1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Preorder Price Vote!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Irrelephant, Mar 26, 2013.

?

What is a fair preorder price?

1. 5.00 Dollar 3.89 Euro

24 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. 7.00 Dollar 5.44 Euro

12 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. 10.00 Dollar 7.78 Euro

171 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. 12.00 Dollar 9.33 Euro

121 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. 15.00 Dollar 11.66 Euro

397 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. 20.00 Dollar 15.55 Euro

125 vote(s)
    14.0%
  7. 35.00 Dollar 27.22 Euro

10 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. 50.00 Dollar 38.88 Euro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 60.00 Dollar 46.66 Euro

23 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. No preorder

9 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Leokins

Leokins Subatomic Cosmonaut

But you were being rude. You are a lot of the time. Apologies don't hurt anyone. :rolleyes:

$20 is not too low. Any higher is too high. That's why Tiy specifically asked within that price range between $10 to $15. Have you taken marketing courses or have any experience in sales? Asking for $35 is way too high. :facepalm:

Charon and Zellman like this.
  2. princeofice

princeofice Void-Bound Voyager

Seriously Chucklefish let me throw my money at your faaacccceeess

Leokins likes this.
  3. JPK

JPK Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think that 15$ to 12$ would be okay. Dont Starve pre-order costed me 11€ on Steam which is around 15$ (Dont Starve is epic game).

4. Leokins

Leokins Subatomic Cosmonaut

That confused me. Did you mean $15 to $21 or actually $12 to $15? :rofl:

Trancos and JPK like this.
  5. Kenkimaru

Kenkimaru Void-Bound Voyager

I am totally fine with 15.00 Dollar 11.66 Euro or 20.00 Dollar 15.55 Euro - I hope steam does the math right... but who am i kidding?!

6. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

They've already shared a lot about things that would and wouldn't make it to the release.

~ockpii

Affero and Luna like this.
  7. Krejgo

Krejgo Void-Bound Voyager

15 dollar is somewhat like too expensive for me ...
    Come on, I mean Tiy wants as many people to get this game. But not everyone has so many money to spend on games. Especially a game that's gonna be boring on Singleplayer
    In my opinion, most of people buy this game will buy one for friends too. Just like me,
    Sorry for my bad English

Johan likes this.
  8. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Let me say one thing.
    I think there is a price range when pepole(like me at least) say "What's this?Oh cool,rewiews are good,let's try it."
    That's from 5,90 € to 14,90€.After that I honestly give up much more easily.
    Now,if the preorder price is less than the retail version I'd say 12-13 $ is good,otherwise go for 15$.To pepole who say "15 preorder and 20 full game" you are asking 25% discount on the original price,and it's not like minecraft,at all.

Trancos likes this.
  9. Imtherenothere

Imtherenothere Orbital Explorer

I get your point and i agree with it parcially - they´re working hard and with sacrificies to make a wonderful game, so they should (and will) be rewarded for that. But if you see it well, only big title games are overpriced because the player if paying for a lot of other costs that are not related to the game his actually buying (which are tech, staff, publicity, ect...).

25 dls/20 euros is a fair price, i would say. If Starbound sales hit 1 million of copies (like Terraria, maybe more i dunno?) devs will be properly rewarded and able to create the games they want without having to worry about money for a long time.

We just have to our part, which is buying the game and 'selling' Starbound to all the players we know ;).

Luna likes this.
  10. Ztrains

Ztrains Orbital Explorer

$15 for preorder, $20 for full price

11. Trancos

Trancos Aquatic Astronaut

I completely agree with you. I mean, the whole forum would pay as much as they'd ask us to. I'd pay 30 dollars if I had to. It wouldn't be nice at all, it'd be around 200 argentinian pesos (my local currency), wich is a lot more than 30 dollars are for you guys, yet I'd do it for this game. But for the people who actually don't know the game, which are a lot, asking more than 15 dls for a pre purchase would be overkill. Because a) it wouldn't have any reviews yet, and b) when it does, at least I don't buy anything I don't know for more than 10/15 dls. I'd even go as far as to say they should sell the final release at 15 dls, and no more. There's sort of a "buy barrier" at both 10 and 15 dls, some people don't buy over 10 and some don't over 15, at least with these sort of games (games which aren't made by a company which already made fantastic games, example being Bioshock or Diablo, sans Diablo 3). I think that while 20 dls would yearn them more cash per sale, it would lower the sales to a point where it would be more profitable for them (and us (?)) to sell the game at 10~15 dollars.

