1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Post here if you are an XP user crashing at Chucklefish logo.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Suhr, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vergial

Vergial Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Welp, latest patch offers an interesting error for me.

Launching in OpenGL results in this:

JsonParsingException: Error parsing json: bad string, should be "" at 5:1
    007CC149
    004DB5CF
    004DE909
    004DF972
    00407C07
    004D9551

That sits for a little before a runtime exception occurs and just kills Starbound.

Launching in standard results in this:

JsonParsingException: Error parsing json: bad string, should be "" at 5:1
    00958AA62 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:15)
    007CE529 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarVariant.cpp:155)...(2)
    004E1D52 (C:/starbound/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:58)
    004D8931 (c:\SDL-1.2.15/./src/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)

Not too sure what to make of all this, really. Anyone with idears?

2. Vergial

Vergial Scruffy Nerf-Herder

WELP. It seems to do with mods, apparently. Something about the .modinfo was wrong, but I can't figure it out. I DID try to make it myself based on Molly's example, but it clearly didn't like her example stuff. Hm. I'll post the content of the modinfo here for everyone's perusal.

----------------
    {
    "name" : "Dustifier",
    "Version" : "Beta v.Offended Koala",
    "Path" : ".",
    }
    ----------------

I didn't use a Dependencies section since, as far as I can tell, it has no dependencies on other mods (it's the only mod I use anyway). Perhaps it's necessary? If it is, how would I add it to the file without ticking the game off again?

3. Redtremordragon

Redtremordragon Subatomic Cosmonaut

It seems that it works in opengl mode but its rendered unplayable because of lag and it outright crashes at standard mode.

4. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

Hi Red, Could you post your Computer specs? :) I believe they fixed the WinXP problem of it refusing to load.

5. omegadrace

omegadrace Cosmic Narwhal

Have they? I haven't been able to get the default mode past the loading screen at all, whereas opengl mode works like a charm, no framerate issues and quick load times.

6. Loxy

7. omegadrace

XP sp3
    Geforce 7900GS
    2gb RAM
    Pentium Dual Core E6500 @ 2.93GHz each
    Plenty of hdd.

8. Loxy

Haunting this side of the forum seems to show a consistency of late with Dual core processors having a hard time handling Starbound.
    Yours is possibly (more so hopefully!) just an optimization issue that will gradually recover as they clean house on the game over the course of Beta.

Your 2Gbs of Ram is a slight concern. But not too much of an issue.
    If it runs on Open GL fine then I wouldn't worry, keep an eye on the patch notes for any optimization pointers and keep trying :)

9. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

Your CPU is OK since it's basic clock speed is only 2.93 GHz you could easily boost it using your bios
    Your graphics card might be your downfall though it depends on how much memory it has

everything else though seems minimum but good enough

10. Loxy

I believe the GS variant is only 256mb, But don't quote me on that!
    It most certainity right now in Starbounds current development state towards the minimum requirements I would suggest.

11. NightFire

If you're correct then that's his major downfall
    It may be the minimum but the minimum is always a lie

It's not always about the CPU when it comes to sandbox games ;)

12. Loxy

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/geforce_7900.html
    Digged alittle further, its the 256mb -fistpump-

Oddly enough for you to say that. Of late, its been the higher end computers having the larger, more fiddly issues to fix, Especially with even getting the game to run.

Apparently its good to find a good solid middle ground. xD
    And avoid i7's completely, Intel really does not like this game. :(

back to the problem here though, It most likely is, Its low end for current development. but if he can run it on OpenGL with no quarms then more power to him. :)

13. omegadrace

If it really is the GPU then that won't be a problem for much longer, as I'll be upgrading it soon.

14. NightFire

well... that sucks lol
    I just recently ordered a new laptop with a i7 that runs about 3.4 GHz....
    and yea i was reading about that
    it seems people with the mega computers can't play this game at all

Well wish me luck then

15. Loxy

Aha xD I have never liked the i7s much. :(

My Girlfriends computer is an i7 that runs at 3.4GHz, With the beautiful Geforce 520 sitting inside. She was a ton happy with it until I got my AMD set back from the Overclockers.

AMD Quadcore 4.9GHz, Running alongside a HD radeon 7770. My face was pure magic, The sheer anger in her eyes was more then enough when she realised it was nearly 3 times faster at everything. :rofl:

16. NightFire

I'm not a big AMD fan :p the numbers are just sheer confusing
    and why make someone overclock it when you have the internet in front of you?

Also the laptop comes with a GTX 760 and around 2GB of mem!... probably won't be as fast as yours but at least i can play Starbound, Garry's Mod, and black flags without lagging to death!
    And it's a laptop :)

17. Loxy

Well.. Funny story. I'm somewhat of a wuss.. :( I'd rather pay someone else to do the fiddly stuff then me crash and burn my own property :p
    That andI'm not even a technical guy, I work in the Land sector (left IT a few years back when I couldn't sit at a desk for longer then 10 minutes before bursting into tears :rofl: )

But I'm fine sitting at home after a day of working out in the woods, helping everyone else here with problems I'm lucky to know about in a fashion.

That Lappy should burn through most of todays stuff too :D

18. NightFire

Well i hope it does! I just hope i didnt buy the wrong model.... the difference is small but it can impact my gameplay harshly...
    the first model uses a GTX 750
    the second one which i hope i bought uses the 760...

Either way it's still good...
    Also if you ever want to do something yourself and MAINLY WITH COMPUTERS!! always remeber to get a ESD protective mat and make sure the humidity is up!
    less issues that way...

19. Loxy

Not huge nope, But you can note the difference if your into your more visually enhancing stuff.

I have about 90 of those mats locked away in a store cupboard, We were force fed them.. literally :(

20. NightFire

Eh it's better safe then sorry lol
    And honestly i say i don't care about detail but... when you play the game and then set it to low... you feel the pain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.