Building/Ship Project Castle Fixer-Upper

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by Xylia, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So I came across two towers right next to each other on a Lush World, and I've always wanted a nice homey castle, but I could never really figure out how to build one and get it to actually look right.

I'm not looking for anything real huge, just something simple to call a home.

Well, the idea hit me... there's two towers here, right near each other with a reasonable amount of space in-between... why not just renovate the two towers, and then build the rest of the castle in-between the towers?

Well, so far....

[​IMG]

You can see the Tower on the Right has already been started, I've gotten two of the four floors fixed up. I removed the rubble and plant matter and replaced it with the stone blocks/ornate wood that it had.

Since I am also playing FU, I might also put a high-tech laboratory underneath the castle, hidden away from people on the surface.

This is going to be a bit of a casual project (as you can see I don't even have FTL yet so this might be a bit slow at first), so I'll update when I get more stuff done on it.

Also, looking at the screenshots, I will probably have to "lift" the tower on the left up a bit to match the elevation of the one on the right... shouldn't be that hard to do, once I get a couple MM upgrades (mining out those stone blocks takes forever!).

The Squid, TheFloranChef and Arra like this.
  2. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Its a quaint idea for a quaint build project, but when I opened this I was thinking more of fixing up a Hylotl or Glitch Castle and moving in. What I was hoping for in one of my next characters, possibly a HC char, is to find a Penal Colony early and turn it into a Colony Colony. It makes sense as those prisons have lots of individual rooms.

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Only thing, though, is I've never seen a ruined Glitch castle... every castle I've seen is populated lol.

'cept for their sewer abodes... but I wasn't really interested in that kinda thing and those usually only spawn on volcanic planets anyways.

But anyways, as an update...

[​IMG]

I lifted the left tower, and made the bottom floor.... but now I need to find a glitch castle and take a few screenshots for ideas of how they're made.

The only thing is this might be too small to really make much of a castle out of... I might need to move that right tower over a bit. I might try downloading that mod that can move whole chunks of stuff, lol.

The Squid likes this.
  4. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Don't make a castle, make a keep!

A keep is just a fortified home, just do that.

[​IMG]

The Squid likes this.
  5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So I took a screenshot of a glitch castle, but now I need a pixel printer I think before I go any further... not entirely sure yet. Might piddle with it here in a bit. Right now I'm trying to get some crew, lol.

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Okay so I have it pretty much finished except for furniture (I don't have a pixel printer yet in this playthrough):

[​IMG]

Here, I'm standing where the throne room will eventually be.

[​IMG]

And here's the middle of the place.

I thought it turned out rather well, it just needs doors, furniture, etc. It's gonna be a mini glitch castle, lol. A keep like someone said above. I need get the lattice in the windows, get a pixel printer and start making some furniture.

I'm also going to add a dungeon, probably the bottom-left room is going to have stairs down into the dungeon and I'm gonna use one of those fake walls which will be a secret passage into my ultra-high tech laboratory where all of my FU stuff is gonna be.

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So, I finished the dungeon and its two hidden rooms (but I don't have the hidden doors yet because of no pixel printer):

[​IMG]

Looks like a normal dungeon... or will when I put the secret doors in on the right.

[​IMG]

Where I'm standing is going to be a nice golden treasure chest, and maybe a barrel of gold or two. And to the right of me, will be another secret door. If anybody found the first secret room, they might not be expecting there to be another one! The second secret room is going to have a rail elevator that goes down into my laboratory.

[​IMG]

This is me testing light/visibility of the secret rooms; I stuck some dirt in there to simulate the secret doors being closed and as predicted, you can't even see the rooms, lol.

[​IMG]

And even when the secret door is open, the far wall will be so hard to see, that it would be unlikely that someone would notice that it isn't a real wall.

Now to find the smallest, hardest-to-see switches for these two secret doors, lol.

But anyways, the build is pretty much done until I progress far enough to get my pixel printer and/or building materials to build my lab with.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So I got it pretty much done, not sure I can really add anything to this, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know the dungeon looks a little sparse, but other than throwing a ball-n-chain and a few more shackles... not sure what else to add there lol.

Sadly, the tower on the right refuses to work with colony deeds, and the only difference I can see between the two towers is that one has 5 doors instead of 4.

creeper22, The Squid, Alsanu and 3 others like this.
  9. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Now find a ruined Hylotl castle and fix that up.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Meh, someone already did that, and there's not all that much point to doing that -- ruined Hylotl Castles are already 90% done and decorated when you find them, just gotta remove the plant matter and replace that with what was supposed to be there.

What I did here was take two towers, and added a keep in-between them that was inspired by other glitch castles -- building a completely new building from scratch ('cept for the remains of the two towers).

The Squid likes this.
  11. Musuko

Musuko Orbital Explorer

We wanna see the secret laboratory!

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Oh, right, lol... I forgot to SS that. I'll do that soon, it's getting near complete anyways.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Okay, so here's the lab (it is like 90% done):

[​IMG]

Here, we have the elevator in the hidden room beyond the hidden room in the dungeon. For some reason, I don't know why, hidden switches work differently when you place them, than when you find them in the world so I had to instead use shackle switches. When closed, you can't see the room beyond (though with full zoom out, you can see the white area in this screenshot from the dungeon, but meh. Technicality.

[​IMG]

Main area of the lab. The bottom-right room looks a bit empty because I was not sure how much room I needed to put all the vanilla machines. I'm still missing a few so I'll fill a bit of that in. Also, I might space the machines out a bit more once I get them all made.

[​IMG]

And here's my expandable greenhouse, all I gotta do is keep adding more rows of hydroponic tubes (those white blocks I have tilled -- they do not require watering) to expand upon the greenhouse. Not sure how many I will end up needing for all of my farming needs.

The one thing I forgot to SS, is right at the bottom of the elevator shaft, there's a teleporter and a small little room to the left where I could add more tenants or perhaps my own NPC-free bedroom if I ever make one.

creeper22 and TheFloranChef like this.