1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Preorder Price Vote!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Irrelephant, Mar 26, 2013.

?

What is a fair preorder price?

1. 5.00 Dollar 3.89 Euro

24 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. 7.00 Dollar 5.44 Euro

12 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. 10.00 Dollar 7.78 Euro

171 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. 12.00 Dollar 9.33 Euro

121 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. 15.00 Dollar 11.66 Euro

397 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. 20.00 Dollar 15.55 Euro

125 vote(s)
    14.0%
  7. 35.00 Dollar 27.22 Euro

10 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. 50.00 Dollar 38.88 Euro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 60.00 Dollar 46.66 Euro

23 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. No preorder

9 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. aangthenomad

aangthenomad Void-Bound Voyager

i have 2 opinions here

a.) i would pay any price under like 300$ for starbound. that is not an exagerration.

b.) i dont see why pre-orders are supposed to be cheaper. if your such a big fan of the game that you cant wait to order it, why would you want to give the devs LESS money?

that being said, i kind of always assumed Starbound would end up being 20$, just feels right. Again, i would pay almost any amount of money for this game.

Rekalty and Luna like this.
  2. Tester383

Tester383 Zero Gravity Genie

A way to look at it, is that he is selling an unfinished product. Therefore sell it at a reduced cost.
    But I am in the same boat as you, I don't want to give the Devs less money.

3. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

Preorders are generally cheaper and include other bonuses in order to:
    1. encourage customers to buy the game early rather than waiting for reviews or a sale
    2. provide additional income to finish the game (which is the case for Starbound)

The discount is a nice little bonus for the customers, though you have to be careful to research what you're buying when it's something that is not yet released. I wouldn't worry about giving Chucklefish less money though. A reasonable preorder discount should actually provide them with more money through increased sales than having no discount.

kagenn, Luna and Irrelephant like this.
  4. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

Boring on Single Player??? Not even close! Although playing with friends is a huge draw for me, I intend on playing a LOT by myself and don't intend on being bored for one single moment.

5. Irrelephant

Irrelephant Big Damn Hero

This game definitely does not seem like it would be boring in any way.

6. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

I would like to, just for the heck of it, point out the magic of digital distribution and forms of replicatable art in general, since it's rather relevant to the quoted part here.

What a lot of people don't realize is that when you're selling a material that has variable value and low to virtually non-existent overhead for production, profits are often higher at a lower price point, due to the fact that after you make back research and development costs everything becomes nearly pure profit.

A good part of the game industry has actually pulled wool over the modern gamer's eyes over the past years: You don't need large, expensive development teams to produce good games, and since cartridge based game systems have largely gone the way of the dodo actual production costs of a physical copy of a game have gone way the heck down. It doesn't cost 60 bucks to print a DvD and stick it in a fancy box, and it costs even less when what you're dealing with is a bunch of 1s and 0s transmitted over the internet.

The end result of this is the reason you can get games during Steam sales that were once 50 or more bucks for less than 10. I actually picked up VALVe's own Left 4 Dead 2 for something like 5 bucks. Once the development costs have been more than made back, you can drop the price drastically and still profit, even if the middle man is chopping off a percentage of your earnings. This is even more true when you're dealing with developers who don't have to put up with greedy publishers gouging them.

Zailiner and Luna like this.
  7. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

Didn't Tiy say they would try and price it similar to Terraria?

8. Krejgo

Krejgo Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry, but for me it's gonna be boring playing this game alone. Playing with friends is always better FOR ME than playing singleplayer

9. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

To each his own.

10. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Terraria was about 10€, so anything around 20€ would be acceptable for this one, as is way deeper than Terraria.

Zailiner likes this.
  11. Shahab

Shahab Scruffy Nerf-Herder

who the hell said 60 dollars?:whaaat:

12. Irrelephant

Irrelephant Big Damn Hero

The votes are slowing down :(

13. Rhus Ruise

Rhus Ruise Orbital Explorer

I don't think pre-order is necessary. Simpler just to buy the game when it comes out. I would be fine with paying $15-30 though.

Edit: After reading the reason for pre-order, okay, I can understand that.

14. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Whatever full price is, I'd gladly fork that over for the preorder. This game is going to be awesome. :p

15. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

I'd pay 20-25 euros for starbound. It's half of what i'd have to pay for a AAA title, and in many ways Starbound will be better than some of those.
    So I consider 20-25 euros a very good deal.

16. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

All the "throw your money on the screen" people voting so high...
    I think 10 dollar is a good price, it is a PREORDER after all. They can raise the price later to 15.

Krejgo likes this.
  17. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

The pre-order comes with earlier access... If you'd follow the trends other companies use, then Starbound would be more expensive at pre-order. :D

18. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

I'm thinkin $10 for pre-order and $15 for full.

Krejgo likes this.
  19. RnAoDm

RnAoDm Void-Bound Voyager

If i get as much gameplay out of this as i did terr.... another game ;) then any price is fair. 400 hours was worth the £5 ish i spent on that game at release!

Luna and Dust like this.
  20. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

Um, what other companies...?
    Kerbal: cheaper, Don't Starve: Cheaper, Towns: Cheaper, Gnomoria: Cheaper, Minecraft: Cheaper...and I could go on.
    Are there really games that charge more for pre-orders?

Giving Death and Irrelephant like this.