1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about wiring up tram stops

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by IonTichy, Jun 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. IonTichy

IonTichy Master Chief

I was hoping to build a really long underground tramline, but ran into some problems during wiring up of the call buttons.
    The main issue is the limited wire range which prevents me from directly connecting two tram stops (they are really far apart).
    So I decided solving the problem using XOR-gates which act as wire bridge elements.
    This did not work as the signal from my source tram stop did not arrive at the target tram stop.

Is this intended? Can the tramstop network only consist of direct tramstop to tramstop connections?

My current workaround is simply using more tramstops between them....but this requires pressing direction buttons at every intermediate stop which kinda defeats the purpose of the tram (i.e. travelling a long distance without button presses..) or else the tram...well..stops.

2. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, that's sadly how it works. Someone could probably make a mod to add rail tram signal extenders if you asked.

3. SecretOf42

SecretOf42 Intergalactic Tourist

I use or gates with an open input as a bridge, seems to work pretty well, not sure if it would work here but could give it a try.

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

It wouldn't, because tram stops don't actually send normal signals. And OR gates and XOR gates function exactly the same way in this context.

5. IonTichy

IonTichy Master Chief

Hmm that's what I figured...too bad.

Maybe I can figure out a workaround for the intermediate stops problem using rail sensors.

If not, then this could be a good reason to look into modding :)

6. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

I've got it.

So, every node in the network has to be connected with wiring, but they don't all have to be connected with rails. Set up some nodes off the rail line itself. They'll activate and move the tram when you click the button or whatever to call, but they won't make the tram stop because it won't touch them.

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

So what you're saying is, if I understand correctly:
    First make the rail network you want.
    Then, for every pair of stops that is too far away to connect normally, you add extra rail stops that are placed not on the rail network itself, but still in between those two stops. To get calling from one rail tram stop to work, you ensure that pressing the button for that rail tram stop also activates hidden rail tram stops that are close enough to be connected to the normal rail tram stops.

8. IonTichy

IonTichy Master Chief

Of course! *facepalms*
    Simple and elegant solution, nice!

9. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I asked Metadept, and he said that that's actually a good workaround. So it's even dev-approved.

10. Knight9910

Knight9910 Existential Complex

Here's an example of the setup I made, so you can see how it works, in case anyone is still having trouble picturing it. You don't need to use two of them like I did, I just did that so it would look symmetrical.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Nerdatlas5 and Luna Celestica like this.
  11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Ooh, I like the way you decorated it. First good use of the pillar blocks I've seen.

12. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I had this exact same problem a few days ago. Thanks, @Knight9910.

13. Hiladar

Hiladar Void-Bound Voyager

I found on a video that you can use ¨Delay gates¨ for long distances

14. velimzzzz

velimzzzz Void-Bound Voyager

Has anyone figured out how to extend range through loading zones? I've tried several different methods but nothing has worked.

15. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Easiest way is to just use tram stops as extenders, but not connect those to the actual rails. So just put a rail tram stop off to the side of your rail system, wire it up as if it were on the rail system (input or output connected to one side of the line, and the other connected to the other side of the line), and it'll send the signals along.

16. velimzzzz

I've done that but it won't cross the loading zone in between. Unfortunately.

17. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

What do you mean exactly? Do you mean the tram doesn't actually move if you're standing on the other part of the tram line and try to call the tram over to you? If so, could you please draw a simple diagram of how you've set up your tram system (like in Paint or something)?

18. velimzzzz

It's two stops on a horizontal rail 350 blocks in length. I've used rail tram stops of off the line at regular intervals to bypass the wire length cutoff. But when I press the button the car doesn't move unless I walk to a little past the center of the track. Then I'll see it moving towards me.

19. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Huh. That's kind of strange. Maybe try putting the intermediate "wire lengthener" tram stops a little closer together? If that doesn't work, try putting a string of XOR gates attached to a persistent switch along the track. I know that my very tall mansion tram system can load a tram from the top of the mansion even when I'm standing at the bottom, and I know for sure that's out of loading distance.

Also, is your tram stop activation button attached to the correct input?

20. velimzzzz

Yeah it's the same setup I've used for all my other elevators/ trams. I'll upload a screenshot.