1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

PvP? ever?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bluepanda, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Bluepanda

Bluepanda Void-Bound Voyager

You know when you said the game was redundant to the arena mode, does it mean we are never going to have arena mode?

• Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

Pretty sure the arena mode wasn't PvP. I don't recall PvP ever being planned.

Arena mode became redundant because, it was originally planned to be an endless survival mode. At the time they announced it as a stretch goal it wasn't planned to be able to infinitely loop in the main game, which effectively fills the role arena mode was meant to serve.

• alyphen

alyphen Master Chief

I think PvP could be a fun addition. When I get the time on my hands to go back to stormcloud development, I'll have a look at doing something there, since I imagine it would be possible to do entirely server-side.

• Giin

Giin Space Hobo

I'd really enjoy a PvP expansion of RoR most definitely.

• bkroo

bkroo Yeah, You!

I don't see how PvP would work; the game simply is not designed for it and would basically require rebalancing and altering mechanics to the point where it'd be a totally different game and not Risk of Rain. Particularly the characters - their abilities are simply not meant to be used against other players and were not meant to be balanced relative to one another (they play very differently from one another and are meant to be fun, not necessarily all equally powerful).

• Bluepanda

Bluepanda Void-Bound Voyager

I actually don't see why not! The abilities are strong in their own ways and with some balancing and most probably a lot of coding by our game makers, I say it is possible and most likely to get attention of my stubborn friends who only wants to play 5 star rated games.