1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Project Starlight - Starbound Server Extension - Player Commands, Admins and more! - Open Source!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Opalium, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Alconchloe

Alconchloe Void-Bound Voyager

Although not very well documented we did actually have it in the config file.
    https://github.com/thend20/StarshipServer/blob/master/Config/Config.cs
    Code:
    public bool enableCallback = true;

2. hbrewitt

hbrewitt Tentacle Wrangler

There was an option in the config file specifically to turn this feature off and it was heavily documented in the wiki.

3. You should be aware the callback was one option documented on the wiki to be turn on/off, scripts collecting data of this kind is one of the most common things on the industry of software, the funny part is that many do that in a automated way without any option or info that is collecting your software usage info / pc stats (specially the famous Free Software/Scripts).
    The packet loss issue as they did already debug, it's caused by the parent server when Starrybound is running, because it internally freezes and for a time nobody can connect correctly, disconnect, etc... That happens with us. (and it looks because of Starrybound devs work debuging it they already sent to devs that have it fixed next patch)

All the talk about Trust here, trust there confuses me. Most of the White Hackers of this days, had a past of a Black Hacker doing the most shameless things. If you would not be trusting people with such past, you should not even have an anti-virus.

supernet2 and Alconchloe like this.
  4. VasVadum

VasVadum Cosmic Narwhal

Read;

Packet loss? That's my issue, nothing to do with this project. I just mentioned it because I may not be able to reply or see replies to this for up to many days if my loss gets bad enough again. I need a spectrum analyzer to find out who's doing this to me. :/

Such people probably hacked sites and services for testing their skills and taking down corrupt places. They didn't delete an entire game database, pass out the passwords to everyone, and ruin the game company just because he got a few complaints about his work. They didn't admin everyone on a site, unban every user, and totally destroy another website just because he was mad when they found out he used his position to do illegal spying. This guy is a sociopath, who shouldn't ever be trusted. Sure, I guess Team Avo may not be bad, but they have one bad member that they desperately need to get rid of. I'm sure for just saying this, the sociopath is likely to start hunting me down and trying his hacking skills out on me. I need to go start complicating all my passwords now and change everything just in case.

It's pretty bad when you have someone so bad that if you even say one bad thing about them, they could end up destroying your life just because they can and think it's fun. That type of person should never be trusted no matter what they do later in life. Maybe unless they donated large sums of money to the people they hurt and are really truly sorry but that doesn't seem to be the case nor do I think it would ever happen. It would suck if a programming company hired this guy RL, they'd be at risk and so would their customers.

Bunnky and unleashurgeek like this.
  5. Bunnky

Bunnky Sandwich Man

So should I trust a random convicted theif with my money just because they claim to have changed?

Even if nothing is found, and everyone learns starrybound is safe, it is COMPLETELY understandable to not trust it, and not use it. I don't blame a single person for flaming him, his team, and his project.

With the past events, I'm sure he knew something like this could have happened. So he brought it on himself. His team? Same thing.. They probably shouldn't bring someone into a major project that could pose a threat to the project itself.

I'm sure there was background noise about this before any of us knew, too. When will the discussion end? If you want to use it go ahead, but don't bash people for bashing the program, they have all the right.

Trying to defend the idea of white and black hat hackers is just useless in this situation given all the documentation, videos, and confessions.

6. Maffi

Maffi Astral Cartographer

The thing is, this whole video gaming community consist of too many people who love to download random binaries... It is a real shame that the project died cause of nonsense wannabe technical bullshit. You know what? Its called open source for a reason! You can look at the source and know what it does! Don't flame somebodys project to death, freaking fork it and run it yourself!

Crashdoom and supernet2 like this.
  7. Sethh

Sethh Subatomic Cosmonaut

Actually you CANT read all of whats going on in the open source code....
    Its ridiculously easy to hide things.

8. Everything can be unsafe, not sure random exes or libraries, and i can assure you there are Mods officially uploaded on the Modding site on this forum that contain dangerous code for your Computer (the big majority the own mod creators are not even aware of it).

