1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed PSA: Missing Character / Invalid Save File after patch?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Strife, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Essence

Essence Void-Bound Voyager

Guys, how can I do a "restart from scratch" of Starbound on Steam? I want my saves back :)

2. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

I just had my character with steel bars just now *cry* wut happen :cry:? I wish for totally first one to be fix plz so this monstrosity won't happen again to anyone plz.

3. ShadowVVolf

ShadowVVolf Master Chief

Well it makes it hard to test a game when you lose your progress and it takes about 10 hours to get to the point where the game is really in its beta phase. So yes save compatibility should be in so you can at least save 10 hours of sitting and mining to actually test the game for them to give feedback. Or at the very least give the testers cheats to speed it up.

4. CinnamonStick

CinnamonStick Space Hobo

Thanks for the tip on refund category! Maybe the game will be worth revisiting after release, but the unnecessary character wipes and lack of a proper disclaimer aren't very promising.

5. ShadowVVolf

ShadowVVolf Master Chief

Refunding your money won't help implement the things you want in, they use that type of money to help make the game and if you plan on playing later why refund and give the devs a harder time.

shenzonomega likes this.
  6. Kanedork

Kanedork Subatomic Cosmonaut

Why are there so many people whining about the deleted characters? When you buy a product, you're supposed to read and be aware of all of the caveats, and this was a clearly stated and prominent one. Asking for a refund over a mistake that's entirely yours doesn't sound like it'd have much success either, specially with the not-so-refund-happy Steam guys.

7. shenzonomega

shenzonomega Lucky Number 13

Ever heard or played of a game called Edge of Space? Another early access game like this but when they update you can still use your saves. And thanks for your opinion :).

CinnamonStick likes this.
  8. shenzonomega

This is true. At the time I posted I was just very upset. But you do make a good point.

9. shenzonomega

Refunds are not a problem when you have invested a lot of money for Steam games. And the refund went to my Steam wallet for future use. Just felt I would point that out. But you do have a point about reading everything and it being my mistake.

10. creepydude555

creepydude555 Void-Bound Voyager

Kind of sucks for me since I played for 30 hours the first two days that I got it and now that is all gone. I was just hoping you could do something to fix the game files to work, but apparently not. Oh well, I mean, I'm the one to blame, since it specifically said in gigantic bold letters on any place you viewed it that it was an early beta. But it is still an awesome game, nevertheless.

Kokiris likes this.
  11. Kite651

Kite651 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm seeing a lot of talk about refunds and beta test phases and I'm getting an idea.

Could there be a system that measures how much ore you root up and logs it in the save file? That way when saves get wiped, maybe you can keep the base character (appearance, name, etc.) and receive all the ore you mined? That way the stuff that's the hardest to get is right there.

I don't know much about programming. I don't know if that's feasible to do. But I really can't play the first stage over again whenever there's a wipe. I don't have that much time to sit and play games, unfortunately. Maybe someone else can breeze through each sector faster, but I'm looking at spending a day on just getting through the first mini boss fight every time I have to do it.

12. Eviathluc

Eviathluc Tentacle Wrangler

Way too abusable.

Suggestion: Pop-up a warning box about BETA at launch. Make the player character click-through it every time they load the game. Sink head when, ironically, more complaints sail in.

You really ought to question the merit of faithfully responding to someone who called you an asshole at the outset and then proceeded to fanboy.

I had reason to reacquaint myself with forum rules. There's more than opinion on that.

Oh great, something I can singehandedly refute!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  13. ManNether

ManNether Space Hobo

<<i miss my character... ;-;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.