1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Post here if you are an XP user crashing at Chucklefish logo.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Suhr, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [wots]tehgadgetguy

[wots]tehgadgetguy Void-Bound Voyager

I am also having this issue with starbound. same freeze at the logo.

running windows xp 32 bit

2. Moppu

Moppu Seal Broken

Throw my name on the pile. Same problem. 32-bit XP SP3.

Tried messing with the resolution in that config file, and while I managed to not get it to be a huge window anymore, it still locks up at the same spot.

No CPU activity, no hard drive activity, fixed memory usage (650ish M:cool:. It's like it's just deadlocked on something.

I have tried both the standard and opengl binaries, they both do the same thing. People are suggesting I "just wait a few minutes" or "try again" and well, I haven't had any luck with that yet either after 15ish attempts of at least 5 minutes each.

I've considered trying fullscreen=true, but XP is so terrible at fullscreen that I get the feeling I'd have to just reboot if it hung up again.

3. Cousin Chang

Cousin Chang Void-Bound Voyager

I also crash at the Chucklefish logo. Many people thing its just a matter of waiting, but that isn't the case for all of us. I know it isn't for me. I waited literally 2 hours without touching anything, and I was still stuck on the logo.

4. Jailwhale

Jailwhale Tentacle Wrangler

I just rean it
    it crashed at the logo a few times
    restarted it twice
    but on the third time i closed the launcher
    did not click
    and it went to title screen.

5. Curak

Curak Void-Bound Voyager

XP SP3 for me and my g/f, hangs on both.

6. I just got on the twitch stream and the devs said that the reason it's not loading on XP is because they never put a progress bar so we cant see it but on older machines it takes forever to load, and on older hard drives it will go VERY Slowly and they will not be working on improving or fixing it until they get to the PAC files.

In other words we are all in for a long wait, guess its time to move on to something else for a while, what a shame.

yep it sucks.

7. R_C_A^

R_C_A^ Pangalactic Porcupine

Win XP SP3
    Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz dual core
    4GB
    geforce 8400GS

Same deal as every one else :/

8. SpaceApple

SpaceApple Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I guess I was right after all. I was really hoping they would prove me wrong. Time to get that refund.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    Covert0ddity likes this.
  9. CaviosDaryll

CaviosDaryll Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have Windows XP, but my machine is definitely not old. I have a SSD, which means it should load VERY quickly. There's more bugs in this than they've realized, so add onto whatever mental estimates you've made.

S. P. Gardebiter likes this.
  10. KevinFragger2427

KevinFragger2427 Pangalactic Porcupine

I am one of them. We are definitly not a minority. It is NOT a waiting issue, either.

11. My pc isn't old to say the least, I have a 1TB SATA HDD as well as an aftermarket video card and sound card.

I'm going off what I heard from the horses mouth, not my assumptions. I hope it's something they haven't spotted yet and not so much loading issues.

12. S. P. Gardebiter

S. P. Gardebiter Master Chief

No CPU as well as no HDD activity here, so don't think I'm seriously believing that it's because it's just loading too slow.
    I mean what kind of algorithm would that be anyway, that would be so slowly only because you're using an older OS?

13. Eradrann

Eradrann Void-Bound Voyager

We were all hoping you were just a paranoid lunatic. God damn. But how long can it really take to alter the PAC files? I can't see that really taking much time at all.

14. murdog

murdog Orbital Explorer

NOT TRYING TO BE A DICK but wtf how was this not tested befor hand and how can it take that long to laod when i can load crysis and the new civ game just fine lol

did they forget tuns of people still use xp gerrrrrrrrrawail o well

15. CaviosDaryll

CaviosDaryll Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What are PAC files anyway and what are they used for?

16. Rebul

Rebul Void-Bound Voyager

I was getting the same problems but got it to work if i set the starbound.exe to launch in compatibility mode for windows Vista service pack 2.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  17. senritsu

senritsu Seal Broken

Me too don`t think this is loading problem, don`t hear hdd working after fish logo ended.I`d even removed pc cover to listen if there is any sound of working hdd;P It must be something else.

18. KevinFragger2427

KevinFragger2427 Pangalactic Porcupine

DotBeta, you're an awesome guy, and I'm not trying to sway you here, but Kyren misunderstood our case this time. She said that the reason why it was taking so long was because our antiviruses were basically scanning the entire Starbound game file. Having just ran a scan over my Starbound game, I can conclude that three minutes is definitly not a long time, at all. In truth, after two hours of waiting, I realize that it isn't a problem with waiting. Rather this is because the beta version is not meant to be played on XP, simply because, as most people have said, it is a somewhat dated OS.

Covert0ddity, Eradrann and DotBeta like this.
  19. murdog

murdog Orbital Explorer

dude what part of xp users dont u all get if your on win7 or 8 or vista or 95 or 3.1 or dos GTFO

STOP SAYING IFIXED IT IF U DO BLA BLA BLA BLA READ THE TITTLE XP USERS FOR XP NOT EXPERIENCE POINTS THE OS WINDOWS XP LOL gawd

Pingeh likes this.
  20. SpaceApple

SpaceApple Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not many do actually. Mostly just poor people like myself. I can't afford a PC that can run Windows 7 and by the time I can, it won't be possible to get Windows 7.

I've been disappointed by video games so much in the past few years I try to look at everything negatively so it's easier to be pleasantly surprised. It makes bad news like this less disappointing.

Laziness. Chucklefish just might be another Mojang. Let's see how many vacations they take.

kentelljd, Eradrann and Pingeh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.