Race Race creator!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Fatsquishypanda, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Fatsquishypanda

Fatsquishypanda Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You should implement some kind of Race creator so people can implement exotic, and unknown races of their own into RP, or just for fun! xD I think it would make Starbound even more awesome than it already is. Like/Comment if you want this to go through leave suggestions for the developers if you want if it is connected to this thread in any way enjoy! :3

2. Fatsquishypanda

No problem but I know there are mods you can get, or even make you're own race that way but if the developers could put some kind of sprite creator into the system where we could just make a sprite using a shape, or something of that sort we could play on servers that may not allow mods with those custom races.

3. The5lacker

The5lacker Phantasmal Quasar

Yes, lets ask the devs to put in a system where people can make completely flavorless pseudo-races composed of preconstructed parts with no backstory, history, interactions, etc. and take away from people actually modding and putting honest effort into their creations.

Exilyth and Afrothunder like this.
  4. Muffo99

Muffo99 Starship Captain

If they add this race creator thing, it would take quite a lot of coding and time and effort. For one, they would have to create a way you can mix and match races together and the player would have to name it and add it to the game. The dev team would have to create NPC models of every mixed race to make the community happy. This would take a LOT of effort. If they made this tho you should be able to add abilities to your races like no fall damage (if part avian) and can breath underwater (if part hylotl)

5. OuttaThinAir

OuttaThinAir Big Damn Hero

Or you could just painstakingly edit it pixel by pixel until finally your masterpiece is complete.

6. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Honestly I'd settle for a utility designed around making starbound races. I can draw just fine, it's the stupid configuring of 50 files located in dozens of folders that's frustrating. Also, more parameters for sprites would be nice. Masks on other parts of the body and per-sprite would make adding tails, extra limbs, spikes, wings, or other appendages a lot easier without armor going over them and looking really awkward.

I know that wasn't the intent of your post but I'm just putting it out there in the most relevant place I could find; game is in beta though so maybe the player sprites and how the game reads them will change someday.

7. Fatsquishypanda

Well I was thinking of something between pixel editing, and pre-made model parts and it would be a lot easier for the average person to make their own race than make request to a modder when most modders will only make a race they feel is good enough to release. AND technically the dev's could also add a text box so you can make your own story behind the race, and ect.

8. Utkudakid

Utkudakid Subatomic Cosmonaut

Man,that would be fantabulous.Like white templates you can color on and draw on.

9. AskAlexMercer

AskAlexMercer Space Spelunker

10. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

You should try this

its a race template mod that lets you plug in your own sprites and work backwards, editing however much or little you want =3