But well, that's my opinion.

I apologize in advance for my English, in case that what I said wasn't understandable enough :p

Mianso, Luna and Dust like this.
  12. Lomi

Lomi 2.7182818284590...

£10 pre-order - £15 retail(which is $15 - $20 give or take)

Probably with an option to donate more if you feel like supporting the game more.

Alternatively maybe some sort of bulk discount. $20 for a copy, buy two for $30. I would imagine a lot of people want to buy a copy for a friend/relative too.

Kingpendragon and Luna like this.
  13. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

Little bit of statistical analysis based on current votes(and simplified assumptions):

If people only pay a maximum price as the price they voted for (so I voted $10 if I was only willing to pay up to that amount and no more and every other voter was of the same mindset) and only those who voted would buy the pre-order. Also if each vote was only 1 sale. The breakdown of how much money would be made based on each option and the tally of votes so far:

$60 : 11 Votes : $660 in sales
    $50 : 11 Votes for this price or above : $550 in sales
    $35 : 19 Votes ^ : $665
    $20 : 89V : $1780
    $15 : 324V : $4860
    $12 : 398V : $4776
    $10 : 501V : $5010
    $7 : 507V : $3549
    $5 : 520V : $2600

Obviously setting the price at $5 will get the most pre-order sales, but I and (I hope) many others believe the starbound team deserve a better reward for their time.

the $10-15 bracket is the sweet spot with funnily enough the middle value being worst financially, but this is probably more due to the small sample size.

I don't know how much to multiply that to be reasonable: I would be guessing for every voter you can multiply by at least 10, but thats a stab in the dark really.

p.s. Can we stay on topic please, no more remarks about rudeness? If you think someone is being rude, point it out privately, or mark the post for a moderator to review. Thank you.

Irrelephant and blind sniper like this.
  14. 2-i-love-math-zedomx-blog1.jpg

Irrelephant likes this.
  15. Duex

Duex Cosmic Narwhal

Seeing as how the pre-order would be discounted i say $10 for the pre-order price and $15 or $20 for the full game

16. Lomi

Lomi 2.7182818284590...

That assumes that Chucklefish get 100% of all sales. For example if we say that each unit costs Chucklefish $2 to distibute then it would all look very different

$60 : 11 Votes : $638 in sales
    $50 : 11 Votes for this price or above : $528 in sales
    $35 : 19 Votes ^ : $627
    $20 : 89V : $1602
    $15 : 324V : $4212
    $12 : 398V : $3980
    $10 : 501V : $4008
    $7 : 507V : $2535
    $5 : 520V : $1560

Of course I have no way of knowing what the cost of each unit to produce is. Could be very low with digital distribution, could be just a %. I am really only putting this out there because we don't have a lot else to talk about :) But anyway, as you can see if there is a cost, then it could really move the 'right' price anywhere.

17. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

This is a possible outcome. Although I think in a larger amount of sales, $15 would be acceptable by most people that think Starbound has potential, if that theory proves to be correct, then that would include everyone that voted for $10. The question would be if they think it's worth it.

Most probably, most if not all who wants to get Starbound would gladly pay $15 for a pre-order (beta). That's just my opinion though, just wanted to share my thoughts on the subject. :coffee:

Irrelephant likes this.
  18. Luna

Luna Pangalactic Porcupine

Did Tiy ever say anything about the pre-order being cheaper? Everyone seems to think so...

19. Tester383

Tester383 Zero Gravity Genie

Kitty Box and Luna like this.
  20. Irrelephant

Irrelephant Big Damn Hero

exactly what I was thinking
    Probably the most important post in this thread.
    same here
    yes he did, here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/your-feedback-on-a-preorder.16281/
    May I refer you to this thread for this comment:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/your-feedback-on-a-preorder.16281/