1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Preorder Price Vote!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Irrelephant, Mar 26, 2013.

?

What is a fair preorder price?

1. 5.00 Dollar 3.89 Euro

24 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. 7.00 Dollar 5.44 Euro

12 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. 10.00 Dollar 7.78 Euro

171 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. 12.00 Dollar 9.33 Euro

121 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. 15.00 Dollar 11.66 Euro

397 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. 20.00 Dollar 15.55 Euro

125 vote(s)
    14.0%
  7. 35.00 Dollar 27.22 Euro

10 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. 50.00 Dollar 38.88 Euro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 60.00 Dollar 46.66 Euro

23 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. No preorder

9 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Kenwei2

Kenwei2 Cosmic Narwhal

I think $15 preorder is a perfect price and of course more for the full release. I also want to add in that I would love for their to be tier options such as preorder bundled with digital content such as art and soundtrack. For the digital content option I would easily pay $10-15 more so $25-30 for full preorder. This is mainly because I love the music lol and I'm sure the art would blow me away as well although I haven't seen as much as I have heard the music.

2. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

So yes, $15 dollars fit :)

3. Irrelephant

Irrelephant Big Damn Hero

Wow, this took off QUICKLY. It's at 158 votes!

4. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

I think the two people who voted $60 should get their heads examined. if $60 is the pricetag for pre-order how many people are going to buy it? there are a few very vocal die hard fans of the game on this forum who have said they would pay such and more. (I'm guessing it's those same die hardists who voted that much in the first place, but I digress) But very few others would pay that much for this kind of game unless Tiy spent more than he can probably afford on high profile advertising.

I voted $10 on the basis that release price was estimated to be about $15 and Tiy said he wanted to offer pre-order at a discount.

Irrelephant likes this.
  5. Luna

Luna Pangalactic Porcupine

I've seen a lot of preorder packages from $100-$200, some even going near $300. Sure, these come with stuff like books and figures, but...
    Even preorders (and release-date prices) that don't come with bonuses can get up to $80, or higher if you live in certain countries.

6. Aidoboy

Aidoboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

I believe Tiy said he wanted to keep the price in the range of 15 to 20 dollars

7. CoherentManatee

CoherentManatee Space Penguin Leader

$15 seems like a decent price, if not slightly low, but I think for a discounted pre-order price it's nice -and the reasonable price will attract more people in which should equate to more sales.

8. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

If I remember correctly he actually said $10-$15 range.

I really hope that the chucklefish team doesn't fall for the forum group-think and price the game too high at release. I've passed over many games on Steam that I wasn't familiar with simply because they had a high price tag. If I didn't know what Starbound was, I probably wouldn't pay more than $15 for it.

Luna, Dust and Cosmin Negoita like this.
  9. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

Actually Zellman has a very good point. Don't go above $20-$25 at release, even tho these are kinda high prices for a game that not a lot of people know about. I mean, it has so much potential that it would be a shame to be ignored by those that don't know what it is because of the price.

Irrelephant and Dzelda like this.
  10. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Exactly what Capn Negolia said. There have been many a masterpiece of gaming I have passed up because the game publishers have become greedy. Dont fall for the lure of pricing the game higher for more money. The demand may end up falling off, and for a new indie developer like you on your first big title; thats bad news as Sonic would say. Fifteen dollars is more than enough of what Im willing to pay, and you will get a more than steady supply of people who will buy this game for cheap, thinking theyve beaten the economy, until they play it and go"WHOA. This game is awesome."

Thats when they tell their friends. Super win for you!

11. Irrelephant

I don't think there's any danger of them
    The voting goes the other way right now (not to say that the outcome of the vote determines the price, but it's going to have some sway considering he was asking for input), and as you said, tiyuri said he was thinking of the 10-15$ range.

12. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

15-20 dollars seems like a good sweet spot given this crowd.

Irrelephant likes this.
  13. Steevo90

Steevo90 Void-Bound Voyager

$15 pre-order and $20 retail sounds like a nice price range. Still feels a bit low for the level of quality I've seen, but I'm buying 3 copies anyway. ;)

14. Sid_M

Sid_M Big Damn Hero

Tiy said that some had taken second jobs, and you obviously think quite a few things are rude. I am not going to apologize for a petty remark. I am simply stating the devs should see a good price for their work, and anything under $20 is too low IN MY OPINION. Just an opinion, nothing more.

15. harnackam

harnackam Ketchup Robot

All I hope for is the price to be less than $40. I'd be fine with $30.

16. Irrelephant

Edited for statistical analysis.

17. ON3i11

ON3i11 Tentacle Wrangler

I definitely think it should be $10 dollars for the pre-order price (with no bonus goodies) and $15 for the regular price. Although I'm going to want to get as much pre-order goodies as possible, so I will likely pay more than $10 :geek:

18. AllenKS

AllenKS Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I don't get it.. If I pre-order a game from Gamespot or something and put 5$ down.. It's -$5 off of the full price, which I have to pay when it releases anyway.

Why does a pre-order price matter.. Especially when most people here are saying "Yeah! $15/$20 is great." Might as well be the full 20 at that point.

So is this thread for a traditional "pre-order", or an early purchase of the full game at a discounted rate?

Luna likes this.
  19. hirshell

hirshell Void-Bound Voyager

15$ preorder, 20$ on release.
    2 dollars for major patch to keep the game going!

20. LordShrimp

LordShrimp Orbital Explorer

I would pay more then the retail price if it would give me extra content.