Modding Discussion REQUEST: Better Night Lighting

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Bartalac, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bartalac

Bartalac Intergalactic Tourist

Hi, I really enjoy the art of this beautiful game, but there's something not quite right about the night colors.
    I believe that it applies an overall color correction on the whole image. The problem is, the colors at night are really saturated and contrasted. They should be desaturated and blueish just like in the last image (Photoshop)

Is there a way to edit the values applied to the color correction?

Thanks!

DAY LIGHT
    Day.jpg

NIGHT LIGHT
    Night.jpg

CORRECT NIGHT LIGHT

Correct Night.jpg

• hitachihex

hitachihex Void-Bound Voyager

This is to do with the games ambientLight and eveningColor scaling factor.
      In UpdateGameClock(), the game checks if it's "starting to get dark" or "truly dark", and applies a scaling factor based on that, first, then it modifies outDoorLight based on ambientLight or eveningColor, depending on if it's raining or not.

tidbits here,
      for truly dark:
      Code:
      if (Game1.timeOfDay >= Game1.getTrulyDarkTime())
                  {
                      int num = (int)((float)(Game1.timeOfDay - Game1.timeOfDay % 100) + (float)(Game1.timeOfDay % 100 / 10) * 16.66f);
                      float scale = Math.Min(0.93f, 0.75f + ((float)(num - Game1.getTrulyDarkTime()) + (float)Game1.gameTimeInterval / 7000f * 16.6f) * 0.000625f);
                      Game1.outdoorLight = (Game1.isRaining ? Game1.ambientLight : Game1.eveningColor) * scale;
                  }

for evening:
      Code:
          else if (Game1.timeOfDay >= Game1.getStartingToGetDarkTime())
                  {
                      int num2 = (int)((float)(Game1.timeOfDay - Game1.timeOfDay % 100) + (float)(Game1.timeOfDay % 100 / 10) * 16.66f);
                      float scale2 = Math.Min(0.93f, 0.3f + ((float)(num2 - Game1.getStartingToGetDarkTime()) + (float)Game1.gameTimeInterval / 7000f * 16.6f) * 0.00225f);
                      Game1.outdoorLight = (Game1.isRaining ? Game1.ambientLight : Game1.eveningColor) * scale2;
                  }

An SMAPI mod that changes the eveningColor based on the season like the game itself does would probably be a quick fix, winter looks alright, but could be a tinge darker or so, it uses these values for the RGB:
      Code:
      Game1.eveningColor = new Color(245, 225, 170);

Dozy and farmvillesux like this.
      • dollbae

dollbae Scruffy Nerf-Herder

soooo can this be made a fix or mod?

Iomega0318 likes this.
        • Iomega0318

Iomega0318 Big Damn Hero

lol, also I agree.

@OP
          The last image you photo-shopped looks great and as it should be btw.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

This should be moddable with SMAPI yes, unfortunately I am a bit to busy to make such a mod atm, but I will add it to my "mod ideas" list for when I have time :)

Mana-chan, zyymurgy and dollbae like this.
            • Iomega0318

Iomega0318 Big Damn Hero

You, are amazing! :D

dollbae likes this.
              • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

I have been looking at messing with this, and unfortunately, it seems that with the current limitations, there is no easy way to do better then CA is already doing >_<
                I will keep looking into it, since if I manage to finaggle a fiddly bit about how XNA works, I can do some proper post-processing on the world rather then the hack-job that CA made out of it, either cause he didnt know any better or got lazy after 4 years of finaggling himself... :rofl:

Edit: I managed to finaggle it, then XNA chose to screw me over, so yeah, turns out this is majorly difficult to even try :(

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
                  Harzelora likes this.
                • Iomega0318

Iomega0318 Big Damn Hero

Aww haha, well at least now we know :)

• Delaporte

Delaporte Void-Bound Voyager

Hoping this thread can be revived and bump the mod idea? The colors for night really are muddy and hurt my eyes. Would love to see a blue saturated night instead of what currently happens.