1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Quest Bug: NPC despawns if in multiple quests

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by WildPauline, Jan 12, 2017.

1. WildPauline

WildPauline Void-Bound Voyager

Basics: Windows 8.1; fullscreen (usually); game hangs for a few seconds but doesn't crash

I've found that if a single NPC ends up being on the receiving end of multiple quests, then I talk to said NPC, it goes very badly. The game will hang for several seconds, then the target NPC will permanently despawn. (Game treats as if killed, and in fact there is a video effect as if it explodes.) Since the targets of quests ("now give the item to so and so") appear to be random the only way to avoid this issue seems to be to do only one quest at a time, which is of course unworkably inefficient.

2. WildPauline

WildPauline Void-Bound Voyager

Update: (First, my mistake: I play windowed, but maximized; not the same as fullscreen.) I found another quest overlap that triggers the same bug. I had two quests to rescue different lost NPCs from the same Avian tomb. Got one from a Floran town (on a jungle planet) then another from a Hazmat scientist I found en route. On the return, after turning in the lost girl quest to the scientist, he had another quest. This time it was to get a cross-mounted skull from the human rescuee and give it to the floran who was still in process of being rescued. This seemed innocent enough, but caused the game to hang and the floran to eventually die as noted above. Interestingly, the quest didn't actually fail until I returned to the floran town and got close to the quest giver.