Question concerning planets

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Suika Ibuki, Oct 4, 2012.

1. So lately I've been wondering how exactly the planets would look like when zoomed out, assuming the planets' graphics can be seen in some way through a star map or something.
    With that in mind, I wanted to ask, will biomes be visible when looking at planets? For example, you can easily tell what biomes a planet will have simply from its looks [Tentacle Planet will have tiny tentacles protruding from the curst]?

Though thinking about that raises another question.
    Do planets have a variety of biomes [tentacle planets can have green forests, etc], or will its biomes match the current "theme" of the planet [tentacle planets can have purple forests, made of tentacles]?

Of course, these are all assuming planets can be seen in any way via star map, grid, whatever makes it possible.
    As such, if "No, you can't see planets in any way" is true, then please disregard this :0

2. AquaManYeah

AquaManYeah Subatomic Cosmonaut

Since there's no informations about that, I think we just have to wait for the inter-plannetary travel video, which probably answer to your first question.

3. I suppose. Or maybe if Starbound is having a trailer, I'm hoping to see at least a glimpse of this.

4. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

im still waiting on that combat video that was announced to be "coming soon" before the planet one was even mentioned :confused:

but anyway, im not even sure if we will be able to see a planet before going there: or at least see something about it either

what im thinking is you punch in some coordinates or generate a random one, and on your space computer thingy it'll come up with some details for the planet such as

planet type: idek what to put here, maybe what the highest biome type count is that appears the most (forest type, jungle type, steam punk type, etc.)
    or even just a few biomes that take up a majority of the planet perhaps?

threat level: 1-100

population: *insert number here* maybe this could be a rounded number of how many non-hostile(until attacked) npcs there might be

and just some other basic info on the planet, like most common ore, prominent race(what race type you would see most often like avians, apex, etc.)

and after checking out the info you get a "travel here - yes/no" option

just some of my thoughts

Auraknight likes this.
  5. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

I think our most current information is that the "starmap" is a list.

6. Auraknight

Auraknight Weight of the Sky

be nice if you could,
    add a little bit more depth to the game, ya know?
    ahh well,
    we will see.
    ^
    THIS TO THE MAX!

Ephexis likes this.