PS4 Controller Support (and other controllers)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Armun, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Armun

Armun Space Hobo

I bought this game not knowing I cant use my PS4 controller, I dont want to go and spend another 40 dollars on a controller just to play this game.

My suggestion would be to include PS4 controllers in the list of controller support. I dont like playing with mouse and keyboard since i have a relatively old laptop with no mouse, and sometimes the mousepad freezes up. It would be nice to be able to play with my PS4 controller like I can with my other steam games.

Hopefully you guys consider this option, it would be nice to see this implemented in the next few patches so I can enjoy this game too.

Thanks

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

I will copy and paste my reply of another topic where someone asked the same thing, but since you mentioned PS4 controller specifically, I will recommend one software in particular... although I never used it (I use PS2 controller instead), but I've heard good things about it: http://ds4windows.com/

I can pipe in on why the game doesn't have this, and probably won't ever have.

There are currently 3 ways to support a controller on a windows game, DirectInput, XInput and manipulating raw USB data.

Obviously, using raw USB data is very impractical, few games ever try that.

This leaves DirectInput and XInput

DirectInput is very hard to use from the programmer side, it is confusing, old, and big...

And XInput outright sucks.

XInput vs DInput:

Only Xbox controllers vs "Plug and Play" as the OP wants.
      Only Xbox limit of controllers (currently 8 I think) vs 127
      Only Xbox limit of buttons and axis (4 face buttons, start, select, R and L buttons, 4 digital directions, 2 analog sticks with 2 axis, and 1 axis shared between L and R triggers) vs almost no practical limit, also you can use whatever you want, including mouse, keyboard, motion controls, pedals, wheels, flight simulator airplane control panels, whatever you can think of...

Clearly, for the player, DInput is much superior, so you might be thinking: Why lots of games (including Stardew) doesn't support it?
      Because Microsoft is making it increasingly hard to do so, for example Stardew used the XNA library, made by Microsoft, the XNA was designed to allow games to be easily made for Windows + Xbox 360, thus one of the XNA "features" is that it uses exclusively XInput, it has no support for DInput, to use DInput you need to do some extra hackery.
      Also DirectX 10 and onwards, defaults to "XInput", to make a DirectX 10, 11 or 12 using DInput is not much simple, thus why many modern games don't support DInput controllers either.

One of the solutions that people came up is use XInput emulators, it is a program that takes some DInput information and "Translates" to XInput, I for example played the game "Dark Souls" on PC this way, using as my controller a third party PS2 controller with PC USB support.

wtfdamnut likes this.
      • Polraudio

Polraudio Void-Bound Voyager

I personally love inputmapper. Its very simple to use and has TONS of features.
        https://inputmapper.com/
        I know it supports PS3 and PS4 controllers. It might support other types as well but i haven't tried.
        IMO inputmapper is far superior to ds4windows.

• Momo-ish

Momo-ish Tentacle Wrangler

I am currently using my ps4 controller right now. All I did was download ds4windows.com, plugged my controller into my computers usb port, and bam! It works so well. There is also a option to use the controller wireless, but I had the hardest time connecting my laptops bluetooth to my controller. I also even plugged my laptop (if you have a HDMI port on your computer screen or tower you can use that too) into my tv to make my experience even better. I hate having to use my mouse and keyboard as well, totally try it out! :D

wtfdamnut likes this.