Pufferfish too difficult

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FunsizedKilljoy, May 27, 2018.

1. Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

Thank you for the suggestion, but I did read the posts.
    And that depends on who is fishing. I never found pufferfish to be difficult, even with lower fishing skill. Challenging, but not difficult.

• parabolic paradise

parabolic paradise Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't think any fish is too difficult. Yeah, there are some annoying ones to catch, but I like that. Catching something after a struggle is way more satisfying than if everything was no real challenge to me. Setting out first thing in the morning in Winter, Dish o' the Sea and Trap Bobber in hand, to the location spoken of in the book to reel in my very first Legendary Fish ever is probably my favorite Stardew Valley memory.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
      • Git Gud Fox

Git Gud Fox Star Wrangler

My favorite memory fishing is introducing my friend to the game and watching him rage quit the minigame after about 5 minutes. Now, fishing is his favorite activity in SDV. I like that the minigame is interesting enough to not feel like it's just thrown in as a distraction but feels like a legitimate part of the game.

• parabolic paradise

parabolic paradise Subatomic Cosmonaut

I agree! It can take a bit to get used to it at first, but sometimes I find myself missing it when playing games that are purely timing based when it comes to fishing.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

With an iridium rod, tackle, fishing level 10 and a +3 buff, the number of difficult fish is pretty small and looks like this

1) Legend

Aaaaand that's it. That's why it's called Legend, and why it's the most valuable item in the game, because it's difficult. Something that can be shipped for as much as 11,250g shouldn't be easy.

If you think the pufferfish is difficult then you need more practice. Get better and they won't trouble you

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that.... :) Only from my own perspective, of course.
              At 10 Fishing and +3 food (I rarely ever use a bobber once I'm at level 10), and even with an easy fishing mod, I still find that stupid Super Cucumber the worst of them all. At least Legend will pop up quickly on the meter and hover relatively stable up top, maybe drop once or twice, but he's way more stable than those blasted Super Cucumbers! :mad: Those beasties are all over the damn meter!

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Try using Lazy Fish. I dropped the frequency of the Super Cucumber waaay down, and made it use a Smooth AI so it won't be janking all over the place. It's a Content Patcher mod, so you'll need that as well.

• One More Day

Seriously? Super cucumbers are just normal fish. Okay they're not easy like carp, but they're not even the hardest normal fish, and definitely way, way easier than a Legend, which are legit hard, and rightly so. I always go buffed to 13 and using trap bobber if I'm chasing them, and even then I reckon I only have maybe a 50% chance at landing a Legend. Although my wife annoys me by regularly reeling them in at plain old fishing 10, without a buff, just a trap bobber. She's proper good at the fishing, like catching catfish on the rainy day 3 and stuff like that.

IMO the hardest regular fish is the octopus, admittedly they too are actually quite difficult for me to land, and I definitely do need tackle and buff for those too, to feel good about my chances. I think also octopus feel worse because it's so rare to even get a bite.

You should definitely use a bobber, it makes life soooooo much easier. If you aren't then there's not much point getting the iridium rod. I don't bother getting the iridium rod until I'm level 10 because there's no fish I need it for before then

• Scubysnax

Scubysnax Seal Broken

"too difficult for them*".

*Many others have done it either with mouse input or wireless controllers.

• xyris

xyris Void-Bound Voyager

I was lucky, I caught three pufferfish on summer 9 or 10 in year 1. As far as I can remember, it was a neutral day. I had level 10 fishing with a fibreglass rod, no food buff, no bait and no tackle. There was a hotspot off the pier. I think I hooked 7 or 8 pufferfish but managed to land only three of them.

• Git Gud Fox

That's the problem with the octopus. You don't get a lot of chances to practice with it with the low bite rate.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

I think that the fishing minigame is very broken, Stardew isn't a very flawed game for CA first adventure in creating a game, but I can't stand fishing. Regular fishes and rares are ok to catch, but I really hate the RNG involved, sometimes I can catch some fish ok, but there are others that the bar won't stand still and there's absolutely nothing that I can do.

I think that the floaters should work different:
                          • unbreakable or;
                          • cost way less to produce, but you should be able to equip more than one in succession, just like the baits.
                          I don't look at fishing as a minigame, since it's required early game and for complete quests and bundles, I totaly will download the easier fishing mod because the one that I had wasn't working after some patches.

• One More Day

Oh man, tell me about it. First time I got Master Angler the octopus was the last fish I needed, and including a couple that escaped, it took me about two weeks before I finally got one. By the time you do a handful of morning chores on the farm and then there's the time to get to the beach, you've only got about three or four hours per day to catch it. Funniest thing was during that time there was a message board request from Willy asking for three Octopus, I was like that's surely got to be impossible in two days

They can't get much cheaper. Trap bobber is the best tackle for caching the more difficult fish IMO, and it's cheap as chips, one copper bar and 10x sap; you should be swimming in sap with all the trees you cut down, and one copper bar is pretty easy too by then. If you prefer the cork bobber, it's just 10x wood, 5x hardwood and 10x slime, again all very easy to come by, you should have tons of all of those too by the time you have an iridium rod.

