalactic Tourist

Hello Community ;) ,
    I have a request for stardew Valley's Language Pack Japanese. Is there a possibility to add Furigana to the Kanji, so that learner's like me can read and understand the Kanji in the Game a lot faster ?
    It would be a huge thing for enabling language learning with Stardew Valley ;)

Thank you :)

• Luki0

Luki0 Space Hobo

Yes! I would love that as well. I'm studying japanese and just started playing Stardew Valley in japanese. It's a game that i really love so it has been a pleasant experience. But there's some kanjis that i don't know, or sometimes they're words that i do know but didn't know there was a kanji for it. So if it's possible, furigana for students. Perhaps when you go over the kanji with the mouse you can see the furigana? Or an option where shows all in hiragana on another text on top of it...

Thank you!

• Melindee

Melindee Big Damn Hero

Are you talking about the official version? You may want to contact ConcernedApe via Twitter or e-mail as he's the main developer.

• eponymous

eponymous Void-Bound Voyager

Unless there's a way for the game to parse complex markup in strings, there's not going to be a way to add furigana or other ruby characters. (AFAIK, you can't even do simple formatting on text in the game, like bold or italic.) An alternative would be to include pronunciations in parentheses—e.g., あの 古い牧場に引っ越して来たのはあなたかしら would instead be あの 古(ふる)い牧場(ぼくじょう)に引っ越(ひっこ)して来(き)たのはあなたかしら—but that's not as aesthetically pleasing (nor as easy to read).

Regardless, adding pronunciation guides of any kind would require editing every single bit of Japanese text to include them. I believe there are automated tools that can speed up the process, but their suggestions would need to be reality checked. I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon... Though there's always the chance I'll get bored and start plugging away at a mod for it (or someone else will).