Question about bait

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stryder87, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

So I usually never use wild bait since it takes so much more to craft than regular bait. But, I'm wondering if it really is worth it even if I do use it. I was looking at the wiki about the differences and was hoping someone who looks at code can tell me something:

Bait: Default bait, decreases the time taken for fish to bite (reduces the delay before a nibble by 50%) and lowers chance of getting trash items.

Wild Bait: Decreases the time taken for fish to bite slightly more than standard bait, reduces the delay before a nibble by 62.5%.

Reading that, it seems that wild bait doesn't decrease the chance of trash like regular bait does. Is that true? Seems pretty weak if it only increases nibble time by 12.5%. For what it takes to craft, I would think it should include the lower chance of trash too.

Can anyone clear that up for me?

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

i've done a lot of fishing and it just feels like having a slightly cruddier bubble spot

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I don't delve into coding, but I just ignore the wild bait altogether. Regular bait is easy to craft or get, and I'm not sure I would notice the 12.5% difference anyways. If there was something besides "slightly less time for whatever it is to bite" I might bother, but with that being the only difference, I'd rather hang around mine levels 10-20 and stock up on Bug meat for the regular bait...

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Going round the bug lair in the sewers and killing everything, while wearing a burglar ring, usually nets 60-ish bug meat because of double drops, and there's always a load of fiber in there too. Do it on a Monday and you can also grab 50 slime from Krobus while you're down there, which gives you everything you need for Wild bait in one easy trip, enough to craft 50 Wild bait, more if you have been killing slimes elsewhere

I've recently done a fair bit of fishing with it, just to try it out, and I'd say it certainly does feel like fish bite faster. I can go eel fishing at 4pm and get 60+ casts by 2am, which is a bit more than one bite every ten minutes

I'd imagine it's essential to use wild bait in multiplayer, because the clock doesn't stop while you are reeling the fish in, so 62.5% faster instead of 50% is the sort of little edge that has to be taken

• Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I gave up on wild bait too. I couldn't tell any difference between it and regular

• Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

Isn't the purpose of learning the Wild Bait recipe only to get the ultra-creepy cut-scene from Linus, his first scene at minimal friendship, inviting you into his tent and then hearing the weird, squishy noises?

EverGreen Ted likes this.
              • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

fat people make for better bait?