If you search around the Internets you will find famous white hackers, known for do really mad things, from Anti-Virus Software (one example to be the Kaspersky Lab software lead guy), to sites where i can point Facebook who did hire the hacker that got several times inside Facebook databases, causing damage, deleting pages, accounts, and many other things for the sake of trolling (got to be a pain to FB to manually revert everything he did), still Facebook officially hired him, i find interesting how they did hire one Black Hacker to their Security Team.

I believe trust there is really not the big point that makes you end up hired by the most famous companies, but yes your talent as a hacker. What is odd when we look "hey the guys who were dedicated to exploit our security are the ones who now are responsible for our security!, but if you go deep in searches you will find several cases about this, that companies try to keep silent to Like many said on this thread don't hurt their reputation hiring the guy, but they do it.

supernet2 likes this.
  9. supernet2

supernet2 Existential Complex

Its a waste of breath explaining it to people who dont understand it. The worse, or more "perfected" your background is as being a blackhat hacker turned white, the better your resume comes off, and the more IT security teams that want you, the more big named companies think "if we hire them first we know we got someone whos a expert in this stuff who can strengthen our platform, our security and stop others". People like those who dont understand is that its the hackers that make the big changes, that tend to push technology past its boundaries just for the fun of it, but in doing so open up a gateway to a even better platform, a better product, and a more robust security system. They'll never understand it. Let em crap bricks over the little things zik and his crew have done. I've seen worse, and they are just "the beginning". This game hasn't even been heavily targeted by the black hat hacker community nor has it even remotely been on the radar beyond anonymous acknowledgement and watching of things of their interest.

People fear what they cannot understand. People fear what they cannot comprehend, people fear what is unknown. Their is nothing to fear but fear itself.

But heres my favorite part of reading all of these folks going banana's about this issue. How many of these fools would continue to use and have 0 idea or knowledge of this guys or anyones background had say.. Tyi and anyone else who brought any hint of thought across what this guys done? How many people would of even remotely cared to know until this "turning point"? Im pretty sure very little to no-one.

Not firing off at you Bacon if anything strengthening that people will be idiots, and will never understand the level of complexity or the teams in the hacker society, those who do good, those who do bad, and those that just do it for the fun and entertainment value. Most people do it to gain knowledge and bragging rights.

End point.. Just cannot take the stupid out of a stupid person, you can only give them the answers and hope they'll make non-stupid decisions afterwards.

Love to see these jokers who cry about how big of a threat this guy is, and then see how many will come out and openly admit they had no idea about his background until after Tyis mentioning. I had a clue myself but then again i didn't see any malice. What i seen was a person whos trying to do good, and make better of their work and knowledge for the fun of it, possibly to open up a extra business opportunity down the line with the knowledge they gained about this about being a possible server host for them. Thats what i seen, if anything someone who wanted to just learn more for beneficial gains and understanding.

You know Microsoft, IBM, and Apple have their hacker issues, and they have their own "best of the best" hackers, hell they all do joint projects together behind the scenes (not really behind..) but more so foreground promoting young youths and their intellect to learn about hacking, to take it to the next level, and then to perfect methods to stop hackers in their tracks. Bet most of you clowns didnt know that huh?

Bacon and Alconchloe like this.
  10. VasVadum

VasVadum Cosmic Narwhal

Yes, he totally destroyed a company he worked with to get better job opportunities and then totally destroyed another one after he was found to be illegally spying on the users of the site. Purely out of spite destroying both sites, totally to "do god" and "make better their work and knowledge" to open up business opportunities. Cause all businesses want a psychopath who may destroy them if someone says one bad thing about him or if he's caught programming in back door access into their tools that they sell to people.

Would you hire someone who could and would hide back doors into your program without you knowing about it? Would you want to sit there reading the entire program line by line to make sure there's no bad code and still miss something?

This guy isn't just some guy who hacked the FBI to prove he could do it, this guy is someone who was doing bad things for fun and because he has the mind of a child. Reading people's private messages on f-list, that's like going through someone else's mail box and seeing what you can dig up about them. You may as well have hacked into their email accounts and been reading that. Destroying some pokemon online game because people gave you a few bad reviews on your code? Well that proves you shouldn't ever be a programmer in a team of people ever. You'll destroy the entire project just because someone says one bad thing about it.

