PSA: Watch out for Steam Scams.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Xylia, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So just earlier, someone tried to scam me on Steam.

I think the screenshots should speak for themselves:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5cbcl1hpaqejvh/steam_report_ed.png?dl=0

When this user sent me the link to the 2nd user's profile, I checked it. They looked like a normal user, and lacked any sort of support badge, yellow/gold colored name, etc and in fact, they were Trade Banned. This made me immediately suspicious. Here's the conversation that followed with that second user:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhid3a8qo5ua472/steam_scam_attempt_ed.png?dl=0

They posted a doctored video of them opening up my account, and some fake looking red text saying that "This user has a pending ban for fraud" and them clicking buttons that led to I assume was a fake app that looks like the Steam's UI with buttons to clear the user or to proceed with ban.

This all looked very fishy to me. If Valve suspected someone of Fraud, they wouldn't put an "impending ban" on them, and they would have been contacted by email or at the very least, by someone with an actual Steam Staff badge on them.

I tried to ask what the appeal would entail and they dodged the question, because I am quite sure the process would have included me giving them my Username/Password (something that you should absolutely NEVER do, that NO Steam Staff will EVER ask for!).

Both of these users immediately removed me from their friendlist and the conversation ended. I was not banned despite the 2nd user hovering their cursor over a "Clear charges" or "Ban user" buttons.

I filed a ticket about the 2nd user (shoulda included the first too, but oh well).

Don't fall for this.

Pangaea and Daikon Ocelot like this.
  2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

That is really something we should be careful with. I'll keep this kind of thing in my mind.

Thanks for sharing!

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Thanks for the heads-up.