Randomly generated seasons

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by penguin055, Apr 17, 2014.

1. penguin055

penguin055 Pangalactic Porcupine

I think seasons should be implemented into starbound. There could be different season patterns, similar to the different patterns on earth. The season lengths would be procedurally generated, and corresponding elliptical orbit paths could be seen from the starmap (instead of them all being circles). Things such as temperature, plant growth rate, and monters would change throughout the different seasons.

Trenix and Jerln like this.
  2. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

I think this would be a really neat effect, but it would only be noticed by players if they spend a lot of time on an individual planet. If they only go to a planet for, say, one season, then they don't notice the other seasons of that planet. They'd skip off to the next one. Eventually they would see different seasons, but the only time that changing seasons would affect them is on a "home" planet where they have a farm and stuff built up.

3. penguin055

penguin055 Pangalactic Porcupine

I see where you're coming from, but from what I've heard the new progression system should give players more reasons to stay on one planet. All the new quests and stuff should keep players on planets longer, and players who rely on farming would be affected quite a bit by seasons.

Jerln likes this.
  4. Nathaniel Hallé

Nathaniel Hallé Aquatic Astronaut

I totally agreed. They could make specific season for type of planet like Desert Planet won't have winter, or Snow Planet won't have summer. They also could make different seasons from Earth, like I don't know Meteor season which would only have meteor falling for a period. Planet's magnetic field would change and gravity so. It would be great.

penguin055 likes this.
  5. matheod

matheod Big Damn Hero

I also agree. It would add more attachment to home planet.

penguin055 likes this.
  6. Trenix

Trenix Twenty-three is number one

This would make planets feel way more alive. I would like it to snow eventually on my planet rather than visiting other planets just to experience it.