Modding Help Really need help making a new block/item mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by nekomaster, Mar 9, 2014.

1. nekomaster

nekomaster Subatomic Cosmonaut

I just simply want to add Asphalt to the game using tar and sand, but I have no clue how to make a new block and searching the forums and google hasn't turned up any results on how to make a new block.

I tried looking at my unpacked_assets but I couldn't figure out what the game does to make a place-able block/tile.

In a sense asphalt will just be a black/grey colored dirt block for my mod.

2. Kazamoto

Kazamoto Yeah, You!

So first you need a .matitem file and a .png. you can get these in your asset/items/materials folder. Just copy and paste. Now you edit those files how you like ( itemName, rarity,descriotion.... ). Your itemName an your materialId has to be unique. Now you need a .material file and another .png geting in asset/tiles/materials. Again copy an paste (i use the cobblestonebrick files).
    now you has to edit the .material file. For "materialId" use the id you used before in .matitem file. For "materialName" and "itemDrop" use the name you used before too. Now edit descriotion and healt of the material and save.
    After that you only need to create a recipe and add the recipe to the player.config anf its done.

3. nekomaster

nekomaster Subatomic Cosmonaut

I get most of that, as I've been working on a little clothing mod my self but for the material ID is there a limit to the value range (like does it just go up to 64? 255? etc?) or can I just type in something random like 12345 and have it work?

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

5. Kazamoto

Kazamoto Yeah, You!

Hm im not realy sure but i think no...the biggest id ive used for now is 666666 and it works.

6. Jatz

Jatz Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you look through all of your assets you will be able to narrow down how an item is made. Go to your unpacked assets and 'SEARCH' for obsidian. It will then bring up all your files related to that block.

Code:
    .png,  ( inventory icon)
    the .matitem,  (information for the material, including description)
    the tile.png, (how it looks in the world)
    the .material (information for the material as a tile)
    the recipe,

and finally you will need to make a merge for the player.config so that it's recipe can be learned.

The guides out there will surely help you very much, but other than that, searching for files and folders was a great way for me to learn about the asset structure, and the file structure for modding.

7. SpiroExDeus

SpiroExDeus Cosmic Narwhal

Hi. I've found this and many other comments useful in working out how to do a material mod. It's a shame the mod section of Starbounder wiki isn't updated more regularly and completely as having all this information in one place would be great and the best place would definitely be the wiki. I may take a stab of drawing info from people's guides on here and advice in the steam forums and putting it together with my own experiences to update the Wiki.

Have you got any help and advice on how to do this or a link to somewhere that tells me as this is the only bit of information you mention that I have yet to come across?

TIA for any help you give

8. SpiroExDeus

SpiroExDeus Cosmic Narwhal

Although... you posted 5 years ago so I'll understand if you don't reply...

9. RainbowHannah

RainbowHannah Void-Bound Voyager

Nowadays you just put a player.config.patch in the main folder of your mod, with standard .patch JSON.