(Req. Chucklefish) Starbound races in SS13?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Fevix, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

I'm trying to make a modification to SS13 to add in Starbound races. It hasn't gotten much of anywhere just yet, and I wanted to make sure it's an okay thing to do.

Some notes:
    • The sprites will be hand-made for the most part. Some may be derivatives of Starbound assets, but no Starbound assets will be directly ripped for use in this modification
    • This will be a publicly available, free-to-play server with open-source code released under AGPL. Donations, if accepted, will be used solely for keeping the server alive (Through paying for a rented machine). Financial history of the server account will be made available to anyone requesting it.
    If this is not okay with Chucklefish, I'd rather be told now than have to take it down later after investing lots of time into it.

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Over the years, I've seen plenty of mods add races to a game (including Starbound) from another. As long as you acknowledge that Chucklefish owns the intellectual property, you should be fine.

Edit: Don't listen to me. I'm an idiot.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Thats... not how that works at all. Just because others have done it with no repercussions doesn't make them ok, and nor does giving credit. Permission is never assumed. You of all people should know this. I'm kinda surprised you would advocate IP theft so openly.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

If I'm mistaken, you're welcome to provide a polite correction. After all, I'm only human. But looking at the number of warnings you've received, you need to lose the attitude. I gave you your final warning over your behaviour some time ago, in case you forgot.

5. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, but he's right. Just because other people do something doesn't mean I can, and permission SHOULD never be assumed, even though I have every intention to provide proper crediting.

I'm specifically wary of this bit of the EULA:
    My question here is whether or not my specific case would count as this, and if it is I will halt development immediately.
    The only similarity between Starbound and StationBound (Work-in-progress name for the project in question) other than name would be as follows:
    • Species names (EG., "Floran" "Apex" "Hylotl", etc)
    • Species appearances (Would be remade from scratch to imitate to some degree the appearances of the species in the game, or use assets from other open-source projects whose assets fit the description but were not, as far as I'm aware, made to seem Starbound based. EG., a plant-person race made by a third party being used for Florans, to lessen the work needed)
    This is why I was asking for Chucklefish: This is a legal question, not one a Forum Moderator is able to answer (Unless Forum Moderators can operate as representatives of Chucklefish in a legal sense)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  6. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Considering the nature of your request... should it not be better if you take it directly to the development team? surely they have a way to be contacted for more serious matters than this, given the activity of these forums, I would very likely suspect that none of the folks able to answer your question would find it here.

7. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

I wouldn't know the first thing about getting in contact with them. This is the best way I know how.

8. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I do not think I have the right, or the standing to provide the contact information, however, here it is.

http://chucklefish.org/cf-presskit/#contact

That page will show you the different ways to contact them, be it business, social, etc etc. I do hope your request gets attention, wether for a positive or negative answer.