Modding Discussion Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Cemo, Jul 8, 2016.

?

Would you be interested in something like this?

1. Yes

84 vote(s)
    93.3%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Cemo

Cemo Phantasmal Quasar

Having kids in SDV is seems kinda lackluster. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a mod that makes pregnancy more exciting.

With like maybe a reduced stamina for female farmers, special dialogue from your friends congratulating you/saying you or your wife glow/etc, or maybe like a special event or two at the doctor's office.

Unfortunately, I have no mod-making knowledge but I'd love hear everybody's thoughts and ideas on something like this!

• Beon

Beon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For a female farmer this idea is very useless. Stuff like doing heavy lifting can cause a miscarriage especially in the early pregnancy phase. The more the pregnancy progresses the less can the f!farmer do outside. Maybe run the household, but not doing heavy labor.

• Cemo

Cemo Phantasmal Quasar

I wasn't thinking of being that accurate with it. Just a slightly reduced stamina and a maybe like a little pop-up that says, "hey take it easy, you're pregnant". Pregnancy is short in the game anyways that I don't think it'd be too much of a nuisance.

Delta9 and cankersaur like this.
        • Delta9

Delta9 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I want a mod like that!

Yeah, it's a nuisance. You know what's a nuisance in real life? Pregnancy. There are mods making fishing harder, mining harder, farming harder, why is this "useless" because it makes in-game pregnancy harder?

You could maybe break it up into trimesters, with different things happening in each. Like in trimester 1, food could restore less health/stamina to represent morning sickness. And then maybe in trimester 3, you'd actually have an indicator that would tell you you were hungry and slowly sap stamina every 10 minutes after that until you ate something. That might be getting complicated, but I want that so bad!

I wouldn't object if there were things that could cause miscarriage, like maybe letting your health reach 0 too many times or something would cause an event at the doctor's and the save file changed to reset your pregnancy status.

In any case, I'm 100% for this idea, and please let me know if there's anything I could do to help you out. I'm not very experienced, but I'm decent with pixel art already and I'm a fast learner. :)

• CanCan49666

CanCan49666 Void-Bound Voyager

I absolutely love this Idea, and I have plans to move on to api modding in the future, if so, I will try to find a way to do this... just don't get too exited

Cemo likes this.
            • Cemo

Cemo Phantasmal Quasar

Sorry, forgot to reply when I first read this. Unfortunately, since I've done no modding before and I don't even know how I'd go about starting this.

That would be awesome! If/when you start be sure to come back and post here so we can find a way to help!

• Gwenhwyfar

Gwenhwyfar Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was thinking, why not make pregnancy a bit harder for male farmers as well?

I know there are wives that aren't just that complacent around their husbands during pregnancy: mood swings, cravings, and errands to help the wife.

You could make it more difficult for the male farmer by adding these features:
                1. The male farmer randomly wakes up on some days to get a request from the wife on some food they're craving. These quests have a one day time limit and the farmer could lose some relationship points if he fails the task.
                2. Not talking to the wife each day, during pregnancy, could penalize on relationship points more severely because the wife needs support during this time.
                3. Other errands to help the wife can be done, such as grocery shopping, helping the wife stand up and sit down..... Giving the wife back rubs?... Err, I don't know! Anything that husbands can do for their wives while they're pregnant!
                4. Male farmer could randomly wake up on some days with some missing stamina due to stress over the pregnancy or feeling overworked from tending to the farm and wife.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
                  IronZelly, Ghunter43 and Delta9 like this.
                • Sezuki

Sezuki Void-Bound Voyager

I love the idea. Especially the parts about making it into a difficult hurdle to overcome for both male and female. My idea would be to make the whole pregnancy into one long "quest chain" or such - one would need to complete specific tasks to "progress" before the baby is born

Delta9 likes this.
                  • Delta9

Delta9 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I love that idea! I mean, you might have some extremely long pregnancies, but.. It's fun!

• CanCan49666

CanCan49666 Void-Bound Voyager

good point!, it still sounds cool, tho

• Cerridwyn_Morgana

Cerridwyn_Morgana Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love this idea. The fact that a year is broken into 4 months makes me think that a pregnancy should be about 2 1/2 months, in-game, to make it a bit more realistic. Also the baby stages need to last longer. There should also be a house upgrade to build a new kids' room on so that we can have lots more babies (2 is not enough).

• RTGOAT

RTGOAT Cosmic Narwhal

I was looking into quite a bit of this kind of thing not too long ago.

When I have some extra time and experience the pregnancy in my own play-through, I'll likely be implementing some
                          extras.

Cemo likes this.