Modding Discussion Question with Steam mods regarding empty mods

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Nexus Of Chaos, May 30, 2019.

1. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

I'm wanting to upload a "mod" to the Steam Workshop that doesn't contain anything, its simply a "mod" with a list of race extenders for race modders to list as a requirement rather than point to a specific race extender, since not every1 wants to use Xbawks (as an example, not dissing it). would this be allowed by Chucklefish and Steam?

2. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

I wouldnt see why not, You could also just make a post here for people to link

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

That really isn't a mod, probably more of a guide.

4. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

It sounds like you want to make a collection

projectmayhem likes this.
  5. Nexus Of Chaos

not a collection or a guide, as neither can show up here
    [​IMG]
    i'm needing it to be a mod and in the description i post links to race extenders

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

It is a guide, because it doesn't need to show up there.

Required Items is only for actual modders that have dependencies for their mod.
    You are simply writing how people can get access to race extenders.

The problem with collection is there is an option to "Subscribe to collection" which will subscribe to all Race Extenders at same time - which will cause the game to bug out.

7. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

Problem is, people will subscribe to your empty mod and complain the species mod doesn't work. People do not read no matter how much you shove information in their faces.

For most people it's better to get them to use one race extender instead of making them manually choose. If people have a problem with that then it's up to them to choose a different one. A guide would help those people pick the best suited race extender for their needs.

I honestly don't understand why there have to be so many options. It's just a race extender and nobody needs more than however many slots a race extender (like xbawks) adds.
    https://xkcd.com/927/

DrPvtSkittles likes this.
  8. Nexus Of Chaos

ok. i was gonna elaborate on what i meant, but now i see the issue. tho i still think it would've been a good idea if ppl actually read things rather than just look thru the requirements and downloaded each without even looking at what they were

9. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

Also if someone wants a different one, they will take the time to sub.

10. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

I think that Steam users are able to write guides for games that they have purchased. Perhaps you could write up a guide for Starbound and provide some links to the race extenders?

11. Nexus Of Chaos

no thx. i was just wanting to fix the issue of race devs listing extenders ppl might not actually want as a requirement despite that specific race extender being required