Modding Help Race Mods Known to Kill NPCs?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by royal_fish, Aug 26, 2017.

1. royal_fish

royal_fish Phantasmal Quasar

I posted this question in the support, but I did not receive an answer.

Essentially, I have a lot of race mods installed, and when I encounter a village of NPCs, several of them will periodically vaporize and drop their pixels without me doing anything. Sometimes a quest giver will even die when I'm out on my quest, so I can't complete it.

I've tried removing race mods one at a time, such as removing Kazdra, then rebooting and going into a different village to observe what happens, but no matter what I do, NPCs won't stop dying. I really don't want to play Starbound with only the vanilla races at this point, so any help would be appreciated. Log is attached.

Attached Files:

2. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Based on a quick analysis of the log it seems like your problem is actually a mod by the name of "Weapon_GrandArmory" (the name is referenced directly from the log, I do not know what this mod is)

It uses some improper patching to the NPC files, this is probably the most common way to accidentally kill a NPC with a mod. You should give this log the the author of the "Weapon_GrandArmory" mod, and tell them that the mod is causing the NPCs to spontaneously disappear.

3. royal_fish

I actually did try to remove this mod since I saw a lot of errors in the log referencing it, and NPCs were still disappearing when I went back in. However, could it be that the damage is already done when the universe is generated or something? Would starting a new game without Grand Armory maybe fix it?

Thanks for the reply, BTW. I really want to play some Starbound at this point instead of spending my evenings trying to figure this out.

4. royal_fish

I did a fresh install of the game and all mods, deleted all the npc patches in iHart's Grand Armory mod, and started a new game. I fought 3 cultists on the starting world; the last one followed me as I ran away, then suddenly stopped moving and died. Here is the log of a full play session; I really need to find the problem if I want to keep playing this game.

Attached Files:

5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Code:
    Exception caught loading asset: /dialog/combat.config:lostTarget, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /dialog/combat.config:lostTarget
    eventually getting to the reason
    Code:
    Error parsing json: bad array, should be ',' or ']' at 13:7
    Apparently someone didn't test their mod before releasing it. Well... it happens.

For you, some actionable steps are doing a file search (from \starbound\mods\) for
    Code:
    combat.conf*
    That will list if someone is patching(what they should be doing) or replacing the file. One has a JSON error.

Beyond that, you might just re-download all these file and hope you simply had an outdated mod or two that have since been fixed.

6. royal_fish

Thank you for the reply! Would the combat.config also explain why NPC villagers that don't engage in combat disappear?

Below are the search results. All of them are a patch file. Should I just delete all of them, assuming they're just new speech bubbles?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  7. SpazDiesFirst360.0

SpazDiesFirst360.0 Phantasmal Quasar

Did you find anything? I had this problem rarely but I did a cleanup, removed all my mods, then reinstalled everything I absolutely needed and it solved the issue. Probably a race mod that had a little bit of bad patching.

Ever since then, I don't really install any mods (I went from over 160 to 3). I only use FU, drop disabled for survival, and the mod that I'm developing.

8. royal_fish

I'm fairly certain I solved the issue by simply deleting the "dialog" folder of every race mod, so props to @bk3k for pointing that out. I might miss some quirky one liners that way, but compared to NPCs exploding as I walk through a village, it's a million times better, and I still get to keep the mods.