Modding Help Projectiles in Specific Order? (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by tGMP, Jan 13, 2023.

1. tGMP

tGMP Void-Bound Voyager

Like the title says. I know that weapons can launch projectiles randomly when pooling them, but is there a way to launch them out in a specific order?

2. Rezetrx

Rezetrx Void-Bound Voyager

You can duplicate the gunfire.lua and change a few spots with the following code.

Code:
    function init()
        self.projectileIterator = config.getParameter("projectileIterator", 0)
    end

function GunFire:fireProjectile(projectileType, projectileParams, inaccuracy, firePosition, projectileCount)
        if type(projectileType) == "table" then
            projectileType = projectileType[math.min(#projectileType, self.projectileIterator))]
            self.projectileIterator = math.max(1, self.projectileIterator + 1)
            if self.projectileIterator >=  #projectileType then
                self.projectileIterator = 1
            end
            activeItem.setInstanceValue("projectileIterator", self.projectileIterator)
        end
    end

(The ... stand for the rest in the function. Only change/add the stuff from my example)

Then in your .activeItem you would have to change "scritps" (under "primaryAbility" not the one bellow "muzzleOffset") to the path of your new gunfire.lua (note that you should rename it if its in the same folder as the original gunfire.lua)
    Also change "projectileType" to an array like this
    Code:
    "projectileType" : ["bullet-01", "standardbullet"],

This way, every shot would iterate through the array inthe order they are placed in the array and when it reaches the last one, loops back to the first.
    (Also using InstanceValue, this iterator is preserved when the weapon is stowed)

Disclaimer: The syntax may not be 100% correct as I dont have a way to test it until i get home.

config.getParameter("projectileIterator", 0) -> 0 should be a 1

(note for why a second comment: I cannot edit my previous answer again. If an admin sees this, please add the change as stated in this comment into my previous comment)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2023
  3. tGMP

tGMP Void-Bound Voyager

i'll give er a test when im at my computer. if this works out, you'll definitely get credit for helping with my Gungeon weapon mod (trying to get back into it, at least).
    up til now, i've just been putting meant-to-be-sequent projectiles as random chances. sort of ruined the motivation a bit. that and shop making

it seems i am unable to locate what to replace with

function init()
    self.projectileIterator = config.getParameter("projectileIterator", 0)
    end

unless it's something to straight up add

assuming it was meant to be straight up added, i did so. the results i received were the gun not being able to be aimed or fired.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2023
  4. Rezetrx

Yes, you just have to add that line within the init function. It declares an initial value for that variable throughout the script.
    Like this
    Code:
    function GunFire:init()
        self.weapon:setStance(self.stances.idle)

self.cooldownTimer = self.fireTime
        self.projectileIterator = config.getParameter("projectileIterator", 1)
        self.weapon.onLeaveAbility = function()
            self.weapon:setStance(self.stances.idle)
        end
    end

Yeah I tested it today and there was a small mistake. This should be correct.
    Code:
    if type(projectileType) == "table" then
            local projectileVariants = #projectileType
            projectileType = projectileType[math.min(projectileVariants, self.projectileIterator)]
            self.projectileIterator = math.max(1, self.projectileIterator + 1)
            if self.projectileIterator >= math.max(projectileVariants,1) then
                self.projectileIterator = 1
            end
            activeItem.setInstanceValue("projectileIterator", self.projectileIterator)
        end

Attached is the full modified gunfire.lua I used to check if it works. (.txt extention as .lua is not allowed for upload)

Attached Files:

5. tGMP

tGMP Void-Bound Voyager

alrighty, newest results:
    the gun can be aimed and fires, but only one projectile before locking its position and not shooting.
    it seems to be attempting to go in a sequence, but in an 8 round sequence, it's skipping one of the bullets.
    finally, whenever it does fire, instead of the firing noise i assigned to it, it plays the inventory 'pop' sound instead.
    copied the error code and placed it in a txt attached to this post

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  6. Rezetrx

From th error you are getting, I assume you modified the call of math.random(...) to something like math.random(1, <yourvalue>)
    If that is the case, add the following parts to it
    Code:
    math.random(1, math.max(1, <yourvalue>))

Background info:
    math.random requires the second parameter to be greater or equal to the first.
    math.random(1,1) -> works but always returns 1
    math.random(2,1) -> does not work and returns "Invalid argument #1 to ‘random’ (interval is empty)"
    math.random(1) -> is equal to writing math.random(0, 1)

7. tGMP

tGMP Void-Bound Voyager

actually, all i did was add your lua. changed the name of the file and changed the script in the example weapon to match

so would i just add this line of code to the lua as its own thing, or change another line of code?

8. tGMP

tGMP Void-Bound Voyager

hate to bump, but...

9. Rezetrx

Sorry for being silent for so long.
    I've added the random function stuff to this file and corrected the iterator. For some reason it did not work quite as I remembered it (the previous version caused errors on my end, but not the one you are encoutnering)
    Try out this gunfire.lua

Attached Files:

10. tGMP

tGMP Void-Bound Voyager

youre fine; you likely have a life
    this lua is 99% perfect. the only thing im noticing is there being an occasional collection "pop" noise. 0 clue where that would come from

11. Rezetrx

A pop sound like when you pickup items?
    If so, are you using the weapon while holding it in your cursor (like when moving items around in the inventory)?

12. tGMP

tGMP Void-Bound Voyager

affirmative
    dont think ive heard it happen with weapons before, but in the case that i missed it those numerous times, and that it doesnt happen when actually holding it, then that 99% will become a 100%

13. tGMP

tGMP Void-Bound Voyager

after (finally) testing it as a loadout weapon instead, it works exactly as intended.
    many thanks, and i shall include your name in the credits if/when this mod is released.

before i abandon this thread, you wouldnt happen to know of a way to apply a handgrip to a boomerang would you? just adding it to the activeitem file does nothing.

14. Rezetrx

Im not quite sure what you mean by "handgrip" for a boomerang, could you explain that?

15. tGMP

tGMP Void-Bound Voyager

handGrip is the layering of how a weapon appears in comparison to your character's hand; more noticeable with 1 handed weapons. setting it to "wrap" makes it so the weapon is always in the foremost layer (closer to you irl). "embed" makes your arm foremost. "inside" makes it look like your character is holding the weapon normally. "outside" makes it look like the outside of your hand is holding it.

that all being said, i'll assume you don't know a solution. however, you solved my much harder issue. thank you so very much