Modding Discussion Procedurally Generated Assets: Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by AardvarkBanana, Aug 10, 2016.

1. AardvarkBanana

AardvarkBanana Void-Bound Voyager

Is it possible to generate assets on the fly?
    • Are all assets and configurations parsed only at launch, or can this be refreshed automatically mid-game?
    • Are there library functions available that can write files to the assets (or mods) directory structure?
      • If not, then how do the custom signs work?
    • Are there library functions that can call other applications or scripts sitting in the game directory structure?
      • (I realize this would be extraordinarily insecure, but it would certainly not be without its uses.)
    If it is strictly impossible to build completely new assets mid- or in-game, then knowing now will allow me to put my focus on developing tools that will allow for quicker mod asset generation, rather than a single mod in-game asset generation engine. Thanks, y'all.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I suppose you could do something with Lua, but writing files, not a chance. I doubt you will be able to do what you are looking for here.

3. AardvarkBanana

AardvarkBanana Void-Bound Voyager

I figured as much. Then it would be more prudent to create tools for asset generation outside-of-game. Still, though, how does that sign-making shop work? Is there a special file for that that just increases in size with every new sign you create?

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I believe its internals are hard coded. Could be wrong.

Either way, those signs are not saved as their own object files.

5. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

I've found that I can save+quit, tweak assets and save them, and then see their effects show up when I reload the character, so it's definitely not just at game launch.
    It saves so much time over having to relaunch the game every time I tweak a little value.

As for creating ingame functions that actively write new information to the raw assets, I can't say. You could always look at how the game utilizes savegame functions and see how that can be modified, but it seems like an idea that might be pushing the game's boundaries a bit.