1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Post here if you are an XP user crashing at Chucklefish logo.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Suhr, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkolian_of_Grophus

Monkolian_of_Grophus Void-Bound Voyager

The update functions for me.
    Thanks, Bartwe.

Partack likes this.
  2. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

Functions just fine for me also
    i see less lag as well

Partack likes this.
  3. CaviosDaryll

CaviosDaryll Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In this latest version, I can play with the Launch Starbound (OpenGL) works for me, though the regular launcher does not. Using the regular launcher, I get the violation errors.

4. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Yeah, You!

Could someone please upload the original SDL.dll file? I foolishly forgot to save it when I used Sammy's fix.

5. Xenoprophet_Nail

Xenoprophet_Nail Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just delete the sdl file, load steam then right click the game in your list and go down to properties, click the local files tab then verify integrity of game cache it should grab it for you.

6. Chira

Chira Subatomic Cosmonaut

then please get a new pc or so
    you should show your starbound log why it crashes, it wont help bartwe when you just say "aahh it dosnt works ~w~" your pc specs with everything would be nice too, not only your processor, OS and ram. anyways

just for telling bartwe.
    for me runs starbound fine now on my win XP SP3 updated java, netframework and direct x9 even the fps drop went down in those ape dungeons X3 it still drops a bit down but not that extreme like it did before
    the travel from planet to planet bug didnt appeared so far aswell and i traveled alot between my 2 main planets in the system (has 2 homes o3o)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  7. Avarice

Avarice Void-Bound Voyager

Game starting working with Sammy's .sdl file, and works even better (better framerate) with the official fix, but...

Often when I teleport from my ship to the planet, or try and fly to a new planet, the game shrinks to a tiny window and alters my resolution settings.

Sometimes I can just hit options and revert it back, but most of the time it crashes to desktop right after.

Very rarely it will do this when entering combat as well, during the small lag spike that usually comes with entering combat.

Anyone else getting this strange crash?

8. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Yeah, You!

Thanks. I tried this, and it didn't work. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the game files through Steam, and am still getting the 'Access Violation Error.' I can launch the Open_GL version, but it is unplayably lagging. Odd because I ran the normal version of the game wonderfully using Sammy's SDL.dll file.

System Specs:

XP Professional
    Version 2002 SP3
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
    T6570 @ 2.10GHz
    1.19 GHz, 2 GB RAM

9. GloomDready

GloomDready Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This update worked wonders for me! :laugh:
    Not a single crash after a full day of playing (single & multiplayer).

Also I can actually start and play it with open gl now.
    Which makes the game run pretty much perfect (only very slight fps drop when beaming down) and only eats a tiny bit of the resources it did before (where before it pretty much consumed ALL my ram and forced windows to expand the virtual memory file).

Kanedork likes this.
  10. Kanedork

Kanedork Subatomic Cosmonaut

Graphics card? :p

(unless I missed them in a previous post, but a cursory glance doesn't say so)

11. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Yeah, You!

Graphics card information pulled through Steams System Info tool:

Video Card:
    Driver: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

DirectX Driver Name: igxprd32.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.10.5160
    DirectX Driver Version: 6.14.10.5160
    Driver Date: 19 Oct 2009
    OpenGL Version: 2.1
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
    DirectX Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

12. Vergial

Vergial Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I finally got some crashes, which bites. First crash popped up when I went to sit in my chair. Game shrunk and spazzed out, so I went right to my Processes tab to kill Starbound. I noticed that, for whatever reason, GameOverlayUI.exe was recreating itself perpetually. Okay, thought I, it might just be Steam's overlay causing THAT crash. Somehow.

So I tried disabling the community before starting the game. NOW it crashes right after character select, without fail. I'm about to try running with the community stuff enabled again, we'll see what happens.

ALRIGHT, so upon restart and re-enabling of community nonsense, I was able to sit in the chair and not set off the End of the Universe Bomb in my chair. Unfortunately, it seems I still get access violations when actually setting a target planet and hitting that lovely 'go' button. Jumping back into the game DOES put me on the destination planet, at least. Still, it's a crash bug thang, so Imma report it.

13. Kanedork

Kanedork Subatomic Cosmonaut

Crossposting in case a dev happens to take a walk through here. Also, it's actually in topic because I'm an XP user crashing at the chucklefish logo! Ahahaha! Ahaha... aha... ahhhhhhh.

I'm humming the "it's a beta" mantra to myself, but after all the hype gameplay I got with Sammy's fix, this development makes me a v. Frustrated Koala indeed.

14. bossfightza

bossfightza Space Hobo

i use window xp professional version 2002 service pack 3

15. bossfightza

bossfightza Space Hobo

It actually work for me too i replace the original SDL file in starbound file and it's work for me now. (If you use sammy's fix what you have to do is get the original SDL file back and replace sammy's fix)

16. Redtremordragon

Redtremordragon Subatomic Cosmonaut

I can play it but I get major lag. Im not sure if its just my computer or other people are getting it.

Milavelo likes this.
  17. Jewman

Jewman Space Hobo

Ok so when I got home I tried to play the game and when I clicked play starbound on the launcher it never came up and I have to close it out of task manager. Also I have tried in openGL mode and validating my steam files or what not I need help

FInally it launched after waiting 30 mins :zzz:

18. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

It's not just you, I get massive unplayable lag on planets too.

Main menu, character creation, on your ship, all works well... EXCEPT PLANETS.

We're talking about a huge FPS drop between this official fix and Sammy's Fan Made Fix.

19. Chira

Chira Subatomic Cosmonaut

then play in a lower resolution or get a better graphic card?
    because i have no FPS trouble (except when i go into those apec dungeons) and i have only a nvidia GT210 and she has 512MB gpu ram o_O
    if you have something better then that is something wrong with your pc öô or your GPU just dosnt likes the game at all =x

well i use XP too and starbound works fine ... and well that spazzing happens to me sometimes too, but only when i try to travel from planet to planet =x

20. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4870 card.

I already was playing the game in a small window, due to it being my preference mind you, not that there was a FPS difference between fullscreen/windowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.