11. Sethh

Sethh Subatomic Cosmonaut

btw is this still functional?

12. Crashdoom

Crashdoom Pangalactic Porcupine

Call me paranoid but if you run a project, regardless of if you hire a saint, a college kid or anyone else for that matter, especially online, you have an obligation to check your code. You have an obligation to read every function and every line, right down to the variables and what they're named. Anyone in a managerial position in software development would be able to tell you that the human mind is weak and easily overcome with reckless decisions, choices and emotions; like it or not, that's human nature.

Someone you think could be good could turn out to be selling your information behind your back, or someone you thought could be bad could be giving everything he gets to charity. I made a stupid decision thinking that giving something that could help Chucklefish and help the community would be a great asset and a huge step forward for server owners and players alike. However, I see my mistake in using someone with a history, a very horrible history of terrible acts online and apologize to the community for that. On the other hand, the fact that someone in the community sought right to destroy this is inconceivable and a damaging step back knowing full well that no one would use the code or any of the research we had spent months conducting.

Again, I don't condone his actions, nor do I blame Chucklefish for removing the project from the official website because it was the correct course of action based on the community's response to the situation. The sheer fact that people accused us, more so myself and the other innocent contributors, of spite and malice towards Starbound is outright underhanded and disgraceful since a VERY small minority of people decided to actually step back and take a look at the accusations they were throwing around. No one thought to check the code, no one thought to actually do research.

I'll go park my car in a library because no one will notice it there. When you make a project open-source, you get a lot more people than your intended audience watching you, you have the open-source community hovering constantly even if it's just subtly. Transparency is important in an open-source project and that's something that didn't happen, however, in saying there was no malicious code in the binaries or open-source project we were being perfectly blunt about that.

Yes, there was a callback script, I held our second release to finish it because I wanted the information to do statistical analysis on the stability of our builds and to frankly see how many users could be on a server before it started lagging up or crashed. We fed back a lot of issues and bugs we encountered back to Chucklefish in order to get them fixed to better the servers and the community. I apologize for not being more transparent about that particular issue, however under UK law anyone could freely ask us for what information we held on them and we would provide a file of everything we had that matched. Sadly, when you start a project over Christmas you tend to have family obligations that prevent you sitting at a computer all day and working despite a lot of people thinking that's all I do.

If I was to be honest, I'm a man that likes to make sure people are happy, ask any of the server admins we had contact with; I regularly talked to them and when they had an issue, we would go out of our way to try and fix it - It's an open-source project and we didn't really need to go as far as we did to help people, we could have just said, "give us an error log and we'll fix it, we don't debug it for you" but I'm not a horrible person.

---
    N.B.: As far as Starlight is concerned, I haven't heard from Opalium in weeks and I'm beginning to worry myself. So if anyone hears anything, please let me know. He's the only one who can comment on if Starlight will come back or not, so most of this discussion is meaningless without him.

Bacon, Aviakio, supernet2 and 3 others like this.
  13. supernet2

I dont dabble in the past. I Suppose some people cannot move forward and will always hold a grudge no matter the odds. As for me i would in a heart beat.. Assuming i know their background and fully researched the persons past time history. Everyone in a team is a invaluable asset, especially those with a wealth of knowledge. To disregard someones knowledge because of past time mistakes, or actions is to basically made it harder on yourself to understand something. If your that paranoid thats fine. Nothing wrong with being overly cautious. But let me ask you this
    how much did you know of this zik before you even began to go bananas? How much did you know before any announcements were made? I bet you were one of the folks who were "clueless" until it was brought to light. I know i wasn't completely clueless but i didn't care for their past history. I cared about the here and now. Im pretty sure thanks to Tyi thats where you got 90% of your information.

As for his actions i cant say i support them. It happens, some people just have a crappy attitude and a very bad temper. No worse than insulting a person in the bar, and that person pummeling your face into the ground because you had the nerve to instigate such a argument, more so their level of instant elevation of argument to violence.
    You lost the source code for the recent builds (?) i think i might have a copy i'd halfta look around on my pc as its buried under tons of other random stuff i have. Is that what your looking for?

