Modding Discussion Procedural Generation: new categories possible?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ludovic, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

This is more of an inquiry about the limits vs potential of procedural generation.... but for example even if it known existing categories of procedural items can be modded with new parts and all, is it possible to mod new categories of procedural items into the game?

For example, we now have asssault and sniper rifles heavy 2handed weapons categories.

But would it be possible for a modder to create an entirely new category of procedural items such as "elemental throwers" that may basically be based on existing flamethrowers but made up of procedural parts and "spraying" a andomly selected element?
    (so you could have tesla-coil-like lightning spewer next to a poison gas sprayer ontop of more conventional flamethrowers, all with varieties of fitting alt attacks)

Or are categories as-is hard coded and limited to existing families of weapons? (meaning that something like the basic flamethrower attack would have to be made into an alternate main or alt attack of an existing weapon family)

2. Segenam

Segenam Phantasmal Quasar

I think I answered this on your other post but yes yes it is entirely possible... You can even make procedural rubber duckie grenades if you wanted that shoot particle effects and follow the cursor that have there own unique system of working cause why not?

Once I release my short spear mod people will be able to use that to basis their own weapon categories in the game.

3. v6ooo

v6ooo Space Kumquat

I'm dead certain I've read the exact same post before or am I experiencing déjà vu...

4. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

I might have asked a similar question as a side/unrelated question in another thread at some point.

If I did unconsciously duplicate stuff though, then have my apologies ^^;

Edit: Loking at main forums thread... holy shit, I actually did. Any admin watching this so they can delete this surplus thread or merge it with the other here: http://community.playstarbound.com/...ate-new-procedural-weapons-categories.116926/ ?

That's what I get for being such a bird brain ^^;

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016