Modding Discussion [Request] Functional keypad mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by baconsama25, Feb 23, 2017.

1. baconsama25

baconsama25 Cosmic Narwhal

Seeing as the author of Nyaatech has put his/her mod offline ( this mod: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/nyaatech-programable-keypads-deleted.121257/ ), would anyone offer themselves to make a simple mod for a keypad? One that has an output for correct passwords and another for incorrect passwords ( say 3 wrong passwords). It'd be greatly appreciated ( and once finished and polished would require no maintenance at all! ).

This mod ( outdated) could serve as a template: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/hackable-keypads.2366/

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

3. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Hmm I might cook something up at a point. I've been playing around with GUI stuff so that should be quite possible.

Was this a wired object, or was this added directly to containers/doors/etc? I kinda like both ideas.

4. baconsama25

It was a wired object with two outputs, one that turns high when the password is correct, another that is high when the password hits a strike of 3 wrongs, and turns low again when the password is right.

5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Alright then.

Lets see. 10 digit, 16 digit(hex), and case sensitive full keyboard. Too bad I don't think I can capture full keyboard input from within Starbound. But those sound like options. I'll likely drop the keyboard idea but I believe copy/pasted passwords are possible to make complex passwords viable.

But then I need to store the used passcodes, and do so securely... no maybe that is excessive for Starbound. Storing it is enough.

I might have other ideas to secure things.

xaliber likes this.
  6. baconsama25

I think security is too much as well. One detail that I forgot to mention is that once placed, the first inputs would be the actual password to be required in the future, and once broken down it's behavior would reset, but the first is quite obvious and the second is a matter of taste of the coder. And the passwords were an array of 5 numbers, shamefully I don't have screenshots of the GUI.

7. baconsama25

I remember testing this one, I used it before the 1.0 or at least up to the point that the updated nyaatech one was put into scene, but I'll try it again. Even so, it would be nice if anyone could push it into the new formatting for the 1.0+.

8. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

i can get a screenshot. just a sec
    Whole mod right here. works perfectly fine rn
    <linked removed at implied request>

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  9. kyleetehkitty

kyleetehkitty Title Not Found

Please leave my mod alone >.>

I fail to see how removing my mod from one mod source makes it okay for it to be used as a template when no one even bothered to ask me in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  10. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I have no intention to steal your resources. I respect mod permissions/author's rights.

But I do intend to make something similar. I won't steal from you to make it happen.

11. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't want to intervene or acting as know-it-all or anything, but...

Isn't the mod that is referred as "template" is Hackable Keypads? Not NyaaTech Keypad?

12. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

it was the mod i linked to on Google Drive, which was NyaaTech, i removed the link at implied request

kyleetehkitty likes this.
  13. kyleetehkitty

kyleetehkitty Title Not Found

Thank you

14. Sectrix

Sectrix Phantasmal Quasar

I'm actually working on this exact idea right now. It should be done tonight.