14. LainSzvahl

LainSzvahl Aquatic Astronaut

its still being worked on by thend20 right? i liked the project was a good wrapper and who commands are always nice
    etc. it was a legit project even though everyone else screamed wolf, over something in the past. im going to try and compile
    that one and see if it still works right.

supernet2 likes this.
  15. VasVadum

VasVadum Cosmic Narwhal

Aren't you and Zidonuke the same person? Or at least living in the same household or same location? How can we trust you either when you both have shared the same IP address?

Checking the code is useless if you included your own pre-compiled exe files. You could have compiled a slightly different version with bits of extra code and given the source files hoping no one would re-compile to find any variances between the 2 files. I haven't used the project, but I was going to before I heard the news.

How much did I know? Nothing. Though I do recall the great hacking of f-list and when I saw the post again on f-list and the name of the person who did it, I then recalled who Zidonuke was. So I do know he's a bad person. You can't accidentally read people's notes for the fun of spying. You can't claim he made a mistake in reading those personal notes. It's like saying a guy who goes up to people's mailboxes to steal their mail should be trusted a year or 2 later because he MIGHT have changed. Would you trust me a year later if I went and stole all your mail every day and sold your information to others and whatever else I could do with your mail? Would you trust someone who gives out a site's entire database of passwords simply because someone said he did something wrong in his code?
    "Hey, I think this should be blue instead of purple" -THAT'S IT *hack/destroy site, give database containing 500 million passwords away for free, delete all data remaining after*-
    Cause that's totally a person I want to trust. I will never trust someone who's gone through my personal messages without my permission. Not even the site owner of f-list does that. He could if he wanted, but he doesn't.

Anyhow. To your bar fight thing, getting punched in the face because you insulted someone in a bar is far less bad, than destroying a site and costing someone several hundred thousand dollars or more in damages and repairs (the pokemon online game) and costing others lots of money for damage repairs to their sites because of someone with a bad temper. I don't see that he did anything recently, but I won't download anything made by him or his accomplice Crashdoom or even anyone named "Doridian" because I believe all 3 could be the same person after what I've read. I think people should think about their actions before they do them. Not do them then expect people to treat them nicely later in life "because they've changed". If you think destroying a site because you're angry is fun and good now, then you can get away with it later in life simply because you're a changed man, you're dead wrong.

16. Crashdoom

Crashdoom Pangalactic Porcupine

Chucklefish were deliberately vague on that, because legally they aren't allowed to insinuate anything based on the privacy policy and UK Data Protection Act 1998. Anything that is personally identifiable to me is protected. However the IP, which mollygos provided to me, matched during our registration when I logged on from my old US dedicated server provided with DataShack LLC, this link was not concurrent at any other time as I live in the United Kingdom, while Zidonuke is a US Citizen resident there.

I also stated that the code is .net, this is easily decompilable and can be checked against the repository through direct file matching and could be done by any used with little to no experience. See Jetbrains Dotpeek software available for free at http://jetbrains.com/decompiler.

This misconception has been rebutted on several different websites where users have provoked site administration into banning myself and Doridian for this very reason. As I've said before, I don't feel comfortable giving my personal information or identification to members of the public. There is one IP link which at the time of it being disclosed by Tiyuri, I was unaware of as none of the Chucklefish staff would return my requests for comment.

Riddle me this, if I really was Zidonuke and Doridian and whomever else the community believes I am, all of these cases are theoretical to make my point:
    1. Why would I go through the trouble of setting up such elaborate tricks if I was just going to use all of those identities at the same time?
    2. Again, if I was to go through that trouble, knowing the history of one of those alts, why would I use that alt and a clean alt on the same project?
    3. Each of the people mentioned to be "the same person" have individual Steam accounts, why would I bother going to the trouble of setting up those accounts, buying the same games to a total combined account value of, according to http://mysteamgauge.com/, a value in excess of $4,000 USD?

Alconchloe and supernet2 like this.
  17. supernet2

Well at least you were honest in saying nothing.