Alternatively, if for some reason you don't have the ingredients to hand, you can just buy the bobbers ready made from Willy, they're only like 500g each or something. Even on a small farm, on average you're surely going to be pulling in something in excess of 10k every day by mid-summer, so they're very affordable and everything you catch will just be more money for you as well. Summer fishing at the ocean is very profitable with octopus, pufferfish and super cucumber all available at various times of the day. If you chose the 50% Angler bonus, your bobber will help you catch fish worth probably 4,000-5,000g before it is used up. So you're not exactly losing money by buying it.

I'll admit it's a bit awkward that you can't stack them, but that's because each one has its own value, depending on how much use it has had. If you sell a new tackle you get more money than if you sell one that has been half used up. I don't know exactly how much, I don't think there's a direct linear relationship between sell price and remaining uses. But anyway, that's why they can't stack, or be equipped in succession like bait.

• Lt. Col. of Truth

Lt. Col. of Truth Seal Broken

For me the fishing is one of the better parts of the game. Spring 4 I usually buy the fiberglass rod and 50x bait, with the money from fishing on spring 2, and it pays for itself the first day at the mountain lake.

I kind of put off summer fishing until I get the iridium rod, after the first melon harvest. By then I'm usually level 7 and with a trap bobber the pufferfish goes down easy. If I've managed to get a sandfish off the travelling cart, the pufferfish finishes the specialty fish bundle and gets the 5x dish of the sea.

With that fishing buff the octopus and crimsonfish are easy enough and I'm on pace to get the legend and master angler achievement on the first rainy day of year 2.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

• blind3rdeye

blind3rdeye Big Damn Hero

When your character's fishing level is low, it's very difficult to catch anything; and there are some fish that are pretty much impossible. But when you get your character experience up, then it isn't hard any more. Level 10 fishing with a trap bobber makes pretty much everything easy.

If you're struggling to get started, then it's probably best to just catch carp in the mountains. Those are the easiest.

Regarding tackle, I'd suggest that you only use tackle if you have a particular goal in mind. If you want treasure, use the treasure hunter or the magnet. If you want to catch a difficult fish, use a trap bobber. For anything else, it's probably best to not use any tackle. I reckon the dressed spinner is almost useless - because although it increases the catch rate, it probably doesn't increase it by enough to actually pay for itself (except maybe for lava-eel or something like that).

A few people in this thread are saying "I find it difficult, therefore it is too difficult." Please don't be like that. Don't expect to be able to do everything straight away. Build up to it. Embrace the challenge. And use the resources you are given to achieve your goals! (Earlier on, someone said that they don't use tackle, but they think fishing is too hard. ... That person should start using tackle, and then fishing might not be too hard any longer!)

I reckon fishing is alright as it is, but I'd far rather than fishing be made more difficult than easier. If it was any easier it might as well just be an auto-win animation that you have to wait for. (Fishing in the early game is quite challenging, but in the late game most fish are super easy already. It makes it a lot less interesting.)

• Git Gud Fox

I have always felt that, since the coin-op and old Atari VCS / NES days, when games were difficult across the board, an effect of games generally becoming pretty easy has conditioned players to expect smooth sailing throughout the experience.

I remember when Ninja Gaiden 2 came out on the Xbox 360, there was a big fuss over people demanding a lower difficulty than the lowest difficulty. In more recent times, we had Cuphead and the outrage at its difficulty. The hardest games I've played, in recent times, are the Long Dark, Don't Starve, and XCOM 2.

There is such a thing as too hard, and I define it was when the difficulty loses its art and is hard for the sake being lolhard instead of being hard and still convincingly blending into the game.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

So you've played NES HARD games? (like Ghosts N Goblins or Battletoads)

Having played games since the Atari 2600 was a big thing, I'm aware games overall tend to be easier but still like a challenge! The assumption with the pufferfish is that people have been fishing for a bit and have a few levels already. At level one fishing the pufferfish is just too hard, but by level 5 it's not too bad (I think...I don't remember when I tend to get the pufferfish but I know it's around level 5 or so)

• Git Gud Fox

When I was very young, I think I was 4, I had my first major video gaming meltdown playing the Atari VCS port of Space Invaders. I remember taking the joystick, reversing it to hold it like a hammer and bashing the Atari up. It didn't have any signs of physical damage that I remember, but the system never worked after that. My grandparents never found out it was me, and they wound up upgrading to the Atari 7800, so it wound up working in my favor.

I was mainly a Mega Man and Bomberman guy on the NES, but neither of those games are nearly as hard as Ghosts 'N Goblins or Battletoads. I think the hardest NES game I finished was Castlevania. My parents mainly bought me SEGA stuff, though, so I only got to play games like Battletoads when I visited my friends. I distinctly remember never finishing the first hover bike area.

• WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

I don't know about you, but I ran out of sap pretty fast, also a copper bar for something that don't last a day isn't cheap, the floaters decay way too fast for me to bother creating one, 500g isn't cheap, but I give more value to sap than copper.

And I don't even started with the Wild Bait, the cost benefit for all the lures isn't worth at all, take a look at the video that @Git Gud Fox posted (at 1:15), this is exactly the same BS that I find everytime when I attempt to fish.

• Fuzzyman

Fuzzyman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For you

I don't see a way to do a survey. That would be an interesting question