1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Preorder Price Vote!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Irrelephant, Mar 26, 2013.

?

What is a fair preorder price?

1. 5.00 Dollar 3.89 Euro

24 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. 7.00 Dollar 5.44 Euro

12 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. 10.00 Dollar 7.78 Euro

171 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. 12.00 Dollar 9.33 Euro

121 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. 15.00 Dollar 11.66 Euro

397 vote(s)
    44.5%
  6. 20.00 Dollar 15.55 Euro

125 vote(s)
    14.0%
  7. 35.00 Dollar 27.22 Euro

10 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. 50.00 Dollar 38.88 Euro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 60.00 Dollar 46.66 Euro

23 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. No preorder

9 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

Basically, this is how I figure the Preorder price should work:

It should be tiered, with a number of options designed to hit as much of a target audience as possible, while still tempting people into spending more.

Option A: Half or or about 2/3rds launch price, basically just the game. More or less, this is an early adopter option, it's cheaper because you paid earlier. You could put a limit on this to keep too many people from bandwagoning, if that is desirable.

Option B: Same as the launch day price, maybe a few bucks off because that seems to be what all the cool kids do. Basically, this is your standard pre-order and get a bonus fare. Maybe some special account bound items that make early game easier, possibly a special edition of the game's soundtrack, and a couple nifty cosmetics, maybe even Ty's Scarf since everyone seems to love it so much. Exclusive or not, that is the question, it would really depend on how the starbound crew wants to play things.

Option C: SuperDeluxeAwesome Preorder Package. Anywhere from an extra 50% more expensive, to double the price. I'm really not sure what you'd put in this, but this would basically be the tier where you get all of the above plus stuff like a digital dev sketchbook, a special contributor title in the credits, etc. If they can afford it, possibly real life stuff like a limited edition hard copy of the game or an actual on-your-wall poster at this tier or a higher one, are good ideas as well.

Of course, you can have more tiers in between these, but just as a general layout this sort of tier system seems to work well as you can meet a wide range of price points while giving the player something extra for being early or generous.

Irrelephant likes this.
  2. Elenoe

Elenoe Big Damn Hero

$15 seems nice, can support more for... cuties :)

3. Oompaloompa

Oompaloompa Aquatic Astronaut

As much as $10 would be better for, well, everyone, I would be more than willing to donate $15 to the Starbound development team for their hard work.

4. LΛZΞЯ

LΛZΞЯ Void-Bound Voyager

I think $16 pre-order and $20 release.

5. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

I think 15 dollars would be fine, they deserve it.

6. Irrelephant

Irrelephant Big Damn Hero

Wow, this took off! Like several people have suggested, I would like a tiered approach, but I don't know if the developers are into that.

7. Luci

Luci Subatomic Cosmonaut

> Lower price attracts more customers
    > More customers love the game
    > More customers purchase extra copies for others
    > ???
    > Profit

Exactly this.

Irrelephant and shardival like this.
  8. caskett

caskett Pangalactic Porcupine

I think $10 pre-order, $15 retail would be a great deal for us but then they would get less profit, so there is a variety of reasonable options.

9. HappySailor

HappySailor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would pay sizable dollars for starbound, If they do the pay more for bonus packages, then my dollar limit for any online purchase sits around 85$, but it has to be some good stuff in order for me to pay that much. As for what the preorder price should be, something a little less then $15? They said 14.99 was their optimal price, so pre-order should be less than that. My vote is 20% off, because any less than that makes me feel like I am not paying enough

10. caskett

Did Chucklefish say that is was going to be around $15 retail?

11. Luna

Luna Pangalactic Porcupine

I really don't think the price should be reduced. If anything, it should cost more... anyone who really wants the bonuses (beta?) will gladly pay a higher price, and it would give the developers a little more support and a little more reason to continue working on the game.

12. caskett

That is true, but pre-ordering tells them that we are dedicated to the game so I think they should give us a little bit off.

13. Irrelephant

Irrelephant Big Damn Hero

Ya, preorders are traditionally less money, unless it's a manner of support, like a VIP thing. I'm pretty sure they're expecting the preorder to be less than the price of the game.

14. NNV

NNV Big Damn Hero

This community is mighty generous. Whereas I don't mind throwing my money at the developers, guys, don't make me go broke.

Dust, Pigeon and Luna like this.
  15. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

My extremely subjective rubric:
    In a tiered reward model, 15 dollars.
    Otherwise, 10-12 dollars.

16. Mays

Mays Space Hobo

10 dollars at first, once released, 15-17 dollars.

17. Pigeon

Pigeon Cosmic Narwhal

"You guys make me disappointed" Is kinda rude
    "Lowballing the developers" An accusation, rude.
    Also you said they will barely break even, how do you know about there finances, how do you know they won't break even? Assuming, rude.

Also if for a pre-order price it's $15 and we have about 40,000 forum members who all seem pretty hyped and if they pre-order at a discounted price the team will earn $600,000 and if half pre-order and half full price $20 purchase. They will earn $700,000. Also, if TB and Jesse do a video a load more people will get in on this probably making it like terraira so if they get 1,000,000 sales like terraria then that is $20,000,000. Need I go on?

Leokins, Dust and Luna like this.
  18. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

if preorder is the discounted price i say $10 dollars and 15-20 as regular price the reason i say 10 is for a few reasons

number 1 its hard for me to get money im unemplyed im looking for a job though
    number 2 the cheaper the game is the more copies i can get people to buy at my college meaning more copies sold for chuckle fish

number 3 server community i help run my dad and his friend own it they handle the costs of server maitnence and stuff. because time in game allows them to spend time with there familys because there across the world from us

[disclaimer: these are my personal reasons for why i voted the way i did and they do not endorse or reflect the opinions of other forum members]

19. caskett

No, that is really straight forward and actually makes sense, good job :mwahaha:

20. Redheat

Redheat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I voted 15$ but I'd also be ok with 20$