Clearly you must not trust the NSA, because every action you take, every breath you make, someones watching you. I partake you dont know about how microsoft does data collection with their built in backdoors and monitoring, including even on company wide policies in regards to rules and regulations that can still be used for wrong even if set in place for a just reason? I partake you hate anyone who has access, has done, or remotely will beable to do damage, those who have done some or minor Hey wild guess that you think on a forum that your "private" messages are truly private. Dude, your joking right? You really think its truly private? If the admins and moderators if given access decide they want to investigate your conversations via inbox, THEY Can, will they admit to it? OF course not, probably because people like you would flip crap and drag their name through the mud. Dude for real. Think about it.

You also forget i didn't say i support actions of such magnitudes but what i will say is i can understand the severe aggravation. Think about it, dont you just hate when someone drags your name in the dirt mocks you on a constant basis, and thinks its funny? They think its okay to do it even though its not? Well thats a entirely different can of worms but think for a minute. How pissed would you be, would you just roll over and accept it, how would you go about it? Did you also notice not much was mentioned about the good he has done in the past to make amends or even resolve conflicts (if any?) You ever think people only report the horrendous things people do, but they dont go about reporting the good things people do? Good deeds go unnoticed all the time, but the bad ones always get acknowledged almost immediately.

I really wonder how oblivious to the reality of the world you are about how truly "private" your information is. How truly secure your content is, and how truly safe you really are, online or not. Theirs so much behind the scene things the government does, companies, do and well, basically what everyone does that you cannot begin to fathom the level of security threats their are. You dont need to trust him, never said you did. You continue to argue the point that he is a horrible person. Perhaps to you. But then let me ask this, what do you think of the government, of the people who run this forums, those who have direct access to seeing our ips, public, proxied, and personal, and even Tyis statement of doing a ip match up not proving the truth in the matter, and even further alienating someone? How can you trust TYI someone who points out something with out 100% backing factual proof behind the idea of whats going on?

You realize when you login or use any form of network service your ip is broadcasted, your location and certain geographical information is broadcasted depending on what level of security you implement to hide behind proxies, ftp spaces, multiple vps's behind multiple proxies, and various sources like that? Just saying...

Edit:

Lets not forget how bad datamining is, how bad advertising is, and how most "freeware" now has embedded adware, malware, and self "evolving" cookies that evolve into malware, and then go up to the next level, trojan, and keyloggers. How much do you know that ad's "steal" information under the guise of "targeting a user basis" involving theft of your location, your ip, going as far as to also get involved your own home address, or past time addresses just to spam their crappy content, useless ads, and things. Nevermind if you like it or not, im pretty sure you didn't give some random yahoo's the OKay to market, and sell your personal information for their own self gains. Who do you really trust? Someone who makes their content obvious and open source, or someone who steals information from behind the scenes, with out your consent, and continues to make profit off of your personal data with out giving you a "fair share" of your profit from your personal data being sold.

Oh and if your THAT paranoid, feel free to stop using anything that involves technology. Stop it at the source. Give nothing up this means hide in a hole, away from technology away from society so that you cannot be found, and nothing of yours can be sold or stolen from you*.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    Crashdoom and Alconchloe like this.
  18. VasVadum

VasVadum Cosmic Narwhal

1 & 2 - Don't know, some people have done it before though.
    3. You can make easy free steam money via market bots, I seen people use this to make thousands in the first weeks of steam trading card release and then buy every single item available on the entire steam store and then have 10k+ more items with a flow rate of thousands of items per day. So using this as proof isn't exactly proof. Sure it's unlikely, but not 100% proof of innocence.

If people thought you were Zidonuke before, then suddenly (without your knowledge apparently) your IPs have come up as matching out of the 4,294,967,296 possible IPs that exist out there, I feel like that may just be too much of a coincidence.

I don't care what the NSA does, they aren't going to destroy my life just because I say they suck.

If he hadn't done those severely terrible things to begin with, his name wouldn't have been dragged through the mud. Don't do stupidly arrogant destructive evil things and people won't treat you like you're evil for the rest of your life.

I haven't seen him do anything wrong other than not very well documenting the data collection in his program. Because of his past though, I'd rather not trust him by putting his software on my machine.

An IP address is barely usable. My IP shows up as if I'm in some state half way across the USA when I look up my own IP. I doubt there is much information you can get from an IP address. I don't hide my IP at all, cause I really don't care. If it was as easy as snapping your fingers to find someone via IP address, there'd be a lot more assassinations in this world.

