1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Post here if you are an XP user crashing at Chucklefish logo.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Suhr, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sil3nst

sil3nst Void-Bound Voyager

the game launches and plays fine for me, but when i try to go anywhere on my ship it crashes with a direct3d error associated with SDL.DLL. so... until/if the next patch fixes this, i am stuck on the first world....

2. TeddyGrams

TeddyGrams Tentacle Wrangler

i get a similar error i can play for about 15 minutes then my resolution changes and i get this error...

---------------------------
    Error
    ---------------------------
    GraphicsException: Could not create the Direct3d device: Creation call was invalid
    00408F53 (C:/starbound/source/graphics/StarGraphicsCommon.hpp:8)
    004093B0 (C:/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:645)
    0040AA0D (C:/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:237)
    00407C7F (C:/starbound/source/client/main.cpp:49)
    004DB911 (c:\SDL-1.2.15/./src/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)

3. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

That DLL file is the one which was fixed by Sammy, that is now broken..

:(

4. TeddyGrams

TeddyGrams Tentacle Wrangler

worked fine when i had sammy's SDL file installed.

Milavelo likes this.
  5. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin.

Before big update with Sammy's fix = Works fine

Big update launched, now Sammy's is broken and the game is worse than it was, despite "working".

Since at least before, with Sammy's fix, the game worked AND had stable FPS.

6. Kanedork

Kanedork Subatomic Cosmonaut

[​IMG]

My feelings regarding this patch, in which the new SDL.dll is the brick. ;__;

Milavelo likes this.
  7. Partack

Partack Astral Cartographer

i play starbound on windows 7 on a decent gaming rig and I get a significant FPS boost if I play it windowed.
    just thought i'd mention that.

8. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

The only real thing I'm dreading at this point is the devs shelving our support.

They've focused on a fix, yes, and made great progress and work.

I appreciate them for that, still... gotta look towards the future, maaaan..

9. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

It's fine
    LEGALLY they can't really drop XP support mainly since it has already stated so on steam
    however they could just do a crappy job on it

Because if they just change there minds and say "uh oh we can't do this anymore guys :(:(:(" people would technically be obligated to a refund if they wish... mainly since it stated so on steam

and keep in mind that steam hates refunds lol so there would be some sort of major conflict with the XP community and starbound
    But i'm not a lawyer so they could probably rip us off and eventually a user will get annoyed and make a fix... like sammy did

10. Kanedork

"Rip us off"? Now you're assuming things on bad faith. Game's been out for just a week, and the devs have been pretty awesome in regards to our problems, so I wouldn't just go and lose hope yet.

11. NightFire

No... i was suggesting a "What If" case
    I have been following Starbound for 2 years... I wouldnt give up hope that quickly

12. Kanedork

It honestly sounds a bit sensationalistic to me, like adding fuel to a fire that shouldn't even be there. Guess I'll drop it, though, since it's kind of a pointless argument either way.

Edit: In retrospect, I shouldn't engage this kind of stuff personally. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  13. FreakyPie

FreakyPie Void-Bound Voyager

The game work fine since the update, I just have low FPS when there is more than 3 ennemies (especially in dungeons) but it's alright ^^

I just want to thanks Sammy for his fix before the update and Chucklefish for the quick updates. I can't wait to see how the game will keep evolving in the future.

14. HPChaVB

HPChaVB Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Doesn't seem to be XP anymore. My game has been working since Sammy's fix, and now well into the official fix. Solid FPS, no crashes (seriously, I've only had one post-Sammy's fix). If you're having trouble, it's probably individual at this point.

15. Chira

Chira Subatomic Cosmonaut

well i have only lower fps when i play in fullscreen ö.ö
    when i play in windowed on 1024x768, i know thats for some ppls a freaking low reso because they have idk the biggest widescreens EVER xD. but my screen isnt that big o3o, so yea, i am a bit lucky that i have still a small screen and dosnt need a scope to see a 1024x768 resolution xD

16. Looka

Looka Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I solved this bug... playing with another computer. Mwahahahaha. :proper:

17. scarydeaddan

scarydeaddan Void-Bound Voyager

I had XP and switched over to 7. My school district offers free Win 7 downloads so I burned a disk and jumped on the upgrade train. :cool:
    :proper:
    I haven't run the game yet though, but I'll post back here and do research for you guys if I can.
    I am so happy right now
    :rofl::rofl:

18. NightFire

i dont really think that's totally legal... as long as you got there consent before getting it

also you might lag a bit more since you will be running windows 7 on 32 bit lol.... and that it's windows 7.... i reccomend turning off all the fancy stuff before playing to save the most amount of ram

19. Ninjawa

Ninjawa Void-Bound Voyager

Didn't work for me.

20. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

That's because it's outdated by now.

Before these latest big updates, that fix worked.

I can confirm it.

:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.