I'm going to ignore the rest, because you're just throwing stuff out there that all big companies are bad. I trust Google, even though they suck sometimes and piss me off. They wouldn't give a rats ass about any email I ever send or receive. They don't even have enough man power to read every message everyone ever sends throughout the world, even with an army of bots to filter out useless junk. I don't care what Microsoft does, I've seen them holding some of my personal information inside my XBOX Live profile even, stuff I never gave to them, but things that happened over my wireless network. An entire email my mother had sent that was work related was somehow stuck inside my XBOX Live profile. That's not going to stop me from using XBOX or Microsoft products. You know why? Because they are highly unlikely to ever hurt me, no matter how much I say they suck. You know how I know? I say they suck ALL THE TIME. Have even told them directly that they suck. Use the term Microsuck constantly when I talk about them with friends over Skype, which belongs to Microsuck. I'm pretty sure the NSA can see everything I do, but obviously they don't give a rats ass either, because I've said and done plenty of things that may have made the NSA jump at the opertunity to nab someone. Though they could have expected me to be making it up as a test to see if they were really watching me. I just highly doubt they care what I do, unless I somehow contacted some terrorist and organized some big attack on like the president or something. In which case I should damn well hope they do something.

NSA, Google, Microsoft, everything else I currently trust, will not harm me simply because I say "you suck" nor will they do it for kicks and giggles. Zidonuke harmed people and companies and sites, for fun, kicks and giggles, or because they criticized his work, or insulted him.
    Griefing on Minecraft? That's destroying hours or more of people's hard work. Embedding a back door so you can delete people's backups and destroy the server at the same time and make life hell for people? Microsoft wouldn't do that. Google wouldn't do that. NSA wouldn't do that. Zidonuke did.
    Deleting a website because people didn't like something he did in the way he did it? Criticism, insults, whatever. Microsoft wouldn't delete a website they helped develop simply because someone said they would rather a dark blue over a bright green. Or because someone said they sucked at coding it. They'd likely just quit the project, remove their own work maybe, and leave it up to them to fix it themselves, and that's an AT MOST. Google? Probably the same. Zidonuke? He nuked the project. Deleted the database, gave the passwords and usernames out to the internet risking hundreds of thousands of people's accounts on other sites or more than that, depending on the site's popularity at the time. He deleted the entire project so that they'd need to restore a backup when they managed to get back online. Caused such an issue that they likely permanently lost half their user base. Making people to afraid to go back.
    Destroying another site simply because someone told him he wasn't allowed to read people's private messages anymore? What if I told him not to go through my mailbox anymore? Does that mean he should drop a massive bomb on my house?

Like I said. Big corporations you've mentioned spying on me and such, they aren't going to use the information they collect to hurt me for shits and giggles, they aren't going to use it to hurt me if I say they suck. They likely, won't ever use it.
    Zidonuke has been proven to do awful things to people for fun (griefing on games and destroying sites) as well as retaliate to people who criticize his work or insult him by destroying their projects if he has the access to do so.

Don't try to change this into "Zidonuke isn't a bad guy for doing those terrible things, because these big companies do it too" because that won't work. Don't want to be treated like a demon? Don't do extremely bad things. Problem solved. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that he has changed. So long as I don't see any new news of him destroying more sites and doing bad things at least. If enough time passes and he's proven he isn't going to hurt people for fun anymore, then maybe I will use mods and programs he makes, but I seriously doubt I would get that much trust in someone with such a history. People tend to fall back into old ways often enough.

My preference tells me not to trust the person who destroyed a site I like to visit often, simply because he was caught doing bad things. Because of such, I'm used to deleting all my private messages on most sites like furaffinity and f-list. Making sure I keep no history and thus if a site is hacked or something like FA was, my notes don't end up publicly available to everyone.

supernet2 likes this.
  19. supernet2

I think your missing the complete point of what im saying. If your gonna target zik, why not also target everyone else who's done thousands of times worse than what he's done with a larger user basis. My favorite part is how you continually dodge this, and try to use logic that says "its fine that companies do this because im not afraid of them because i never seen what they really have done" ever heard of cover ups? I suppose... your afraid of zik because of his past time actions, but im more surprised your not afraid of the bigger entities out their that have done things so much worse than this one individual user.

My end argument was pretty funny actually. If your so terrified of this one person, why arn't you afraid of them all? Does it make sense? Or are you specifically targeting one person because of what you read on the internet? Oh ho ho, so when someone puts me on wikipedia because as we all know, wikipedia is the truth and search engines tell no lies, and it states im super hacker or something else, your gonna believe it? haha, i love your logic. So let me ask this then, why arn't you terrified of big name entities if your scared of small time folks who do way lesser damage? So all it takes is if someone like say microsoft or some random targets you to be uber scared, terrified etc.. or because of wikipedia or whatever free source news feed that tells you "the truth" that you'd be so terrified of them? Ever notice that cycle? That people only fear what they cannot control, and those who are arrogant and think "never gonna happen to me" tend to be the ones who receive sucky end results the hardest? I just cannot help but laugh. I hate to come off like a super douche but seriously. It doesn't make sense to be afraid of one individual but not afraid of a larger entity. I just cannot wrap my mind around it. Especially considering assuming your smart enough to decompile, and reverse engineer someones work, to really look into the source code and truth behind it that you yourself can come across your own answer based on their current work. I mean.. im assuming you have some level of smarts to reverse engineer programs because of how aggressively your assuming his work is "super horrific". I still cannot help but laugh, i mean, how many people only started panicking because they believe what they read on the internet? How many people are ruled by fear? If your not ruled by fear, then why are you so aggressively pushing that he isn't super horrible? How do you know he wasn't working on this project just for the fun of it or to polish his knowledge in the IT field? I mean if you dont give someone a chance to change, how the heck are they suppose to change for better or for worse if you dont even give them a chance?

I suppose i can understand where your coming from being unable to reverse engineer, unable to understand or learn code source, or even remotely begin to take apart something and identify what is and isn't safe based on your own knowledge relying solely on automated tools like antivirus software. I suppose i can take into account that you and many others who fail to understand or just are afraid to trust wont. I can also understand that thinking. I just thought it funny.

My favorite part though is your not afraid to speak your mind. I mean im pretty sure 90% of the community is to afraid to post to begin with... and i hate to be a drag but... data is continually backed up, and kept on caches, including googles cache servers, and various search engines servers, theirs tons of exploits to still review your past time commentary on "private" or secured forums depending on if they use a high level of encryption or not, and various other things that go into effect. Im assuming those sites dont even support SSL, or at least have the module built into the user aspect other than for financial transactions.

The best way to keep your net presence minimum is to not make your presence known period. Dont even do it. The only way to "truly" safeguard yourself from network attacks is to not use a network period, keep your systems isolated to offsite off network systems, or use many many vps and firewall systems. Even then having multiple front end servers that stop intrusion at the source, and then the last final back end server being the last firewall before reaching your system. Chances are nobodys gonna get that far, unless your systems not ready to auto cut off based off anomalies and various factors that would trigger network severance and level of compromise.

Edit:

Also for what he did... alot of the damage can easily be rolled back if you utilize drobo units for the backup integration, and isolating the controller unit to only open up access at randomly timed intervals for backups and then cutting itself off from the network only able to be initiating a connection from the offsite system to the networked system and after backup severe this networked link, only enabling the system behind this firewall to secure it.

Their are so many safety nets with the new age of technology, just... it really boils down to time, money and resources to invest into this type of fail safe technology to help yourself, or technical expertise to create your own security systems to stop someone in their tracks or at the very least by your servers the time needed to pickup on the intrusion, and then perform a network blackout.

Alot of sites utilize fail safes like this. How many people can invest in it... i cannot say i dont think everyones rich or a super tech guru.

20. LainSzvahl

LainSzvahl Aquatic Astronaut

personally all this fighting is straight out pointless and a show of epeen. Whats been done in the past is exactly that, in the past,
    while the past may affect he present, it cannot be changed, so move on and continue.

Dont like the project, then help support some other project thats similar on Starbound rather then spewing intellectual garbage
    in a thread. call me old fashioned but thats exactly what i am Old. tomany folks young and old just like to be argumentive.

supernet2 and Bunnky like this.